[Mb-civic] Preserving enthusiasm for science - Derrick Z. Jackson - Boston Globe Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Mar 25 05:23:38 PST 2006

  Preserving enthusiasm for science

By Derrick Z. Jackson  |  March 25, 2006  |  The Boston Globe

I HAD the pleasure this week of serving on a board of review that
approved 17-year-old Travis LeSaffre of Melrose as an Eagle Scout in the
Boston Minuteman Council. For his Eagle leadership project, he and his
Troop 635 searched last spring for vernal pools for Melrose's
conservation commission. In the Northeast, vernal pools are small bodies
of water that collect water during the moist fall and winter, burst to
life in the spring, then dry out during the summer.

''A vernal pool is very important because the obligate species which
live in them, primarily for breeding, return generation after generation
to the same pool, traveling as much as a mile or as little as a hundred
feet," LeSaffre wrote in his project workbook. ''If the pool is
destroyed, by either being filled in or paved over or built on top of,
the obligate species will not move to another marshland. All life --
frogs, salamanders, fairy shrimp, caddis flies -- which breed, live, or
depend on the pool will die and lose their link to the food chain. Once
these sites are found, documented, and protected, the species that rely
on them will be safe."

Obligate species? Join the crowd if you suddenly feel as dumb as we did
on the board. Once we lifted our jaws back up from the floor, we
blubbered over this young man. Yesterday, I mentioned LeSaffre's project
to MIT President Susan Hockfield. Her response was, ''It brings tears to
my eyes."

The curiosity of LeSaffre is precisely what concerns Hockfield these
days. President Bush is of late touting a new initiative for K-12 math
and science. But scientists are distraught over Bush's profound
disregard for science on global warming and a host of other
environmental protection issues and deep proposed cuts in research and
student loans.

Citing NASA cuts, Richard Anthes, president of the University
Corporation for Atmospheric Research and co-chair of a National Academy
of Sciences committee on earth observation from space, said our system
of environmental satellites ''is at risk of collapse." Joan Vernikos,
former director of NASA's life sciences division, said this month that
NASA research cuts are a ''terrible blow for US science. Right now, the
US has leadership in space life science. It is not going to have that
leadership."

Nobel laureate and Princeton physics professor Joseph Taylor this month
said on Capitol Hill that budget cuts will drive future astronomers to
other fields or out of science altogether and ''other bright people will
decide not to enter." Last week, Granger Morgan, the chairman of the
Environmental Protection Agency's science advisory board, said on the
hill, ''We all want environmental decision-making to be based on sound
science. However, our nation is not investing adequately in producing
that sound science."

Mentioning slated cuts for a doctoral fellowship program, Morgan asked,
''Where will the next generation of US environmental scientists come from?"

Hockfield, presiding over the world's beacon for science research, is
equally concerned. She said that the atmosphere where undergraduates and
graduate students see their professors ''tearing their hair out for
funding" is ''dispiriting at best and inhibiting of their careers and
dreams at worst." She said that in the current absence of a White House
that champions sound science that America is in the midst of a crisis
with ''a public that cannot discriminate good science from bad science."

LeSaffre and Troop 635 were frustrated early in their search, finding no
vernal pools in their first attempts. Then, acting on tips from hikers
and neighbors and searching for telltale frogs and salamanders near
ponds, in woods, and on a golf course, they eventually found four
suspected sites. LeSaffre said that the hardest part was getting his
fellow Scouts to take the search seriously. They did not think it would
be fun. Once they started seeing the critters, the excitement began to
build.

Hockfield wonders how long we can keep that excitement if we keep
cutting the funding for science. She said the national drive for
scientific learning she felt as a girl growing up in the shadow of
Sputnik now resides in places like China. She said that she felt a
hunger for learning and a physical energy in the streets ''that you
don't feel here." That is why she said she had a tear in her eye over
LeSaffre. A teenager who obligates himself to finding obligate species
is a teen bursting with the energy to fuel tomorrow's science.

''It is marvelous to see that kind of passion," Hockfield said. ''We
have to fertilize those passions."

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2006/03/25/preserving_enthusiasm_for_science/