[Mb-civic] GREAT PIECE: Bush follows Johnson's logic - The Boston Globe

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Wed Mar 22 03:58:00 PST 2006

  Bush follows Johnson's logic

By Derrick Z. Jackson  |  March 22, 2006  |  The Boston Globe

WITH DISAPPROVAL ratings for his handling of Iraq now at 65 percent in
the latest Newsweek poll, President Bush reached down into President
Johnson's magic hat for an illusion. In a speech in Cleveland, Bush
talked about the voters of Tal Afar.

''The recent elections show us how Iraqis respond when they know they
are safe," Bush said. ''Tal Afar is the largest city in Western Nineveh
Province. In the elections held in January 2005, of about 190,000
registered voters, only 32,000 people went to the polls. Only Fallujah
had a lower participation rate.

''By the time of the October referendum on the constitution and the
December elections, Iraqi and coalition forces had secured Tal Afar from
surrounding areas. The number of registered voters rose to about 204,000
and more than 175,000 turned out to vote in each election, more than 85
percent of the eligible voters in Western Nineveh Province. These
citizens turned out because they were determined to have a say in their
nation's future and they cast their ballots at polling stations that
were guarded and secured by fellow Iraqis."

This was reminiscent of a news conference President Johnson held in
November of 1967, when the percentage of Americans who thought Vietnam
was a mistake was closing in on 50 percent in the Gallup poll.

''In the midst of all the horrors of war, in guerrilla fighting in South
Vietnam, we have had five elections in a period of a little over 14
months," Johnson said. ''. . . To think that here in the midst of war
when the grenades are popping like firecrackers all around you, that
two-thirds or three-fourths of the people would register and vote and
have five elections in 13 months -- and through the democratic process
select people at the local level, a constituent assembly, a house of
representatives, a senate, a president, and a vice president -- that is
encouraging. The fact that the population under free control has
constantly risen, and that under Communist control has constantly gone
down, is a very encouraging sign."

Four months later, a discouraged Johnson, his illusions shattered by the
Tet Offensive, would announce that he would not run for reelection. In
Bush's case, the trick was picking one city that seems stable, despite
our probable inability to stabilize the entire nation on our own. Rand
military analysts determined that it would take 500,000 troops -- our
peak Vietnam-era troop strength -- to achieve successful nation-building
in Iraq. We currently have about 133,000 troops there.

''According to the lessons learned," the Rand study said, ''the ultimate
consequences for Iraq of a failure to generate adequate international
manpower and money are likely to be lower levels of security, higher
casualties sustained and inflicted, lower economic growth rates, and
slower, less thoroughgoing political transformation."

Bush did acknowledge that the progress in the rest of Iraq is not the
same as in Tal Afar. But he went on to claim that the city's example
''gives me confidence in our strategy, because in this city, we see the
outlines of the Iraq that we and the Iraqi people have been fighting for."

With 133,000 troops only being an outline of what security analysts feel
is needed, Bush's illusion of the minimalist explodes with every car
bomb. This is the White House that famously dissed the estimate of
then-Army chief of staff Eric Shinseki that ''several hundred thousand
soldiers" would be needed in postwar Iraq. Paul Wolfowitz, then the
deputy defense secretary, said Shinseki was ''wildly off the mark."

This was the same Wolfowitz who said in the same testimony on Capitol
Hill that success would come with minimal force in Iraq because,
''There's been none of the record in Iraq of ethnic militias fighting
one another that produced so much bloodshed and permanent scars in
Bosnia, along with a continuing requirement for large peacekeeping
forces to separate those militias."

We know who was wildly off the mark now, with Iraq's former interim
prime minister, Ayad Allawi, telling the BBC this weekend, ''If this is
not civil war, then God knows what civil war is." This earned Allawi a
personal dissing by Bush. In September of 2004, Bush praised Allawi for
his courage and leadership. In a news conference yesterday, Bush
answered a question about Allawi's statement to the BBC by saying,
''There are other voices coming out of Iraq, by the way, other than Mr.
Allawi."

It is all a sign that Bush, like Johnson, is hearing voices.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2006/03/22/bush_follows_johnsons_logic/