No subject

Fri Feb 24 11:55:10 PST 2006

policy may have been greater than that of any individual other than the
president since Henry A. Kissinger held the positions of national
security adviser and secretary of state during the Nixon years. Defense
Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld served as Cheney's partner in steamrolling
bureaucratic rivals; Colin L. Powell toiled loyally at the largely
ignored and mistrusted State Department; and Condoleezza Rice, national
security adviser and ostensibly the coordinator of policy, played the
role of tutor to a neophyte president and seldom challenged Cheney. As a
result, policies were largely shaped by the vice president and his circle.

But Cheney's influence has waned. He's lost his top aide, his public
approval ratings are dismal, and his network of supporters inside the
administration has dissolved. At the same time, Rice has taken charge at
State, and the National Security Council has faded even further. The
result is a kinder, gentler face on foreign policy, but also a void in
the Bush administration foreign policy apparatus just where it matters
most -- the White House.

Presidents need strong figures in the White House to harmonize competing
views and cabinet departments. Otherwise, an administration cannot deal
effectively with the pressing problems of foreign policy. And there are
plenty of them for Bush today, ranging from the immediate, such as
Iran's challenge to the nuclear nonproliferation regime, to the long
term, such as how to manage our interdependence with China.

Last week demonstrated the new order. Cheney was relegated to the
traditional vice presidential duty of playing the president's heavy. He
rattled the U.S. saber and threatened Iran with "meaningful
consequences" for its failure to comply with international nuclear
safeguards, only to have Rice temper his comments later the same day. As
secretary of state, Rice is now more policy architect than presidential
aide. Cheney was a role player, not the puppetmaster.

The ebbing of foreign policy initiative away from the White House over
the last year represents a striking change from the previous 35 years.
During that time, the NSC asserted primacy in foreign policy, nudging
aside the State Department, which had been the grande dame of American
cabinet agencies since Thomas Jefferson served as its first secretary.

Created in 1947, the NSC was transformed by Richard Nixon and Henry
Kissinger from a tiny team of paper pushers and facilitators into a hub
of real policy shapers. Nixon and other Oval Office occupants worried
that the appointees they sent to State would "go native" over at Foggy
Bottom, just 10 minutes from the White House. "You'd be surprised how
big a deal that distance can become," remarked Kissinger. The NSC gave
the president a foreign policy staff he could call his own and who owed
loyalty only to him.

Since Kissinger, national security advisers have equaled or surpassed
secretaries of State in influence. His successors such as Brent
Scowcroft, Zbigniew Brzezinski, Frank Carlucci, Powell and Samuel R.
Berger have often galled the State Department by taking the lead.

Then, during George W. Bush's first term in office, something
unprecedented happened. The seat at the head of the White House
policymaking table was, in effect, taken over by the vice president.
Cheney's own national security team was larger than the entire NSC staff
had been during the early days of John F. Kennedy's administration.
Cheney's chief of staff and national security adviser, I. Lewis
"Scooter" Libby, enjoyed the same protocol rank as the president's
national security adviser.

What has changed? First, the president no longer depends on the vice
president as he did in the days after Sept. 11, 2001, when Bush was
still learning national security on the job and the nation was in
crisis. The president today is better schooled, more experienced and
more confident. Second, Rumsfeld, who is Cheney's staunchest supporter
after the president and whose vacation home is just a few steps away
from Cheney's on Maryland's Eastern Shore, has lost a lot of his clout.
No longer the center of attention, as he was during the offensives in
Afghanistan and Iraq, Rumsfeld has legions of his own detractors.

Third, Libby's legal woes over his alleged disclosure of a CIA
operative's identity has been a huge distraction. And his departure was
only part of the disintegration of the administration's network of
neoconservatives that Cheney tapped into. Deputy Secretary of Defense
Paul Wolfowitz decamped for the World Bank, Undersecretary of Defense
Doug Feith left government, and Undersecretary of State John Bolton
received the ironic punishment of being posted to the United Nations, an
institution he had derided as irrelevant.

Then there is the matter of Cheney's personality. One former top Bush
administration official says, "I have always felt that his relentless
pessimism was unsustainable. After a while people want more than fear,
they want a positive vision and that was not his strong suit."

