[Mb-civic] Twilight's Last Gleaming By John Cory

Michael Butler michael at michaelbutler.com
Sun Mar 5 17:34:50 PST 2006

    Twilight's Last Gleaming
    By John Cory
    t r u t h o u t | Perspective

    Sunday 05 March 2006

    Who are these people? These people who line their pockets with the lives
of our loved ones? These gray men who lurk in shadows and kill the sunshine
of democracy? These people who wear morality like a cheap suit pilfered from
the collection plate of decency? Who are these people who have turned
America into their own personal ATM machine? These are the people of the lie
- Republicans.

    Who are these people? These people who sit in spineless silence unable
to speak in defense of America? These people who mime the words of our
founders, afraid to act with independence? Who utter the words "We concede,"
instead of "We the People?" These are the people who lie down - Democrats.

    Newspapers no longer serve the public, only their corporate masters.
They have wedged themselves firmly between the cheeks of power, a tissue to
sanitize the bullshit. The media has finally achieved the ultimate
self-delusion; broadcasting sitcom politics, and talking points of the
throne, it has become the court jester with tinkling bells and curly pointed
shoes: useless, untrustworthy, and fused in falsehoods and facades.

    This is twilight's last gleaming. Attention must be paid. Democracy is
dying.

    Bush and Company wants us to be afraid. Republicans sell us fear as they
sell out America.

    Democrats wait in the wings, picking up their pieces of silver to keep
mum. Both political parties capitalize on all the fear.

    Democrats think we will become so fearful of Republicans that we will
have no other choice but to elect them. That is their incentive. Low
profile, quiet acquiescence, and they think their silence will be rewarded.

    This is not the time for silence. According to recent polls from Zogby,
Fox News, Gallup and CNN, 72% of our troops believe the war in Iraq is a
failure and we should withdraw. 64% of the public disapproves of Bush's
handling of Iraq. 69% of Americans are against the Dubai Port deal. 52% do
not find Bush "honest and trustworthy."

    And yet Democrats can find no voice, no fight, no issue to unify them to
protect "we the people." Major print and media outlets can find no reason to
investigate Republican scandals, bribery and lies, no reason to question an
administration that started a war with a lie and failed its own citizens
when Katrina hit, by lying about what they did or did not know. Katrina,
like 9/11, left the boy king wide-eyed and unprepared. Leader of the free
world? Most Americans think not.

    When it comes time for voting, here is what I will remember: the
silence.

    If there is a voice for America, let them speak now. Let them speak for
the poor women who not only will find abortion illegal, but will not be
allowed birth control and contraceptives. Let them speak for the old and
infirm who will not be able to have healthcare and cost-effective drug
prescriptions. Let them speak for true family values of providing for our
veterans and protecting our troops with proper body armor and ending a false
war so no more loved ones have to die for a lie.

    But most of all, let them now speak up for the one precious gift that is
America - Freedom. Freedom of speech - Freedom to dissent - Freedom from
illegal domestic spying. Freedom, sweet freedom for which our fathers,
brothers, and sisters have fought and died for over the past 230 years!

    Hunter S. Thompson warned, "Big dark coming soon." Big dark is here.

    Our Constitution hangs by a thread. Make no mistake, this is twilight's
last gleaming. It's time to defend America, not sell it down the river of
corporate greed. It is time to stand up, not slink away to fight another
day, because there are no more days. The monarchs of mendacity under George
Bush are dismantling democracy at every opportunity.

    Democrats, you want my vote? Earn it! Get up off your ass and take a
stand! Take back America. Stop whimpering. Throw out your Republican-lite
Bush lickspittles and suit up for battle. We the people will support you if
you speak up for the America we live in and want to preserve. You cannot
claim victory simply because you kept the GOP from burying the Constitution
while you let them drive it underground.

    This is twilight's last gleaming. Who will speak up for America?