[Mb-civic] A madness for war

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 29 20:33:36 PST 2006

A madness for war

By Derrick Z. Jackson | March 29, 2006 | The Boston Globe

PRESIDENT BUSH said he invaded Iraq to rid the world of a
madman. It is
ever more clearer Bush went mad to start it.

This week, the New York Times reported on a confidential
memo about a
meeting between Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair on
Jan. 31,
2003. It was just before Secretary of State Colin Powell would
go before
the United Nations to convince the world of the planetary threat
of
Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein and ask for a second UN
resolution to
condemn him.

In his Feb. 5 presentation, Powell used excerpts of monitored
conversations and satellite photographs to paint a picture of an
Iraq
where Saddam was feverishly concealing weapons of mass
destruction.
Powell, whose credibility lay in his image as one of the few
members of
the Bush team to have actually fought in war, said, ''We have
first-hand
descriptions of biological weapons factories on wheels and on
rails." He
said Iraq's ''sophisticated facilities" could produce enough
biological
agents in a single month ''to kill thousands upon thousands of
people."

Powell's punch line was, ''Every statement I make today is
backed up by
sources, solid sources. These are not assertions."

But Bush already realized the sources were not panning out.
According to
a Times review of the entire Jan. 31 memo, written by Blair's
foreign
policy adviser, David Manning, it showed that ''the president
and the
prime minister acknowledged that no unconventional weapons
had been
found inside Iraq."

With no weapons, Bush talked about provoking Saddam. ''The
US was
thinking of flying U2 reconnaissance aircraft with fighter cover
over
Iraq, painted in UN colors," the Times quotes the memo as
saying. ''If
Saddam fired on them, he would be in breach."

Bush had come up with an official start date of March 10 which,
according to the memo, ''was when the bombing would begin."
The war
actually began on March 19. The memo summarized the
president as
assuming, ''The air campaign would probably last four days,
during which
some 1,500 targets would be hit. Great care would be taken to
avoid
hitting innocent civilians."

Bush thought the impact of the air onslaught would ensure the
early
collapse of Saddam's regime. Bush thought that the air strikes
''would
destroy Saddam's command and control quickly," Iraq's army
would ''fold
very quickly," and Saddam's Republican Guard would be
''decimated by the
bombing." Bush also assumed in the rebuilding of Iraq that it
was
''unlikely there would be internecine warfare between the
different
religious and ethnic groups."

Even though his growing fears about finding no weapons of
mass
destruction had reached the incredible point of considering
fakery to
make it look like Saddam started the war, Bush had the gall to
go before
the press on Jan. 31 after his meeting with Blair and show no
doubt. A
reporter asked Bush, ''Mr. President, is Secretary Powell going
provide the undeniable proof of Iraq's guilt that so many critics
are
calling for?"

Bush responded, ''Well, all due in modesty, I thought I did a
pretty
good job myself of making it clear that he's not disarming and
why he
should disarm. Secretary Powell will make a strong case about
the danger
of an armed Saddam Hussein. He will make it clear that
Saddam Hussein is
fooling the world, or trying to fool the world. He will make it clear
that Saddam is a menace to peace in his own neighborhood.
He will also
talk about Al Qaeda links, links that really do portend a danger
for
America and for Great Britain, anybody else who loves
freedom."

Powell would deliver on Bush's boast five days later, saying,
''There
can be no doubt that Saddam Hussein has biological weapons
and the
capability to rapidly produce more, many more. . . . With this
track
record, Iraqi denials of supporting terrorism take their place
alongside
the other Iraqi denials of weapons of mass destruction. It is all a
web
of lies."

The web spun by Bush has now cost the lives of 2,300 US
soldiers,
another 200 British and coalition soldiers, and tens of
thousands of
Iraqi civilians. Iraq is closer to civil war than stability. Three
years
later, it is the United States that is not disarming, with Bush
admitting last week that our troops will be needed there past his
presidency. We took out a madman with madness. At a
minimum, there
should be hearings, with Bush under oath. With any more
details like
this, the next step is impeachment.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articl
es/2006/03/29/a_madness_for_war/