Now, Rice is in her ascendancy at State. Diplomatic, thoughtful and a
good listener, she is the Un-Cheney. She has the ear and trust of the
president and she has been embraced by U.S. allies for her efforts to
repair the damage to ties frayed by first-term policies. She has
appointed seasoned internationalists and her former deputy, Stephen J.
Hadley, who has replaced her at the NSC, seems content to remain
subordinate to her. One former NSC staffer said to me, "He runs the NSC
like it was a bureau of State's."

In the eyes of many, notably State Department types who have long felt
that foreign policy should be led by diplomats, that is just fine. They
would like the NSC once again to become more of a coordinating mechanism
than an originator of ideas.

But diplomacy is only one of many tools the United States has at its
disposal when it comes to international relations. The State Department
is in no position to mobilize Defense, Treasury, the U.S. Trade
Representative or any other agency. The NSC is the place where all the
president's options come together.

With the profile of the NSC receding under Hadley, this critical role
has been weakened. A lawyer who has worked closely with virtually every
GOP foreign policy team since the 1970s, Hadley gets high marks for
improving interagency coordination. But the joke for the past year in
the foreign policy community has been that Rice has two deputies: Robert
Zoellick at State and Hadley. One longtime associate of Hadley who
worked closely with him in this administration says, "Steve is very,
very, very, very, very, very, very cautious. He is a lawyer not just by
training but by disposition." Despite traditional rivalries between the
NSC and State, one State Department official said, "My only concern is
whether he is too invisible, whether the administration wouldn't be
better off if he were more out in front on the issues."

So how well will this new, more harmonious dynamic serve U.S. foreign
policy? As Brzezinski said to me, "The question really is whether the
administration's new look amounts to merely a toning down of past
policies or whether it is really the beginning of something new." Will
the Bush foreign policy legacy be something more than Afghanistan, Iraq
and the opportunity costs of the overwhelming focus on the latter?

"I believe people will ultimately look at the foreign policy of this
administration as having had four quarters, like a football game," one
senior official at State told me. "The first was focused on 9/11 and the
instant coalition that was offered to us by the world to support our
efforts in responding to the terrorist threat. The second came as we
made the decision to enter Iraq and did so in a way that undercut much
of our international support. The third has been spent, during the past
year, with Condi's leadership, rebuilding those international
coalitions. But the fourth will be about Iran."

And as any football fan knows, the last quarter often counts the most.
Iran "is the critical challenge we face," the State Department official
added, "but I would have to say, that if I were a betting man, I would
not give us very high odds of achieving our goal of keeping Iran from
gaining nuclear weapons or emerging as an even more formidable threat to
us in the Middle East."

As it happens, the Bush administration devoted itself to containing the
weapons of mass destruction threat of a terrorist-supporting Gulf state
during its first term. Now diplomacy, however frustrating, has replaced
preemption even though the administration is now facing such a threat,
this time more real than imagined. If Iran becomes a nuclear power, then
the test for U.S. policy will not be about prevention at all, but rather
about how to manage new threats in a world in which the nuclear
nonproliferation regime is rapidly failing and in which
terrorist-sponsoring states will have real nuclear capabilities.

To manage that will require the help of one of our most critical
partners, China, which is also one of our most challenging rivals. We
compete for oil resources, jobs and influence. Yet, unlike the distance
between us and our Cold War rival, interdependence characterizes our
relationship with China. To hurt China would be to injure ourselves. We
benefit from its growth and China benefits from ours.

Yet our policy toward China lacks coherence. Some people may long for
political instability that could bring about a more humane, democratic
way of life in China, but unrest there could also take lives and wound
the world economy. While there was a great hue and cry about China's
desire to purchase a U.S. oil company last year, there was virtually
none when the same Chinese company made a major acquisition in Africa, a
region from which, in 10 years, we are likely to get as much of our oil
as we do today from the Middle East.

If our foreign policy is to do more than damage control from the first
term of the Bush administration, it must tackle a new and broader set of
priorities with real creativity. For example, in the case of our
relations with China, we need to develop a Doctrine of Interdependence
-- an approach that carefully uses the levers at our disposal, all the
carrots and the sticks, the tools of our interdependence, to help shape
relationships, contain threats and drive common interests. In the case
of Iran, we need a replacement for a worn-out and abused nuclear
nonproliferation regime.

