[Mb-civic] Steps Toward Unity in Iraq - David Ignatius - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Thu Mar 16 07:03:46 PST 2006

Steps Toward Unity in Iraq

By David Ignatius
The Washington Post
Thursday, March 16, 2006; A23

BAGHDAD -- There has been so much bad news out of Iraq lately that you
have to pinch yourself when good things seem to be happening. But there
are unmistakable signs here this week that Iraq's political leaders are
taking the first tentative steps toward forming a broad government of
national unity that could reverse the country's downward slide.

What has brought Iraq's political factions together is the crisis that
followed the Feb. 22 bombing of the Samarra mosque, which raised the
danger that Iraq might tumble into a full-scale civil war. The country's
political leaders seemed to realize, as they stood at the brink, that
they would either come together or Iraq would fall apart. So far they
seem to be choosing unity -- or at least serious talks about unity.

The venue has been a series of meetings this week that have included all
of the country's major political factions. This conclave was proposed a
week ago by U.S. Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad. His idea was that the
political leaders should all gather, in rural Iraq or perhaps at a
Baghdad hotel, and keep meeting until they hammered out a new government.

The factional leaders promptly endorsed these "make or break"
negotiations, though they decided to meet on each other's turf. The
first meeting of about two dozen political leaders and aides took place
Sunday at the Baghdad headquarters of Kurdish leader Massoud Barzani,
followed by a session Tuesday at the headquarters of Shiite leader Abdul
Aziz al-Hakim and a gathering Wednesday at the house of Iraqi President
Jalal Talabani. Khalilzad has attended all of the sessions and has
played a role like that of a mediator in a labor dispute.

Khalilzad told me in an interview in his office after Wednesday's
session that the talks had produced tentative agreement on two basic
points: First, the parties endorsed the idea of a unity government that
would include all the major factions. Second, they agreed that this
government should have a top-level "national security commission" that
would include representatives of all the major political parties.
Operating by consensus, this body would frame the broad outlines of
policy, subject to the Iraqi constitution.

This week's dialogue broke the deadlock over the composition of the
coalition. A month ago, radical Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr was
refusing to endorse any government that included the party of Ayad
Allawi, a close ally of the United States who, as interim prime
minister, had ordered a military strike against Sadr and his Mahdi Army
militia. Khalilzad said Wednesday that the logjam was broken "because
people realized that if one side has red lines, all sides will have red
lines." He said of this week's gatherings: "These are the best meetings
of Iraqis I've seen since I've been here."

The U.S. ambassador's upbeat account is believable because it is echoed
by Iraqi political leaders. Adel Abdul Mahdi, Iraq's vice president and
a representative of Hakim and his powerful Shiite party known as the
Supreme Council for the Islamic Revolution in Iraq, told me Wednesday:
"We have a common understanding on major issues -- on the need for
consensus and on a national security commission. What makes me confident
is that I think we are building up a sense of understanding among
different communities." He said the message of the new government must
be: "No one is outside of the law, whether the Badr Organization [the
Supreme Council's militia], the Mahdi Army or the insurgency."

One seeming obstacle to unity has been fear about the role of Iran. To
finesse that issue, Hakim said he is urging Iran to talk with the United
States about Iraq's political future. Khalilzad himself has been quietly
exploring what he calls the "modalities" for such U.S.-Iran talks on Iraq.

One hint of the new spirit of accord (and also of the political
jockeying taking place) emerged when I visited Ahmed Chalabi, a Shiite
politician who has allied himself over the past year with Sadr and with
Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jafari. With Chalabi Wednesday was Sheik
Khalaf Elayan, one of the leaders of the biggest Sunni party. Chalabi
seems to be seeking Sunni political allies, believing that they will be
a crucial part of the next government. He also believes that Sunni
tribal leaders such as Khalaf are working to stop the al-Qaeda leader
Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

The Iraqi political dialogue will move into a new and potentially
fractious stage soon, when the leaders begin bargaining over who will
hold top positions in the new government. Those negotiations could blow
apart the fragile hopes for a unity government. But, for a change,
pessimism isn't necessarily the right bet for Iraq.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/15/AR2006031502180.html?nav=hcmodule