[Mb-civic] IMPORTANT: 'Critically' Inadequate - Anne Applebaum - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Wed Mar 15 03:05:56 PST 2006

'Critically' Inadequate
<>
By Anne Applebaum
The Washington Post
Wednesday, March 15, 2006; A19

"I'd like to see us move toward really focusing on critical
infrastructure that is controlled, owned or operated by any foreign
government."

-- Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.)

"It's important that the secretary of defense, in consultation with
Homeland Security, identifies what is critical infrastructure. . . . And
having identified that, that that infrastructure be owned, operated and
managed by Americans."

-- Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.)

At last we have a genuine bipartisan consensus. A Congress whose members
cannot work together to prevent the coming Social Security crisis, to
keep the nation out of debt or to fix the health care system has finally
agreed on something: Foreigners shouldn't be allowed to own or manage
our critical infrastructure. Amazingly, this consensus has even outlived
the Dubai ports deal that created it. This week Duncan Hunter, chairman
of the House Armed Services Committee, said he's still looking to pass a
bill forbidding foreign-owned companies from possessing or operating any
"asset that is included on the national defense critical infrastructure
list." Hillary Clinton says she still wants to pass a narrower bill that
would prevent state-owned foreign companies from "managing, controlling
or owning U.S. port operations."

Unfortunately, the consensus on critical infrastructure isn't
accompanied by a willingness to define what, exactly, "critical
infrastructure" might be. A spokesman for Hunter told me that "critical
infrastructure" meant anything whose destruction "would have a
debilitating effect on national security, economic security or public
health and safety." A spokesman for Clinton said the senator's
legislation concerns only ports, but added that she still thinks that
"in the post-9/11 world, we need fresh thinking on how to protect our
critical infrastructure."

Since this pretty much leaves the field open for anyone to make up his
or her own definition, I'm going to avail myself of the opportunity.
After all, at last count, foreign direct investment in the United States
amounted to $486 billion. That means there are many thousands of
foreign-owned properties whose destruction might have a debilitating
effect on "national security, economic security and public health" and
whose protection may require "fresh thinking." Here are a few:

· The sanitation system of Laredo, Tex. Along with plants in more than a
dozen other U.S. cities, the wastewater treatment plant in this critical
border city is managed by Suez, a French firm. Suez -- which also owns a
liquefied natural gas "port operation" in Massachusetts and makes
regular gas deliveries at ports in Maryland and Louisiana -- is
negotiating a merger with a state-owned company, Gaz de France. Thus
will the government of France -- one of whose citizens, Zacarias
Moussaoui, is on trial for terrorism in a U.S. court -- be in a position
to poison Texans' water, interfere with border control and blow up gas
terminals, too.

· The highways of Indiana. With great fanfare, the Indiana authorities
earlier this year announced that a Spanish company and an Australian
firm would jointly manage the state's main toll road. The two firms will
also complete the unfinished "Hoosier highway" -- presumably giving them
access to all kinds of information about bridge and tunnel
vulnerabilities. Spain, like Dubai, is a country that harbored
terrorists, in advance of the Madrid bombings.

· The refineries of Toledo, Texas City, Tex., and Carson, Calif., among
others. All are owned by British Petroleum, a British company based in
London. But even if all were sold to U.S. companies, BP would still own
some $41 billion worth of fixed assets in the United States and would
still be the largest marketer of natural gas liquids in North America
and one of the largest distributors of gasoline as well. Britain, also
like Dubai, has harbored terrorists: the London bombers, the shoe
bomber, the IRA.

· The pilots, tugs and dockworkers of New York, New Jersey and San
Francisco, along with a dozen other U.S. ports. They all work for a
company, Inchcape Shipping Services, that has a contract with the U.S.
Navy. The company used to be British and was sold for $285 million in
January to -- the royal family of Dubai. Need I say more?

As I say, those are just random examples. Foreign investors also own and
operate power plants, chemical plants and railroad tracks, and more
refineries and natural gas facilities than I've got space to mention.
The process of confiscating, nationalizing or otherwise forcing the sale
of "critical infrastructure," or even "port operations," broadly
defined, could go on for years, would cost billions and would certainly
destroy this country's reputation as a safe place in which to invest.

Instead of doing so, it might make more sense to institute a secure
system of identity and background checks for all port or refinery
employees, especially since it's not necessarily more difficult to
penetrate a U.S. company than a French or Arab one. It might also make
sense to sit down and define "critical infrastructure" and to set
priorities and think harder about which objects, American or
foreign-owned, pose genuine dangers. But that would be complicated,
expensive and time-consuming. It could only succeed with the support of
a bipartisan Congress, one willing to devote the time and money to
genuine security, and one whose leaders were willing to explain to the
American public that in the globalized economy -- a system whose rules
we essentially wrote -- it's no longer possible to pick and choose whose
investments we want. That sort of bipartisanship, alas, is still very
far away.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/14/AR2006031401106.html?nav=hcmodule