[Mb-civic] Re: Castro and Pinochet

Alexander Harper harperalexander at mail.com
Thu Jan 5 11:19:50 PST 2006

It occurs to me that 'friends of the US' - ie The late Shah of Iran, Noriega, General Alfredo Stroessner (Paraguay), General Videla (Argentina), the Marcos's and yes, General Pinochet tend to spend their declining years in far greater ignominy than 'enemies of the US'. Saadam falls into the 'friends' category, really, after all he liberally used his fellow countrymen as cannon fodder in the pursuit of the US's geo-strategic interests against the mullahs in Iran. He only became an enemy, and after all everyone needs an enemy, after his ill-fated incursion into Kuwait, which he was not discouraged from doing at the time by his 'friends'' ambassador in Baghdad - a lady, who has never   been allowed to open her mouth since.
Fidel Castro, Kim il Sung, Mao, Deng, Brezhnev and various other 'enemies' all ended/are ending their days loved and respected by nearly everybody - except the US. If I were Tony Blair, I would be worried.
Al B.