[Mb-civic] Analyzing a Downfall - Eugene Robinson - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Mar 24 04:00:47 PST 2006

Analyzing a Downfall
Claude Allen Had the Ear of the President. Now He's Accused of Theft.
What Happened?

By Eugene Robinson
The Washington Post
Friday, March 24, 2006; A19

I have to admit that when Claude Allen was arrested a couple of weeks
ago for allegedly stealing merchandise from discount stores, my first
reaction was pure schadenfreude. Until his resignation last month for
the standard Washington non-reason -- to spend more time with his family
-- Allen had been the highest-ranking African American on the White
House staff, the president's top domestic policy adviser. I think it was
"Saturday Night Live" that first came out with the obvious joke: Who
knew that George W. Bush had a domestic policy adviser?

Would it be fair to cheer Allen's downfall just because he held a highly
visible post in an administration that is reviled by most African
Americans? No, but there's more: He made his name in black conservative
circles by serving as a top aide to Jesse Helms, the old buzzard from
North Carolina. I can't say anything else about Helms that's suitable
for a family newspaper, so I'll just quote my colleague David S. Broder,
who once called him "the last prominent unabashed white racist
politician in this country."

Helms, you will recall, railed against a federal holiday for the Rev.
Martin Luther King Jr. at a time when even old Strom Thurmond had gone
over to the other side. Allen later said that was a "difficult" period
in his association with Helms, but apparently not too difficult.

As if that weren't enough, during a bitter 1984 campaign Allen was
caught spreading smarmy innuendo about Helms's opponent, Gov. James Hunt
Jr., whispering to a reporter that Hunt was vulnerable because of links
"with the queers."

So, yes, when Allen was arrested on felony theft charges, my first
reaction was smug satisfaction. But then I told myself: Don't hate. The
proper reaction is pity, on every level.

Police allege that on several occasions, Allen did the following: He
went into a Target store near his home in the Maryland suburbs and
bought some merchandise, then went to another Target, loaded a Target
shopping bag with identical items and used the receipt from the first
store to "return" the items for a refund -- in effect, getting a bunch
of stuff for nothing.

The most expensive item Allen is alleged to have stolen is a $525 Bose
home theater system; mostly, he's charged with taking cheap items such
as a $60 jacket and a $25 pair of pants. Police say they have documented
25 instances of theft, and while the total value of the merchandise adds
up to more than $5,000 -- and makes the alleged thefts a felony -- we're
still talking small potatoes.

If what the police say is true, this graduate of Duke University Law
School wasn't much of a criminal mastermind. Hadn't he ever heard of
inventory control, or wondered what those ubiquitous bar codes are for?
And why would a man who met several times a week with the president of
the United States, and who earned $161,000 a year, risk everything to
steal an $88 radio?

It sounds like a cry for help, and I have no idea what went so wrong in
Allen's life. But I can imagine some of the strains and contradictions
he had to live with.

I have respect for principled black conservatives -- I think they're
wrong about many things, but I respect their right to be wrong. It's a
fact of life, though, that they are isolated from the larger African
American community by their political views. At times it must be very
lonely.

And since black conservatives with credentials like Claude Allen's are
relatively rare, they are in great demand and tend to rise fast. They
have to balance their genuine political beliefs against the fact that
the Jesse Helmses of the world love to have them around as window
dressing so they can say, "Look, I'm not racist; here's this black
person on my staff."

You could rationalize working for someone like Helms by telling yourself
that you could do more good for the African American community from the
inside, next to the seat of power, than from the outside. You could tell
yourself you were advancing the interests of black people, even if most
black people disagreed. You could ignore racism or pretend it was
something else. You could tell yourself that you were making compromises
and sacrifices for the greater good.

Finally, you could arrive at the White House, with a big job and regular
access to the president. But it might be a White House where all the big
decisions were made by just a few people, and you weren't one of them.

Then what?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/23/AR2006032301166.html?nav=hcmodule