[Mb-civic] A Punchy President Meets the Press - Dana Milbank - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Wed Mar 22 03:49:34 PST 2006

A Punchy President Meets the Press
<>
By Dana Milbank
The Washington Post
Wednesday, March 22, 2006; A02

President Bush had a senior moment midway through his news conference
yesterday. Referring to an earlier question from the Los Angeles Times'
Jim Gerstenzang, who has covered much of Bush's presidency, Bush looked
at the veteran correspondent -- and forgot his name.

"Back, to, uh, this man's question right here," he said, and then he
looked down at his seating chart for a refresher before adding: "This
man being Jim."

"Sorry, Jim," the president said after everybody had a chuckle at his
expense. "I got a lot on my mind these days."

That he does. Bush's presidency is in trouble, his approval ratings are
in the 30s, Iraq is approaching civil war, and congressional Republicans
are in open rebellion. But Bush has maintained his equanimity. He may be
a lame duck, but he seems to be enjoying his swim.

He identified Terry Hunt, the Associated Press's veteran White House
correspondent, as the generic "AP Person." He accused New York Times
correspondent Elisabeth Bumiller of sleeping through his speech Monday
in Cleveland. After USA Today's David Jackson interrupted a Bush
non-answer, the president queried: "Now, what is your follow-up yell?"

And he made a show of reading from his stage directions. Rambling his
way through a question about interest rates, Bush paused to confess,
"I'm kind of stalling for time here." Checking his seating chart before
calling on a questioner, he confided, "They've told me what to say."
After announcing that "there's going to be a P-5," the president
translated his own jargon: "That's diplomatic sloganeering."

Whether it's the strain of the office, the weight of international
crises, or simply his old Delta Kappa Epsilon roots showing, Bush has
been President Punchy of late. In Cleveland on Monday, he said there
were 16 U.N. Security Council resolutions about Iraq, then called on an
unsuspecting Dick Keil, a Bloomberg News reporter. "I think 16 -- is
that right, Stretch, 16?" Bush inquired, using the nickname he assigned
Keil. "I like to, like, reverse roles sometimes," the president explained.

When an audience member prefaced a question by saying, "I'm 100 percent
behind your fight against terrorism," Bush interrupted: "Why don't you
just leave it at that." And he was suspicious of a man who introduced
himself as Jose Feliciano, by chance the name of the blind singer and
guitarist.

"No," the president challenged.

"Yes," the other Feliciano maintained.

"It's like the time I called a guy and said, 'Hey, this is George Bush
calling.' He said, 'Come on, quit kidding me, man.' " For yesterday's
session, called with 90 minutes' notice, Bush had a surprise: He ended
his long boycott of questions from Helen Thomas, the venerable UPI
correspondent-turned-anti-Bush columnist for Hearst Newspapers. He began
by invoking her performance at a Gridiron Club dinner in which she
played Hillary Clinton singing about her presidential ambitions.

"Helen, after that brilliant performance at the Gridiron, I am --"

"You're going to be sorry," Thomas warned.

"Well, then, let me take it back."

It was too late. Thomas hectored him with a question about how "every
reason given" for the Iraq war was wrong, then repeatedly interrupted
his answers to argue.

"I kind of semi-regretted it," Bush said after the ordeal-by-Helen. He
reaffirmed that her musical performance was "just brilliant," then
offered that Reuters correspondent Steve Holland's performance in the
same show "was a little weak."

Bush's jests apparently did nothing to reduce the antagonism in the
questions, but the president did succeed at entertaining his tormentors,
and himself.

NBC's Kelly O'Donnell weighed in with a question about whether it's time
to make some changes on his staff, which appears "tired and even
tone-deaf." This prompted the networks to go to cutaway shots of Bush
aides Dan Bartlett, Karl Rove, Scott McClellan and Steve Hadley,
squeezed into small chairs along one wall, looking miserable. "Wait a
minute," Bush interrupted cheerfully, "is this a personal attack
launching over here?"

Asked about his lost "political capital" by Gerstenzang, Bush replied
that he had just listed a series of accomplishments, offering, "I'd be
glad to repeat them if you like." Bumiller waved her hand to indicate
such a recitation would be unnecessary. "Please," Bush responded, "no
hand gestures."

Bush took his revenge moments later, when, explaining his immigration
policy, he asserted that "Elisabeth was half asleep" for his speech on
Monday. When she protested, he insisted: "Well, the person next to you
was. They were dozing off. I could see them watching their watches, kind
of wondering how long he's going to blow on for. 'Let's get him out of
here so we can go get lunch' is what they were thinking."

Perhaps. Or perhaps Bush was projecting. Seconds later, when he had
finished his answer to the question, he added: "Listen, thank you for
your time. I've got lunch with the president of Liberia right now." It
was not yet 11 a.m.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/21/AR2006032101570.html?nav=hcmodule