[Mb-civic] Freedom of hate speech - Jeff Jacoby - Boston Globe Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Wed Mar 1 05:18:25 PST 2006

  Freedom of hate speech

By Jeff Jacoby  |  March 1, 2006  |  The Boston Globe

FUNNY PEOPLE, the Austrians. If you're Kurt Waldheim -- a former Nazi
military officer linked to a genocidal massacre during World War II --
they elect you president. But if you're David Irving -- a British author
who claimed that there never was a Nazi genocide during World War II --
they throw you in the slammer.

On second thought, not funny at all. Austria disgraced itself when it
elected Waldheim president in 1986, apparently unconcerned by the
revelation that he had served in a German military unit responsible for
mass murder in the Balkans and been listed after the war as a wanted
criminal by the UN War Crimes Commission. In a very different way it
disgraced itself again last week, when a Vienna court sentenced Irving,
a racist and an anti-Semite, to three years in prison for denying that
the Nazis annihilated 6 million European Jews.

Irving is a man of great intellectual gifts who devoted his life to a
grotesque and evil project: rehabilitating the reputation of Hitler and
the Third Reich. Necessarily, that meant denying the Holocaust and
ridiculing those who suffered in it, and Irving has long done so with
relish. ''I don't see any reason to be tasteful about Auschwitz. It's
baloney, it's a legend," he told a Canadian audience in September 1991.
''There are so many Auschwitz survivors going around -- in fact the
number increases as the years go past, which is biologically very odd to
say the least -- I'm going to form an association of Auschwitz
Survivors, Survivors of the Holocaust, and Other Liars, or A-S-S-H-O-L-S."

Presumably Irving had in mind people like my father, whose arm bears to
this day the number A-10502, tattooed there in blue ink on May 28, 1944,
the day he and his family were transported to Auschwitz. My father's
parents, David and Leah Jakubovic, and his youngest brother and sister,
Alice, 8, and Yrvin, 10, were not tattooed; Jews deemed too old or too
young to work were sent immediately to the gas chambers. His teenage
as slave laborers. Zoltan was killed within days; Franceska lasted a few
months longer. Of the seven members of the Jakubovic family sent to
Auschwitz in the spring of 1944, only my father was alive in the spring
of 1945.

So on a personal level, the prospect of David Irving spending his next
three years in a prison cell is something over which I will lose no
sleep. He is a repugnant, hate-filled liar, who even as a child was
enamored of the Nazis and had a pronounced cruel streak.

But as a matter of law and public policy, Irving's sentence is
deplorable. The opinions he expressed are vile, and his arguments about
the Holocaust are ludicrous. But governments have no business
criminalizing opinions and arguments, not even those that are vile or
ludicrous. To be sure, freedom of speech is not absolute; laws against
libel, death threats, and falsely shouting fire in a crowded theater are
both reasonable and necessary. But free societies do not throw people in
prison for giving offensive speeches or spouting historical lies.

Austria, the nation that produced Hitler and cheered the Anschluss, may
well believe that its poisoned history requires a strong antidote.
Punishing anyone who ''denies, grossly trivializes, approves, or seeks
to justify" the Holocaust or other Nazi crimes may seem a small price to
pay to keep would-be totalitarians and hatemongers at bay. But a
government that can make the expression of Holocaust denial a crime
today can make the expression of other offensive opinions a crime tomorrow.

Americans, for whom the First Amendment is a birthright, should
understand this instinctively. ''If there is any principle of the
Constitution that more imperatively calls for attachment than any other
it is the principle of free thought," wrote Supreme Court Justice Oliver
Wendell Holmes Jr. in 1928. ''Not free thought for those who agree with
us, but freedom for the thought that we hate."

It is popular in some circles to argue that the United States should do
certain things -- adopt single-payer health insurance, abolish capital
punishment, etc. -- to conform to the practice in other democracies.
Those who find that a persuasive argument might consider that Irving is
behind bars today because Austria doesn't have a First Amendment.
Neither do Belgium, Canada, the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Israel,
Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, or Switzerland -- all of which
have made Holocaust denial a crime.

''Freedom for the thought we hate" is never an easy sell, but without it
there can be no true liberty. David Irving is a scurrilous creep, but he
doesn't belong in prison. Austria should let him go free -- not for his
sake, but for Austria's.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2006/03/01/freedom_of_hate_speech/