[Mb-civic] Men's Abortion Rights By JOHN TIERNEY

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Wed Jan 11 19:38:50 PST 2006

Michael:

This is one of those issues that "dare not speak its name."  I think Tierney
is very much on point.  While it is true that it is the woman who must deal
with nine months of pregnancy - and there is nothing that can change that,
and it is certainly a relevant point - this does not negate the fact that
the male (husband, live-in lover, whatever) (i) contributed half of the
"life" via the sperm, (ii) does have to deal with certain aspects of the
pregnancy, (iii) will almost certainly be solely or largely financially
responsible for the child, and, most importantly, (iv) has as much of a
psycho-emotional stake in having and raising the child as the woman.

The issue is just plain not as simple as "Well, I'm the one who has to be
pregnant for nine months."  There is FAR MORE involved and at stake then the
physical discomfort of pregnancy and childbirth, and even ancillary issues
such as loss of work time, etc.  And BOTH PARTIES have MAJOR stakes in the
outcome.

Peace.