[Mb-civic] FW: Exclusive Interview: Iran's Foreign Policy Chief Talks with TIME - Part II

Golsorkhi grgolsorkhi at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 2 06:58:05 PST 2006

------ Forwarded Message
From: Samii Shahla <shahla at thesamiis.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:03:58 -0500
Subject: Exclusive Interview: Iran's Foreign Policy Chief Talks with TIME -
Part II

Tuesday, February 28, 2006
Iran's Foreign Policy Chief Talks with TIME - Part II

February 28, 2006
Time Magazine
Scott Macleod, Web Exclusive

Ali Larijani, head of the Supreme National Security Council, Iran's highest
foreign policy body, says that despite the break in U.S.-Iran ties after the
1979 Islamic Revolution, Tehran would now consider direct negotiations with
the Bush administration on Iran's nuclear program and other issues. Iran's
hard-line stance on Israel and Iraq as well as Iran's nuclear rights,
however, raise doubts about whether the long-standing enemies could have a
meeting of minds.

TIME:What is Iran doing to prevent action by the U.N. Security Council?

Larijani: Certainly we are not going to take the first steps. This does not
mean that for that purpose [preventing Security Council action] we shall
abandon all our rights. But if there is a proposal that the rights of Iran
can be secured to some extent for the present time, and the other rights can
be secured through negotiations, we are open to that. In a letter that I
sent to the Europeans, I told the ministers that we are prepared to talk to
you to come up with a formula that prevents diversion from peaceful nuclear
technology [to nuclear weapons]. If there's a will, there is a way. It can
be solved even in the next few days. But if there's no will, even if you
come up with 10,000 proposals, it will not solve it.

TIME: Can Iran afford to pay the price of sanctions?

Larijani: We are not really seeking adventures in the region. We will make
our decisions with patience, not in haste. We have not taken this lightly.
We have devised different plans for different situations. We have prepared
for the worst-case scenario. They should not think for a moment that if they
impose sanctions, then we'll fall down to our knees. With sanctions, their
loss is no less than ours.

TIME: Are you referring to Iranian measures or a spike in oil prices as
well?

Larijani: Statesmen in Europe and the West know that such actions will not
bring good consequences for themselves. Many things may happen. Certainly
it's not going to be only defensive actions for us.

TIME: What is the worst-case scenario?

Larijani: The same things that Americans are saying: for example, telling
Israel to launch a military attack on some of our positions. There's a
general rule that he who shoots first, dies in the second phase. If they
take action, the response will not be a very pleasant one for them. We shall
definitely defend. Don't doubt that for a second. We shall not stand idly by
and watch Israelis attack our installations.

TIME: You would hit their planes, or you would attack Israel?

Larijani: We should not be revealing military strategies here.

TIME: Why not talk directly to the United States?

Larijani: We have no problems in negotiating on nuclear issues, and also
issues of interest to Muslims, things that will bring calm to the region,
provided that they are honest and that Mr. Bush does not harangue us. To us,
negotiations are not the end. If the aim is clear, then this means can be
used too. It's true that U.S. is a great power. Descartes, the great French
philosopher says, "I think, therefore I am." I believe America's slogan is,
"I make trouble, therefore I am."

TIME: The U.S. says the same thing about you.

Larijani: We really are an innocent country. Our Revolution is one by the
oppressed people. After the Revolution, Americans did whatever they could
against the Revolution, and provoked Saddam to attack us. [Former
President]Khatami started a dialogue among civilizations. In Afghanistan,
Iran was really cooperating to bring security. But President Bush then
called Iran part of the "axis of evil." Now they have allocated $75 million
for regime change in Iran.

TIME: But Iran refuses to recognize Israel. Instead, it supports Hamas and
other groups fighting Israel.

Larijani: Any country can recognize another country according to its own
logic. Second point: What do Hamas and Islamic Jihad want? You know it's
their land. As Muslims, our duty is not confined to within our own walls. If
Americans do not understand this Islamic logic, then problems will continue.

TIME: You want it both ways: Iran's President says "We want to wipe Israel
off the map." Then you want the West to trust you not to build a nuclear
bomb.

Larijani: These are two separate issues. We are not looking for a nuclear
bomb. We are looking for a peaceful nuclear program.

TIME: But the West doesn't trust you.

Larijani: You have differences of views with us. But having differences of
views doesn't mean animosity. I don't know why you are focusing on this
statement by President Ahmadinejad.

TIME: Is it usual that a president calls for another country to be wiped off
the map?

Larijani: He said that in a speech. He qualified it and explained that we
want a democratic solution for this problem. As the secretary of the Supreme
National Security Council of Iran, I say that this is the policy of Iran.

TIME: Do you call on Hamas to negotiate or not negotiate with Israel to
solve the problem peacefully?

Larijani: I don't think Hamas is seeking such a solution. We need not give
orders to Hamas. We are only telling them to be vigilant, not to be cheated
out of their rights.

TIME: Do you think Hamas can "liberate Palestine" now?

Larijani: Little by little. People gave their answers in the elections.
People in the region are awakening.
---

------ End of Forwarded Message