[Mb-civic] A Discredit to the GOP - Washington Post Editorial

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Jan 27 04:29:30 PST 2006

A Discredit to the GOP

Friday, January 27, 2006; A22

THE BUSH administration's distortion, for political purposes, of the
Democratic position on warrantless surveillance is loathsome. Despite
the best efforts of Karl Rove, the White House deputy chief of staff,
and Ken Mehlman, the Republican National Committee chairman, to make it
seem otherwise, Democrats are not opposed to vigorous, effective
surveillance that could uncover terrorist activity. Nor are the concerns
that they are expressing unique to their party. Republican Sens. John
McCain (Ariz.), Arlen Specter (Pa.), Chuck Hagel (Neb.), Lindsey O.
Graham (S.C.) and Sam Brownback (Kan.) have expressed legal doubts about
the surveillance program. Do they, too, have a "pre-9/11 worldview," as
Mr. Rove said of the Democrats?

Believing there should be constraints on unchecked executive power is
not the same as being weak-kneed about the war against terrorism.
Critics are suggesting that President Bush should have gone through
normal procedures for conducting such surveillance or asked Congress to
provide clear legal authority for the National Security Agency activity.
They are not contending that such surveillance shouldn't be conducted at
all. No leading Democrat has argued for barring this kind of potentially
useful technique.

But you wouldn't know that to listen to the GOP spin. "Let me be as
clear as I can be -- President Bush believes if al Qaeda is calling
somebody in America, it is in our national security interest to know who
they're calling and why," Mr. Rove said at the Republican National
Committee winter meeting last week. "Some important Democrats clearly
disagree." Mr. Mehlman named names. "Do Nancy Pelosi and Howard Dean
really think that when the NSA is listening in on terrorists planning
attacks on America, they need to hang up when those terrorists dial
their sleeper cells inside the United States?" he asked.

Maybe, as a matter of crass political calculation, Mr. Rove and Mr.
Mehlman are correct that Democrats criticizing warrantless wiretaps will
pay a price in the November elections. We don't pretend to know. What we
do know is that the country is in the midst of an important debate about
the reach of presidential power and the scope of civil liberties in
wartime. For Rove & Co. to try to turn this into just another partisan
political skewer discredits their administration and their party.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/26/AR2006012601903.html?nav=hcmodule