[Mb-civic] Google and My Red Flag - Sebastian Mallaby - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Mon Jan 30 03:57:14 PST 2006

Google and My Red Flag

By Sebastian Mallaby
Monday, January 30, 2006; A17

I work in an industry that Google may half-destroy, but last week I
sympathized with the gobbler of all ad revenue. Google was beaten up in
the media for bowing to censorship in China, even though plenty of news
organizations sell their wares in countries where they get censored.
Meanwhile, the dilemma of censorship turned personal for me. A Chinese
publisher expressed interest in my recent book on the World Bank --
provided that certain passages were deleted.

My first reaction was: Forget it. The test for such dilemmas is whether
you'd mind being outed in public. If a media critic lambasted me for
kowtowing to communist censors, I reckoned I'd feel lousy.

But my second reaction was different. I set the question of money aside:
If I went through with the deal, I'd give the (small) advance to a human
rights group. Having established that, what next? Was it better for
Western books to circulate in China in censored form, or was it better
not to circulate?

This seemed an imponderable question, so naturally I Googled it.

Google's answer to the China dilemma is better, and more subtle, than
that of other Internet firms. It does not simply assert that engagement
with China is always good. It recognizes the arms race between China's
repressive state power and China's liberating economic growth, and it
accepts the conclusion that follows: Some forms of engagement hasten
liberal trends; others empower jailers.

This is not a distinction acknowledged by all investors in China, nor
indeed in the China debate more generally. Policy types argue the merits
of engagement vs. containment as though there were nothing in between;
either you're for tough talk and sanctions, or you embrace the dragon
unequivocally. Both Bill Clinton and George Bush have favored
engagement, and both have waxed especially lyrical about the opening of
cyberspace. Clinton once laughed that China's efforts to control the
Internet were "like trying to nail Jell-O to the wall." "Freedom's genie
will be out of the bottle," Bush said of the Internet's arrival in the
Middle Kingdom.

This, plainly, is exaggerated. The fact that China had (according to a
2005 count) 4 million blogs is a good sign for Chinese expression, but
not necessarily for freedom. China has the largest cyberpolice force in
the world, which swoops down on bloggers who speak out against the
government. When a democracy activist named Wang Youcai seized the
occasion of Clinton's 1998 visit to China to launch an opposition party
online, he was promptly arrested and jailed for six years. He "became
Clinton's Jell-O, nailed to the wall," as Jack Goldsmith and Tim Wu
write in their forthcoming book on cyberspace.

But the problem with the Clinton-Bush rhetoric is not just that it's
blithe. It helps American companies to pretend that all China engagement
is positive. Thus the Internet router firm Cisco had no qualms about
building a great cyberwall around China, which blocks Chinese surfers
from "subversive" foreign Web sites. Thus Yahoo has obliged the Chinese
government by tracing pro-democracy e-mails to one of its users. The
e-mailer has been jailed, and Yahoo has effectively become a Chinese
police auxiliary.

But Google hasn't done that. It is creating a search service in China,
http://www.google.cn/ , but it is not erecting cyberwalls or helping to
arrest people. The new Google search service will give Chinese users
access to better information than they had before -- a clear gain for
freedom. And although the search service will be censored, it's hard to
see this as a net loss. The censored material would not have reached
China without Google's investment.

And that's not the best bit. Google has negotiated the right to
disclose, at the bottom of its Chinese search results, whether
information has been withheld -- a disclosure that may prompt users to
repeat their search using google.com instead of google.cn. Of course,
the second search might be frustrated by Cisco's routers. But disclosing
censorship is half the battle. If people know they are being
brainwashed, then they are not being brainwashed.

Which brings me back to my dilemma. The simple pro-engagement stance
would be to go ahead: Better that Western books reach China in
compromised form than that they be shut out altogether. But if the
censors remove my references to China's "prison labor," "dictatorial
system" and so on, a Chinese reader will find only my admiring comments
about the country's poverty-reducing growth -- and assume that this is
the sum total of what foreigners see in their country. That is where the
brainwashing begins, and I want no part of it.

And so, thanks to Google, I have come up with my answer. I'll accept the
Chinese offer on three conditions: The translation should include a note
warning the reader that it's been censored; the note should say which
chapter has been changed; I'll give the proceeds to a human rights
group. It feels good to have resolved that, but I don't really expect
this deal to go through. The Chinese offer may mysteriously vanish now
that I've written this column.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/29/AR2006012900708.html?nav=hcmodule