[Mb-civic] statement by ACLU director

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 12 19:39:03 PST 2006

Something is wrong in our country. The president is overreaching his
authority with a vast program of illegal spying on Americans, and
Congress, which is supposed to check executive power, is preparing to
ratify his illegal surveillance program after the fact.
In a backroom deal announced this week, key Senate
Republicans met with Vice President Dick Cheney and agreed
to create legislation that would rewrite our laws by requiring
less disclosure and less judicial power to check wiretaps than
current law demands.
The message these partisans are sending to the people and
thecountry is clear: partisans are willing to put party loyalty
over fundamental and timeless values, such as the
preservation of the Constitution and the rightful power of
Congress as a check on the president. Many Americans are
appalled that our President has not only ordered warrantless
spying on Americans, but has unapologetically claimed that
he has the power to break the law.
The question for us now is: What message will we the people
send Congress?
The ACLU is asking you to join with us in declaring
unequivocally that warrantless spying on innocent Americans
is unacceptable.
It’s at moments like these that our system of checks and
balances matters most. When the president asserts absolute
power and the legislative branch abdicates its responsibilities,
we must turn to the courts: the third pillar of our democracy.
Yesterday, the ACLU asked the judge in our NSA lawsuit to
immediately block the illegal NSA spying program in order to
prevent “concrete harm”to our plaintiffs— journalists, non-
profit groups and other advocates — and to the American
way of life. The ACLU v. NSA lawsuit aggressively challenges
the Bush Administration’s abuse of power, charging that the
spying violates all Americans' rights to free speech and
privacy under the First and Fourth Amendments of the
Constitution.
White House allies in Congress may be willing to help cover
up this illegal program, and other lawmakers may be willing
to stand on the sidelines, but when the president breaks the
law, neither Congress nor the courts should give him a get-
out-of-jail free card.
I urge you to stay involved as we work to end illegal
government spying and restore the rule of law. The debate in
Congress is far from over, and our legal challenge to the NSA
has only just begun. We must stay vigilant if we want to
preserve a democracy where the people are both safe and
free.
Sincerely,

Anthony D. Romero
Executive Director

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

"A war of aggression is the supreme international crime." -- Robert Jackson,
 former U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice and Nuremberg prosecutor