[Mb-civic] Senator Obama on Meet the Press

Linda Hassler lindahassler at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 20 11:58:50 PST 2006

This Sunday morning's Meet The Press (NBC News) features Senator Barack
Obama (D-ILL) speaking on Congressional ethics.

Honest Leadership and Open Government

Earlier this week, Senator Obama joined Senate Democratic Leader Harry
Reid, House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi and their Senate and House
colleagues to shine a spotlight on the Republican "pay for play"
politics that put special interests first at the expense of the
priorities of the American people.
> "We've seen the head of the White House procurement office arrested.
> We've seen some of our most powerful leaders of both the House and the
> Senate under federal investigation. We've seen the number of
> registered lobbyists in Washington double since George Bush came into
> office. And of course, we've seen the indictment of Jack Abramoff.
>
> Over the past few days, there have been suggestions by Republican
> operatives and commentators that this is somehow a bipartisan scandal.
>
> But let's be clear - while the Democrats certainly are not without sin
> when it comes to money in politics, Jack Abramoff and Michael Scanlon
> and the K Street project - these are Republican sins, and Republican
> sins alone.
>
> What is also true is that the offenses involved go beyond Jack
> Abramoff. They are bigger than golf junkets to Scotland and lavish
> gifts for lawmakers.
>
> The recent scandals have shaken the very foundation of the American
> people's faith in a government that will look out for their interests
> and uphold their values.
>
> Because they don't just lead to morally offensive conduct on the part
> of politicians. They lead to morally offensive legislation that hurts
> hardworking Americans."
For more coverage:
Democrats Counter GOP on Congress Ethics (Associated Press)

NBC's Meet the Press

You can hear more from Senator Obama on this week's Meet the Press.

It airs Sunday at 9:30 AM on NBC5 in Chicago or go to
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3080248/ to find your local listings.

Visit the web address below to tell your friends about this.