[Mb-civic] Apocalyptic President + CA voting action

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 28 16:41:38 PST 2006

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/032406A.shtml

Apocalyptic President
    By Sidney Blumenthal
    The Guardian UK
    Thursday 23 March 2006

  Even some Republicans are now horrified by the influence Bush has given to
the evangelical right.

    In his latest PR offensive President Bush came to Cleveland, Ohio, on
Monday to answer the paramount question on Iraq that he said was on
people's minds: "They wonder what I see that they don't." After mentioning
"terror" 54 times and "victory" five, dismissing "civil war" twice and
asserting that he is "optimistic", he called on a citizen in the audience,
who homed in on the invisible meaning of recent events in the light of two
books, American Theocracy, by Kevin Phillips, and the book of Revelation.
Phillips, the questioner explained, "makes the point that members of your
administration have reached out to prophetic Christians who see the war in
Iraq and the rise of terrorism as signs of the apocalypse. Do you believe
this? And if not, why not?"

    Bush's immediate response, as transcribed by CNN, was: "Hmmm." Then e
said: "The answer is I haven't really thought of it that way. Here's how I
think of it. First, I've heard of that, by the way." The official White ouse
website transcript drops the strategic comma, and so changes the eaning to:
"First I've heard of that, by the way."

    But it is certainly not the first time Bush has heard of the apocalyptic
preoccupation of much of the religious right, having served as evangelical
liaison on his father's 1988 presidential campaign. The Rev Jerry Falwell
told Newsweek how he brought Tim LaHaye, then an influential rightwing
leader, to meet him; LaHaye's Left Behind novels, dramatizing the rapture,
Armageddon and the second coming, have sold tens of millions.

    But it is almost certain that Cleveland was the first time Bush had
heard of Phillips's book. He was the visionary strategist for Nixon's 1968
presidential campaign; his 1969 book, The Emerging Republican Majority,
spelled out the shift of power from the north-east to the south and
south-west, which he was early to call "the sunbelt"; he grasped that
southern Democrats would react to the civil-rights revolution by becoming
southern Republicans; he also understood the resentments of urban ethnic
Catholics towards black people on issues such as crime, school integration
and jobs. But he never imagined that evangelical religion would transform
the coalition he helped to fashion into something that horrifies him.

    In American Theocracy, Phillips describes Bush as the founder of "the
first American religious party"; September 11 gave him the pretext for
"seizing the fundamentalist moment"; he has manipulated a "critical
religious geography" to hype issues such as gay marriage. "New forces were
being interwoven. These included the institutional rise of the religious
right, the intensifying biblical focus on the Middle East, and the
deepening of insistence on church-government collaboration within the GOP
electorate." It portended a potential "American Disenlightenment,"
apparent in Bush's hostility to science.

    Even Bush's failures have become pretexts for advancing his
transformation of government. Exploiting his own disastrous emergency
management after Hurricane Katrina, Bush is funneling funds to churches as
though they can compensate for governmental breakdown. Last year David
Kuo, the White House deputy director for faith-based initiatives, resigned
with a statement that "Republicans were indifferent to the poor".

    Within hours of its publication, American Theocracy rocketed to No 1 on
Amazon. At US cinemas, V for Vendetta - in which an imaginary Britain,
ruled by a totalitarian, faith-based regime that rounds up gays, is a
metaphor for Bush's America - is the surprise hit. Bush has succeeded in
getting American audiences to cheer for terrorism.

------
    Sidney Blumenthal, a former senior adviser to President Clinton, is
    the uthor of The Clinton Wars.

***