[Mb-hair] New Hair Production in Los Angeles (Silver Lake)

Jonathon Johnson goodhairdays at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 5 18:29:29 PDT 2004

Hello Tribe,

Here's our chance for a small Southern California Be-In. There's a new Hair tribe in the Silver Lake area of Los Angeles that could use our love and support! A super review is pasted below for you which includes information on reserving tickets.

On Saturday August 14th the Associate Producer is arranging a "Hair Party" night. There will be a reserved section for Hair Alumni and depending on how many people reserve, there will be some sort of discount. For more information, call 1-323-667-0955 and say you want to reserve tickets for the 8/14/04 evening performance as part of the "Hair Party."

I will be out of town until August 11th but if you have any questions in the meantime,
please email Raymond Donahey the Associate Producer of the production at; tilvenelf at yahoo.com.

Peace, Love and Blessings ~ Jonathon

HAIR
  With no end in sight to the U.S. conflict in Iraq, James Rado and Gerome Ragni's 1967 anti-war, anti-establishment rock musical resonates loudly once again. In large part, that's due to the first-rate songs, with catchy melodies by Galt MacDermot and playful/pensive lyrics by Rado and Ragni. The script, marginally updated by Rado, is a time capsule of those radically exciting times when American youth was first exposed to psychedelic drugs, acid rock, Eastern religion, sexual freedom and alternative lifestyles. Ragni and Rado's hairy tribe hang out in a park in Greenwich Village staging love-ins and taking drugs that George Berger (a magnetic Jonathan Zenz) dispenses from his pouch. While the others burn their draft cards at a be-in, restless dreamer Claude (René Guerrero) vacillates over whether or not to show up for service, but longs for something more than the life of a dropout. Director Peter Finlayson captures both the comedy and tragedy of Claude's dilemma in a solid
 production brimming with strong singers, notably Sarah Marina Ali and Ana Ortiz. The cast mostly looks and dresses the part, however some of the men's wigs, including a couple of mullets, don't fit the era. Actor-choreographer Atticus Batacan makes the most of the cramped space in fluid dance numbers involving the entire 20-member cast. Knightsbridge Theater, 1944 Riverside Dr., Silver Lake; Sat., 8 p.m.; Sun., 3 p.m.; thru Sept. 18. (323) 667-0955. Written 08/05/2004 (Miriam Jacobson)

Good HAIR Days: A Personal Journey with the American Tribal Love-Rock Musical HAIR, by Jonathon Johnson. For more information on the book and how to order it, visit www.goodhairdays.net. Visit our other websites at www.uversa.net and www.kidstherapyassociates.com.