[Mb-civic] The War on Terror as an Indian War

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Jan 24 03:41:06 PST 2006

Tomdispatch: John Brown on the War on Terror as an Indian War

In the 1940s and 1950s, when the generation of men now ruling over us
were growing up, boys could disappear into a form of war play -- barely
noticed by adults and hardly recorded anywhere -- that was already
perhaps a couple of hundred years old. In this kind of play, there was
no need to enact the complicated present by recreating a junior version
of an anxiety-ridden Cold War garrison state (though you could purchase
your own H2O Missile, a water-powered toy "ICBM" in imitation of the
sort just then being prepared by adults to pulverize the planet). For
children in those years, there was still a sacramental, triumphalist
version of American history, a spectacle of slaughter in which they
invariably fell before our guns. This spectacle could be experienced in
any movie theater, and then played out in backyards and on floors with
toy six guns (or sticks) or little toy bluecoats, Indians, and cowboys,
or green, inch-high plastic sets of World War II soldiers. As play, for
those who grew up in that time, it was sunshine itself, pure pleasure.
The Western (as well as its modern successor, the war film) was on
screen everywhere then.

When those children grew up (barely), some of them went off to Vietnam,
dreaming of John Wayne-like feats as they entered what they came to call
"Indian country"; while others sallied off to demonstrate against the
war dressed either in the cast-off World War II garb of their fathers or
in the movie-inspired get-ups of the former enemy of another age --
headbands and moccasins, painted faces, love beads (those previously
worthless baubles with which, everyone knew, Manhattan had so
fraudulently been purchased), as well as peace (now drug) pipes.
Sometimes, they even formed themselves into "tribes."

As it turns out, though, there was a third category of young men in
those years -- those who essentially steered clear of the Vietnam
experience, who, as our Vice President put it inelegantly but
accurately, had "other priorities
<http://www.motherjones.com/commentary/columns/2000/07/cheney.html> in
the '60s." Critics have sometimes spoken of such Bush administration
figures as "chickenhawks"
<http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0434,robbins,56166,1.html> for their
lack of war experience. But this is actually inaccurate. They were
warriors of a sort -- screen warriors. They had an abundance of combat
experience because, unlike their peers, they never left the confines of
those movie theaters, where American war was always glorious, our
military men always out on some frontier, and the Indians, or their
modern equivalents, always falling by their scores before our might as
the cavalry bugle sounded or the Marine Hymn welled up. By avoiding
becoming either the warriors or the anti-warriors of the Vietnam era,
they managed to remain quite deeply embedded in centuries of
triumphalist frontier mythology. They were, in a sense, the Peter Pans
of American war play.

So no one should have been surprised that, when George Bush declared his
global war on terror, he also swore to get Osama bin Laden in this