[Mb-civic] It's the Regime, Stupid - Robert Kagan - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sun Jan 29 06:30:00 PST 2006

It's the Regime, Stupid

By Robert Kagan
Sunday, January 29, 2006; B07

If an air and missile strike could destroy Iran's nuclear weapons
program, it might seem the best of many bad options. But the likely
costs outweigh the benefits.

Is the intelligence on Iran so much better than it was on Iraq? The
Clinton administration launched Operation Desert Fox against Iraq in
1998 to degrade its weapons programs, and even today we don't know what
it achieved. As President Clinton later put it, "We might have gotten it
all; we might have gotten half of it; we might have gotten none of it.
But we didn't know."

Would Desert Fox II in Iran, even on a larger scale, produce a very
different result? The Pentagon can hit facilities it can see with
relative confidence. But much of Iran's program is underground, and some
of it we don't know about. Even if a strike set back Iran's plans, we
would not know by how much. For all the price we would pay, we wouldn't
even know what we'd achieved.

And we would pay a price. President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and the mullahs
would declare victory, as Saddam Hussein did in 1998, and probably would
gain some sympathy and admiration from the Muslim world and beyond.
Instead of pushing for sanctions against Iran at the U.N. Security
Council, the administration might be fending off resolutions censuring
it for "aggression."

Then there is the prospect of Iranian retaliation: terrorist attacks,
military activity in Iraq, attempts to close off the Persian Gulf
shipping lanes and disrupt oil supplies. Unless we were prepared to
escalate, ultimately to the point of taking down the regime, we could
end up in worse shape than when we began.

But the inadequacy of the military strike option does not mean we can
simply turn to diplomacy. Diplomacy by itself has no better chance of
success. The present Iranian regime appears committed to acquiring a
nuclear weapon. It has been undeterred by the prospect of international
isolation or economic sanctions and apparently deems these hardships an
acceptable cost. If so, even bigger carrots will not persuade it to
forgo a program it considers vital to its interests. Fear of U.S.
military action is probably the only reason Iran even pretended to
negotiate with the Europeans (and a big reason why the Europeans have
negotiated with Iran), but it has not been enough to stop their program.

We need to reorient our strategy. Our justifiable fixation on preventing
Iran from getting the bomb has somehow kept us from pursuing a more
fundamental and more essential goal: political change in Iran. We need
to start supporting liberal and democratic change for an Iranian
population that we know seeks both.

No one wants to see Iran get a bomb, but it does matter who is in power.
We don't worry that France or Great Britain has nuclear weapons. We
tolerate India's and Israel's arsenals largely because we have some
faith that their democratic governments will not use them. Were Iran
ruled by even an imperfect democratic government, we would be much less
concerned about its weaponry. It might dismantle its program
voluntarily, as did Ukraine and South Africa. But even if it didn't, a
liberal and democratic Iran would be less paranoid about its security
and therefore less reliant on nuclear weapons to defend itself.

The Bush administration, despite its doctrine of democratization, has
not yet tried to apply it in the one place where ideals and strategic
interest most clearly intersect. It has done little to push for
political change or to exploit the evident weaknesses in the mullahs'
regime. The steps are obvious: Communicate directly to Iran's very
westernized population, through radio, the Internet and other media;
organize international support for unions and human rights and other
civic groups, as well as religious groups that oppose the regime;
provide covert support to those willing to use it; and impose sanctions,
not so much to stop the nuclear program -- since they probably won't --
but to squeeze the business elite that supports the regime.

Some worry about sparking another Hungarian-style uprising or Tiananmen
Square massacre. True, the mullahs might quash dissident movements we
support, just as they have quashed dissident movements we did not
support. But the Iranian people would not be worse off than they are
now, and if some want to risk their lives for freedom, who are we to
tell them they shouldn't?

This doesn't mean giving up on diplomacy. A strategy aimed at changing
the Iranian regime is entirely compatible with ongoing diplomatic
efforts to slow Iran's weapons programs. It might even aid diplomacy,
since Iran's leaders fear internal unrest more than external pressure.
In the 1970s and '80s, the West pursued arms control while it supported
dissidents and liberalization in the Soviet bloc. The one did not
preclude the other.

But we shouldn't delude ourselves. Efforts to foment political change
won't necessarily bear fruit in time to prevent Iran from acquiring a
bomb. That may be the risk we have to take. But if this or the next
administration decides it is too dangerous to wait for political change,
then the answer will have to be an invasion, not merely an air and
missile strike, to put an end to Iran's nuclear program as well as to
its regime. If Iran's possession of a nuclear weapon is truly
intolerable, that is the only military answer.

The nonmilitary answer in Iran is political change. That is where we
should now be directing our energy, our diplomacy, our intelligence and
our substantial economic resources. Yes, time is growing short, and
partly because so many years have already been squandered. But better to
start now than to squander more.

Robert Kagan, a senior associate at the Carnegie Endowment for
International Peace and transatlantic fellow at the German Marshall
Fund, writes a monthly column for The Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/27/AR2006012701231.html?nav=hcmodule