These are hardly policies that can be run from the State Department
alone. The reason the NSC has risen in influence in the past is that
relationships such as these require genuine collaboration among all
agencies, mutually conceived and orchestrated policies, and these can
only be driven and implemented by the White House. The decline of the
NSC is antithetical to the new challenges we face. It's good to have a
more effective, engaged State Department and a diminution of the role of
the vice president, who is in no position to play the role of honest
broker. But the real challenges of our time require that Rice and Hadley
go well beyond process and damage control. Being better than the last
term is not enough.

drothkopf at carnegieendowment.org <mailto:drothkopf at carnegieendowment.org>

David Rothkopf is a visiting scholar at the Carnegie Endowment for
International Peace and the author of "Running the World: The Inside
Story of the National Security Council and the Architects of American
Power" (Public Affairs).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/10/AR2006031002060.html

--------------080905090709060605070101

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
 size="-1"><br>
The Washington Post Sunday Outlook Magazine<br>
Sunday, March 12, 2006; B01<br>
2001 to 2005, the vice president's influence over U.S. foreign policy
may have been greater than that of any individual other than the
president since Henry A. Kissinger held the positions of national
security adviser and secretary of state during the Nixon years. Defense
Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld served as Cheney's partner in steamrolling
bureaucratic rivals; Colin L. Powell toiled loyally at the largely
ignored and mistrusted State Department; and Condoleezza Rice, national
security adviser and ostensibly the coordinator of policy, played the
role of tutor to a neophyte president and seldom challenged Cheney. As
a result, policies were largely shaped by the vice president and his
circle.</p>
his public approval ratings are dismal, and his network of supporters
inside the administration has dissolved. At the same time, Rice has
taken charge at State, and the National Security Council has faded even
further. The result is a kinder, gentler face on foreign policy, but
also a void in the Bush administration foreign policy apparatus just
where it matters most -- the White House.</p>
figures in the White House to harmonize competing views and cabinet
departments. Otherwise, an administration cannot deal effectively with
the pressing problems of foreign policy. And there are plenty of them
for Bush today, ranging from the immediate, such as Iran's challenge to
the nuclear nonproliferation regime, to the long term, such as how to
manage our interdependence with China.</p>
new order. Cheney was relegated to the traditional vice presidential
duty of playing the president's heavy. He rattled the U.S. saber and
threatened Iran with "meaningful consequences" for its failure to
comply with international nuclear safeguards, only to have Rice temper
his comments later the same day. As secretary of state, Rice is now
more policy architect than presidential aide. Cheney was a role player,
not the puppetmaster.</p>
away from the White House over the last year represents a striking
change from the previous 35 years. During that time, the NSC asserted
primacy in foreign policy, nudging aside the State Department, which
had been the grande dame of American cabinet agencies since Thomas
Jefferson served as its first secretary.</p>
was transformed by Richard Nixon and Henry Kissinger from a tiny team
of paper pushers and facilitators into a hub of real policy shapers.
Nixon and other Oval Office occupants worried that the appointees they
sent to State would "go native" over at Foggy Bottom, just 10 minutes
from the White House. "You'd be surprised how big a deal that distance
can become," remarked Kissinger. The NSC gave the president a foreign
policy staff he could call his own and who owed loyalty only to him.</p>
Kissinger, national security advisers have equaled or surpassed
secretaries of State in influence. His successors such as Brent
Scowcroft, Zbigniew Brzezinski, Frank Carlucci, Powell and Samuel R.
Berger have often galled the State Department by taking the lead.</p>
during George W. Bush's first term in office, something unprecedented
happened. The seat at the head of the White House policymaking table
was, in effect, taken over by the vice president. Cheney's own national
security team was larger than the entire NSC staff had been during the
early days of John F. Kennedy's administration. Cheney's chief of staff
and national security adviser, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, enjoyed the
same protocol rank as the president's national security adviser.</p>
has changed? First, the president no longer depends on the vice
president as he did in the days after Sept. 11, 2001, when Bush was
still learning national security on the job and the nation was in
crisis. The president today is better schooled, more experienced and
more confident. Second, Rumsfeld, who is Cheney's staunchest supporter
after the president and whose vacation home is just a few steps away
from Cheney's on Maryland's Eastern Shore, has lost a lot of his clout.
No longer the center of attention, as he was during the offensives in
Afghanistan and Iraq, Rumsfeld has legions of his own detractors.</p>
Libby's legal woes over his alleged disclosure of a CIA operative's
identity has been a huge distraction. And his departure was only part
of the disintegration of the administration's network of
