[Mb-civic] Iraq: A Solution to Nothing

Reeeees at aol.com Reeeees at aol.com
Wed Mar 1 18:20:10 PST 2006

Published  on Wednesday, March 1, 2006 by the _Seattle Times  _
(http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/)
Iraq: A Solution to Nothing
by Scott  Ritter
As the United States and Iraq approach the third  anniversary of the invasion
and occupation of Iraq, it might do all  Americans well to take some time out
and reflect on how we got where we  are, as well as where we are going in
Iraq and the Middle East as a whole.
Gone forever is any talk of song and flowers,  economic recoveries paid for
by Iraqi oil, or a blooming democracy in the  cradle of civilization. The state
of affairs between the Bush  administration and the newly elected government
of Prime Minister Ibrahim  Jafari is strained, to say the least, with the
United States threatening  to cut off aid to Iraq, and Iraq telling the United
States to "butt out."
Nearly three months have passed since the  "historic" elections of December
2005, and the Iraqis have just now  selected a prime minister (Jafari, a Shiite
Islamic fundamentalist closely  allied with Iran), and seemed hopelessly
deadlocked on the issue of  forming a government that will not promote an
immediate outbreak of  sectarian violence once formed.
The Sunni insurgency is stronger than ever, and  Shiite death squads roam the
street in the guise of government police and  soldiers. Torture, rape and
murder are rampant as official tools of  government suppression. And American
troops appear to be powerless to stop  this mindless slide into the abyss, all
the while being killed and maimed  for a cause that has always been nebulous.
"Duty," "honor" and "country" mean little when the  majority of the American
citizens supposedly being served by the ongoing  occupation of Iraq are more
interested in "American Idol" than the process  of bringing peace and stability
to ancient Babylon, or when American  politicians seem content to continue to
allow the men and women who honor  our nation through their service to die
while those in power grasp for a  politically face-saving way to "solve the
Iraqi problem." And herein lies  the problem: We continue to try to solve a
problem we have yet to define,  meaning we are seeking a solution to nothing.
America continues to pretend that we are building  something of value in
Iraq. And yet, common sense dictates that when one  seeks to build on a corrupt
foundation, whatever it is that is being  constructed is doomed eventually to
collapse. Our nation's involvement in  Iraq is based on as corrupt a foundation
as imaginable. We didn't go to  war for sound national-security reasons (i.e.,
a threat that manifested  itself in a form solvable only through military
intervention), but rather  for domestic political reasons based on ideology that
exploited the fear  and ignorance of the American people in the post-Sept. 11,
2001, world.
In the topsy-turvy world of domestic American  politics, this reality
continues to fail to resonate. Those who opposed  the invasion of Iraq continue to be
demonized and marginalized, while  those who supported it are embraced and
applauded.
This "through the looking glass" quality in the  American body politic not
only hamstrings the nation collectively on the  issue of solving the Iraq
problem, but also continues to distort reality  when dealing with other emerging
problems confronting our country and the  world, such as the looming crisis with
Iran over its nuclear programs.
Even as we fail to grasp the lessons of our  unraveling failure in Iraq, we
seem to be moving full steam ahead into a  similar catastrophe in Iran, making
the same mistakes by embracing a  threat model (nuclear weapons) void of any
hard evidence, and promoting a  solution (democracy) that is undefined.
If the upcoming leather anniversary of the U.S.-led  invasion of Iraq tells
us anything as a nation, it is that we are in  desperate need of a national
"time out" when it comes to the issue of  Iraq, Iran and the global war on
terror. We need to learn the lesson that  every soldier, sailor, airman and Marine
serving oversees knows only too  well — you don't reinforce failure.
If our politicians, Republican and Democrat alike,  are unable or unwilling
to engage in a rancor-free discussion about where  we as a nation are heading
when it comes to issues of war and peace, then  perhaps we the people should
engage in one of our own, and in the process  establish agreed-upon principles
and standards that not only would serve  as a solid foundation upon which to
build any future endeavors in the  Middle East and elsewhere, but also set
forward values and ideals that  could be used to hold to account those whom we
elect to represent us in  higher office.
Scott Ritter is a former U.N. weapons inspector  in Iraq (1991-1998) and
Marine Corps intelligence officer. He is the  author of "_Iraq Confidential: The
Untold Story of the  Intelligence Conspiracy to Undermine the U.N. and
Overthrow Saddam  Hussein_
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1560258527/commondreams-20/ref=nosim) ," published by Nation  Books.