[Mb-civic] Palden Gyatso on Hunger Strike at Turin Olympics

Barbara Siomos barbarasiomos38 at msn.com
Sat Mar 4 23:08:16 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Lhadon Tethong
Sent: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 10:47:57 -0800
To: sft-region1 at lists.riseup.net, sft-region2 at lists.riseup.net, sft-region3 at lists.riseup.net, sft-region4 at lists.riseup.net, sft-region5 at lists.riseup.net, sft-region6 at lists.riseup.net, sft-region7 at lists.riseup.net, sft-region8 at lists.riseup.net
Subject: [sft-sector2] Palden Gyatso on Hunger Strike at Turin Olympics

Palden Gyatso on Hunger Strike at Turin Olympics

Palden Gyatso, one of Tibets longest-serving political prisoners, and two
young Tibetan men are on a hunger strike in a tent outside the Turin Olympic
Village in Italy, to call attention to Chinas oppression in Tibet. Earlier
today the hunger strikers were met by a delegation sent by the International
Olympic Committee who assured them they would raise the issue of human
rights in Tibet during the closing press conference on Sunday. This action,
organized by the Tibetan Youth Congress and Tibet Support Groups, has
received significant media and public attention in Italy but also needs
international support.

Palden Gyatso, who is in his mid-seventies, was a young monk when he was
first arrested and imprisoned for peaceful, pro-independence protests in
Lhasa. After 33 years of imprisonment, beatings, interrogation and solitary
confinement, the Chinese authorities released him in response to immense
pressure from other governments and Tibet supporters in the global
community. After escaping to exile, he traveled the world, spreading the
truth about Chinas occupation of Tibet and oppression of Tibetans. With his
raw honesty and clear memory, he has inspired compassion, courage and a
burning concern for Tibet in countless students and people in the West. Many
of us in the Tibet movement today can trace our involvement to the time when
we first heard Palden speak or read his story - "Autobiography of a Tibetan
Monk," also published as "Fire Under the Snow."

Send a message of support to Palden Gyatso, Sonam Wangdu and Tamding
Choephel and read more about the hunger strike here:
http://www.tibetanyouthcongress.org

Send an email to the IOC and Chinese government calling for change in Tibet:
http://2008-freetibet.org/

Read more about Palden's life: http://www.paldengyatso.com/

-- Lhadon Tethong
Executive Director
Students for a Free Tibet
602 East 14th Street, 2 Floor, New York, NY 10009 USA
Tel: (212) 358-0071 / Fax: (212) 358-1771

Learn more about SFT: http://www.studentsforafreetibet.org
Check out SFT's blog: http://tibetwillbefree.blogspot.com
Students for a Free Tibet (SFT) works in solidarity with the Tibetan people in their struggle for freedom and independence. We are a chapter-based network of young people and activists around the world. Through education, grassroots organizing, and non-violent direct action, we campaign for Tibetans fundamental right to political freedom. Our role is to empower and train youth as leaders in the worldwide movement for social justice.