[Mb-civic] Sen. Obama on Meet The Press

Linda Hassler lindahassler at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 20 20:00:30 PST 2006

Earlier this week, Senator Obama joined Senate Democratic Leader Harry
Reid, House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi and their Senate and House
colleagues to shine a spotlight on the Republican "pay for play"
politics that put special interests first at the expense of the
priorities of the American people.
> "We've seen the head of the White House procurement office arrested.
> We've seen some of our most powerful leaders of both the House and the
> Senate under federal investigation. We've seen the number of
> registered lobbyists in Washington double since George Bush came into
> office. And of course, we've seen the indictment of Jack Abramoff.
>
> Over the past few days, there have been suggestions by Republican
> operatives and commentators that this is somehow a bipartisan scandal.
>
> But let's be clear - while the Democrats certainly are not without sin
> when it comes to money in politics, Jack Abramoff and Michael Scanlon
> and the K Street project - these are Republican sins, and Republican
> sins alone.
>
> What is also true is that the offenses involved go beyond Jack
> Abramoff. They are bigger than golf junkets to Scotland and lavish
> gifts for lawmakers.
>
> The recent scandals have shaken the very foundation of the American
> people's faith in a government that will look out for their interests
> and uphold their values.
>
> Because they don't just lead to morally offensive conduct on the part
> of politicians. They lead to morally offensive legislation that hurts
> hardworking Americans."
For more coverage:
  Democrats Counter GOP on Congress Ethics (Associated Press)

NBC's Meet the Press
You can hear more from Senator Obama on Sunday's Meet the Press.
It airs Sunday at 9:30 AM on NBC5 in Chicago or click here to find your
local listings.