[Mb-civic] Should one be able to joke about The Crucifixion?

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Mon May 8 14:10:31 PDT 2006

Alex et al:

As the resident minister (LOL), I can state unequivocally that any Christian
who considers any aspect of Christianity "taboo" re humor does not
understand the faith.  Certainly humor that denigrates a person's faith - or
their strongest-held belief system - is, or at least can be, more hurtful
than other types of humor.  This would seem to suggest that such humor be
kept to a minimum, and not be used in a malicious, spiteful or deliberately
hurtful manner.  I think there is a line between satiric or irreverent on
the one hand, and insulting and profane on the other.

But satire is what satire is, and any Christian who gets his/her back up
over the satirization of any aspect of Christianity, including the
crucifixion, is one whose has more "doubt in faith" than strength.
"Humility" alone would preclude a "back up" response.  Add in forgiveness
and patience, and this would preclude resentment or anger as well.

All of that said, this does not mean that a Christian would not have the
right to forego any particular comedian's act if the Christian felt that
such comedian's humor was insulting or profane.

Peace.

P.S.  I loved Life of Brian.