[Mb-civic] Purported Bin Laden Audio Tape Warns of Attacks - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Thu Jan 19 10:24:14 PST 2006

Purported Bin Laden Audio Tape Warns of Attacks

By William Branigin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, January 19, 2006; 12:27 PM

A man purported to be Osama bin Laden warned that al Qaeda is preparing
new terrorist attacks in the United States but indicated the group was
open to a truce in response to U.S. public opinion against the war in
Iraq, according to an audiotape aired by an Arabic television network today.

Portions of the tape were broadcast by the al-Jazeera satellite
television network. The speaker reportedly sounded like bin Laden, but
there was no immediate confirmation that the voice on the tape was his.

If authentic, the tape would mark the first time that bin Laden has been
heard from since December 2004, when he urged Iraqis to boycott the
January 2005 elections in Iraq and praised attacks by Abu Musab Zarqawi,
a Jordanian terrorist who heads an al Qaeda affiliate in Iraq. Since
then, all the broadcast messages from al Qaeda's top leadership have
been delivered by bin Laden's Egyptian deputy, Ayman Zawahiri, prompting
some speculation that bin Laden himself was dead or incapacitated.

On the tape, the speaker alleged to be bin Laden charges that President
Bush is misleading the American people and warns that U.S. forces should
leave Iraq and Afghanistan. The speaker refers to attacks in Europe and
threatens more such strikes in the United States.

"Our mujaheddin [Islamic fighters] were able to overcome all the
security measures in European countries, and you saw their operation in
major European capitals," the speaker says, according to a translation
by CNN.

"As for similar operations taking place in America, it's only a matter
of time. They are in the planning stages, and you will see them in the
heart of your land as soon as the planning is complete."

There was no immediate indication of when the audiotape was recorded. It
was aired less than a week after a U.S. air strike on a suspected al
Qaeda hideout in a remote area of Pakistan killed at least 13 people,
but apparently not the main target of the attack, Zawahiri. Reportedly
among those killed were several top al Qaeda operatives, as well as
women and children.

A senior administration official said U.S. intelligence was trying to
determine whether the speaker on the audiotape was really bin Laden.
Even if that is confirmed, the government would be wary about drawing
any conclusions from the audiotape until U.S. intelligence has done its
own translation and analyzed the statements in context, the official said.

According to the CNN translation, the speaker on the tape warns that
"the war against America and its allies will not be confined to Iraq,"
which he says "has become a magnet for attracting and training talented
fighters."

References on the tape to attacks in Europe appeared to indicate that it
was recorded sometime after four suicide bombers killed 52 people in a
July 7, 2005, attack on London's transportation system.

Al-Jazeera said on its Web site that the tape dates to December 2005,
but did not say how this conclusion was reached.

The network's editor in chief, Ahmed Sheik, said the full tape is 10
minutes long and that four "newsworthy" excerpts were broadcast, the
Associated Press reported. Sheik would not say what was on the rest of
the tape or comment on when or where it was received.

"This message is about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and how to end
those wars," the tape begins, according a translation by al-Jazeera. "It
was not my intention to talk to you about this, because those wars are
definitely going our way. But what triggered my desire to talk to you is
the continuous deliberate misinformation given by your President Bush,
when it comes to polls made in your home country which reveal that the
majority of your people are willing to withdraw U.S. forces from Iraq."

The speaker cites unspecified polls that "show the Americans don't want
to fight the Muslims on Muslim land, nor do they want Muslims to fight
them on their land." However, he says, Bush has ignored the polls and
"claims that it's better to fight his enemies on their land rather than
on American land."

The speaker continues, "In response to the substance of the polls . . .
we do not mind offering a long-term truce based on just conditions that
we will stick to. We are a nation that Allah banned from lying and
stabbing others in the back. Hence both parties of the truce will enjoy
stability and security to rebuild Iraq and Afghanistan, which were
destroyed by war."

The speaker offered no details of such a truce in the portions of the
tape that al Jazeera aired.

Bin laden previously offered a truce to European countries in an
audiotape that was broadcast in April 2004.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/19/AR2006011901465.html?nav=hcmodule