[Mb-civic] SHOULD READ: Strategies for a global counterinsurgency - Jonathan Morgenstein, Eric Vickland - Boston Globe Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Mar 28 04:07:59 PST 2006

  Strategies for a global counterinsurgency

By Jonathan Morgenstein and Eric Vickland  |  March 28, 2006  |  The
Boston Globe

US TROOPS in Iraq face an insurgency similar to those confronted by
great powers for centuries. Insurgents hide, wait, and strike on their
own timetables. They wear no uniforms and they utilize tactics of
deception, ambush, and terror. The insurgents strike weaknesses and
dictate the terms of the fight.

Iraq is now a microcosm of the global struggle we face -- a
comprehensive insurgency inadequately described as the global war on
terrorism. In Iraq and around the world, we will never peacefully
dissuade those dedicated to violence against us. They must be captured
or killed. However, the enemy is not just Al Qaeda and other jihadist
groups that share its messianic vision. It is also organized crime,
black markets, and sympathetic local populations, all of which sustain
the insurgency with cash, weapons, and intelligence.

This global insurgency can only be defeated by severing the insurgents'
connections to populations that sustain them. We must isolate and
smother an enemy who thrives by delivering empowerment and vengeance to
populations drowning in poverty, social humiliation, and political
marginalization. These masses in return sustain the enemy -- passively
with cover and actively with fighters. We have to convince those who
passively support the insurgency that we are not their enemy.
Unfortunately, our current strategy overemphasizing military force
drives undecided millions into the insurgents' arms. Not only are we
fighting the war wrong, we are fighting the wrong war.

US forces in Iraq are coming to terms with essential lessons in dealing
with insurgency: overwhelming firepower is often counterproductive;
comprehensive reconstruction and information efforts win hearts and
minds; the best sources of actionable intelligence are local
populations; and lastly, indigenous law enforcement facilitates smaller
US footprints, multiplying the effectiveness of all other efforts. These
same lessons must also guide how we fight our worldwide struggle against
Islamist extremism.

Counterinsurgency concepts must form the core of our government's
national security strategy. Counterinsurgency doctrine teaches that such
an approach be based on five equally vital pillars: targeted military
force, intelligence, law enforcement, information operations, and civil
affairs.

Taken together, these pillars constitute a global counterinsurgency --
an innovative and cohesive paradigm with which to guide America's
national security policy. As General John Abizaid told Congress last
September, defeating the insurgency ''requires not only military
pressure . . . [but] all elements of international and national power."
Counterinsurgency doctrine tells us that the military is only one of the
five pillars, and if we are to win, it cannot dominate the other four.

We were compelled and justified in militarily toppling the Taliban. But
defeating future enemies will more likely demand targeted military force
such as that being executed against Al Qaeda in Afghanistan and Africa
than traditional blunt instruments typical of the Cold War. Those who
prioritize national missile defense over either special-operations
capabilities or non-military tools of foreign policy understand neither
the nature of our greatest threat nor how to defeat it. Our intelligence
capabilities -- collection and analysis of information -- must be
expanded and diversified. We must trace technology on weapons of mass
destruction as well as materials proliferation before they spread. We
must strengthen social intelligence that will provide essential
understanding of the demographic and cultural geography within which our
enemy hides. We must reinvigorate our human intelligence networks so
that we can penetrate their networks.

Some have downplayed the role of police work in defeating Al Qaeda. As
9/11 Commission chairman Thomas Kean has observed, this complacency
perpetuates the disjointed and dysfunctional nature of our law
enforcement agencies, both within government and vis-a-vis international
law enforcement bodies. This must change, because effective police
operations are essential to suffocating the global insurgency.

Our information operations efforts -- instrumental in winning over the
undecideds among whom the enemy hides and recruits -- is woefully
inadequate. We must promote America's charity, while exposing the
enemy's hypocrisy. Civil affairs, ''development" in non-military terms,
is aggressive economic and political development as well as cultivation
of civil society institutions and human rights. Only when populations in
the developing world obtain genuine economic opportunity, social
dignity, and political empowerment will they no longer incubate the
global insurgency.

None of these pillars precludes other crucial components of our security
policy: ending foreign oil dependency, reining in Iranian nuclear
weapons development, and containing North Korea. Neither do they rule
out wariness of rival great powers. We must rebuild the alliances that
we need, yet have rubbed raw in the past six years, and we must close
off geopolitical fissures that Russia and China will seek to exploit.
However, the primary threat we face is the global insurgency, and
defeating it will require a global counterinsurgency as the foundation
of our national security and foreign policy doctrine.

Jonathan Morgenstein, a principal of the Truman National Security
Project, is a program officer at the United States Institute of Peace.
Eric Vickland is a lecturer for the Joint Special Operations University.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2006/03/28/strategies_for_a_global_counterinsurgency/