[Mb-civic] WOW...Shatner's Latest Enterprise - Frank Ahrens - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sun Mar 26 07:00:22 PST 2006

Shatner's Latest Enterprise
<>
By Frank Ahrens
The Washington Post
Sunday, March 26, 2006; F06

Ah, William Shatner. How effortlessly he moves from show to show, era to
era, platform to platform.

For those of you who missed him as Capt. James T. Kirk of the Starship
Enterprise in "Star Trek" in the 1960s, there was "The Barbary Coast" in
the 1970s. Or maybe you bought his 1968 album, which featured a
spoken-word version of "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds."

No? Maybe you saw him as hood-hurdling police officer T.J. Hooker in the
1980s, or on "Rescue 911." Missed those? Maybe you read his "Tek War"
novels. You probably saw him sing in Priceline.com television ads in the
1990s, or in the film "Miss Congeniality" or in any number of
self-spoofing roles that continue today.

Heck, he's even created a new character -- mad-cow-afflicted, gun-toting
lawyer Denny Crane on ABC's "Boston Legal" -- that may, may enter the
Shatnerian pantheon alongside Capt. Kirk.

Now, like a virus that hops to successive hosts as they are introduced
into a system, Shatner is mastering e-commerce: He's started his own
online club to sell DVDs to sci-fi fans. ( http://www.shatnerdvdclub.com/ )

For a one-time annual fee, the site says, of $47.99 ("Dammit, Jim! I'm a
doctor, not a bank!"), customers gain entry to the club, which will give
them access to a "selection of rare and compelling Sci-Fi, Fantasy &
Horror films, personally selected by William Shatner."

Okay. First off, there's no such thing as a "one-time annual fee." It's
one or the other. The site promises that sci-fi buffs will "own the
underground hits no one else has!" but fails to actually, um, list most
of the titles that Bill will send you, once a month, for $4 per DVD.

"Only members can enjoy expert selections from the William Shatner DVD
Club," the site reads. "We never publish a list of our constantly
evolving collection." It grudgingly lists three examples: "Ginger
Snaps," "Immortal" and "Dragon Storm," a made-for-the-Sci-Fi-Channel
film. All three have received fine marks from the critics.

I mean, as much as anybody, I implicitly trust Bill Shatner and his
judgment in all matters. This is the man, after all, who pioneered an .
. . entirenewwayof . . . deliveringDIALOGUEthat . . . no one had seen .
. . BEFORE! Or SINCE!

But I'm not sure I'm ready to plunk down nearly $50 on the idea, even
though, as the site reads, "The iconic Captain Kirk has watched
literally thousands of Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy films and has
selected his personal favorites for you."

Wait a minute: Who's watching these movies, Shatner or Kirk? ("Dammit,
Jim! I'm a doctor, not a Jungian psychoanalyst!")

I might be even more wary of the upfront fee if I checked out, oh, say,
Netflix, and found out that for $9.99 per month I could rent -- one at a
time, viewing and then returning one DVD and then getting another -- as
many DVDs as I could watch in that month. With Netflix, there is no
upfront fee, the DVDs are mailed to my house and returned in prepaid
mailers, I could hold onto each DVD as long as I want, and I get to
choose from a list of 55,000 DVDs that are in plain sight. (
http://www.netflix.com/ )

I understand that's not the same as Shatner and his "team of expert film
critics" (now, there's a job) picking out movies for me, but it might
have to do.

Tell you what, though. I might be willing to pay $47.99 and $4 per DVD
to join a William Shatner DVD Club that sent me only movies starring
William Shatner.

Oh, sure. It'd be fun to watch him acting mano-a-maniac with Ricardo
Montalban in "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan." That's a holiday
favorite in the Web Watch household and should be in yours.

But where else would you get the chance to own 1961's "Judgment at
Nuremberg," a fine retelling of a Nazi war-crimes trial, in which a
young Shatner acts opposite Werner Klemperer ("Hogan!")? Or, best of
all, "Incubus," the 1965 art-horror classic starring Shatner filmed
entirely in Esperanto?

Web Watch had the great pleasure and privilege of hanging with Shatner
in Spring 2001, when he hosted the Miss USA pageant in Gary, Ind., as
unlikely a combination as you'll find anywhere. The man's energy and
keen eye for new enterprise was amazing.

I am certain that he would find nothing more personally edifying than
selling a library of DVDs starring himself.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/25/AR2006032500095.html?nav=hcmodule