neoconservatives that Cheney tapped into. Deputy Secretary of Defense
Paul Wolfowitz decamped for the World Bank, Undersecretary of Defense
Doug Feith left government, and Undersecretary of State John Bolton
received the ironic punishment of being posted to the United Nations,
an institution he had derided as irrelevant.</p>
matter of Cheney's personality. One former top Bush administration
official says, "I have always felt that his relentless pessimism was
unsustainable. After a while people want more than fear, they want a
positive vision and that was not his strong suit."</p>
in her ascendancy at State. Diplomatic, thoughtful and a good listener,
she is the Un-Cheney. She has the ear and trust of the president and
she has been embraced by U.S. allies for her efforts to repair the
damage to ties frayed by first-term policies. She has appointed
seasoned internationalists and her former deputy, Stephen J. Hadley,
who has replaced her at the NSC, seems content to remain subordinate to
her. One former NSC staffer said to me, "He runs the NSC like it was a
bureau of State's."</p>
types who have long felt that foreign policy should be led by
diplomats, that is just fine. They would like the NSC once again to
become more of a coordinating mechanism than an originator of ideas.</p>
diplomacy is only one of many tools the United States has at its
disposal when it comes to international relations. The State Department
is in no position to mobilize Defense, Treasury, the U.S. Trade
Representative or any other agency. The NSC is the place where all the
president's options come together.</p>
receding under Hadley, this critical role has been weakened. A lawyer
who has worked closely with virtually every GOP foreign policy team
since the 1970s, Hadley gets high marks for improving interagency
coordination. But the joke for the past year in the foreign policy
community has been that Rice has two deputies: Robert Zoellick at State
and Hadley. One longtime associate of Hadley who worked closely with
him in this administration says, "Steve is very, very, very, very,
very, very, very cautious. He is a lawyer not just by training but by
disposition." Despite traditional rivalries between the NSC and State,
one State Department official said, "My only concern is whether he is <i>too</i>
invisible, whether the administration wouldn't be better off if he were
more out in front on the issues."</p>
how well will this new, more harmonious dynamic serve U.S. foreign
policy? As Brzezinski said to me, "The question really is whether the
administration's new look amounts to merely a toning down of past
policies or whether it is really the beginning of something new." Will
the Bush foreign policy legacy be something more than Afghanistan, Iraq
and the opportunity costs of the overwhelming focus on the latter?</p>
believe people will ultimately look at the foreign policy of this
administration as having had four quarters, like a football game," one
senior official at State told me. "The first was focused on 9/11 and
the instant coalition that was offered to us by the world to support
our efforts in responding to the terrorist threat. The second came as
we made the decision to enter Iraq and did so in a way that undercut
much of our international support. The third has been spent, during the
past year, with Condi's leadership, rebuilding those international
coalitions. But the fourth will be about Iran."</p>
football fan knows, the last quarter often counts the most. Iran "is
the critical challenge we face," the State Department official added,
"but I would have to say, that if I were a betting man, I would not
give us very high odds of achieving our goal of keeping Iran from
gaining nuclear weapons or emerging as an even more formidable threat
to us in the Middle East."</p>
devoted itself to containing the weapons of mass destruction threat of
a terrorist-supporting Gulf state during its first term. Now diplomacy,
however frustrating, has replaced preemption even though the
administration is now facing such a threat, this time more real than
imagined. If Iran becomes a nuclear power, then the test for U.S.
policy will not be about prevention at all, but rather about how to
manage new threats in a world in which the nuclear nonproliferation
regime is rapidly failing and in which terrorist-sponsoring states will
have real nuclear capabilities.</p>
help of one of our most critical partners, China, which is also one of
our most challenging rivals. We compete for oil resources, jobs and
influence. Yet, unlike the distance between us and our Cold War rival,
interdependence characterizes our relationship with China. To hurt
China would be to injure ourselves. We benefit from its growth and
China benefits from ours.</p>
coherence. Some people may long for political instability that could
bring about a more humane, democratic way of life in China, but unrest
there could also take lives and wound the world economy. While there
was a great hue and cry about China's desire to purchase a U.S. oil
company last year, there was virtually none when the same Chinese
company made a major acquisition in Africa, a region from which, in 10
years, we are likely to get as much of our oil as we do today from the
Middle East.</p>
control from the first term of the Bush administration, it must tackle
a new and broader set of priorities with real creativity. For example,
in the case of our relations with China, we need to develop a Doctrine
of Interdependence -- an approach that carefully uses the levers at our
disposal, all the carrots and the sticks, the tools of our
interdependence, to help shape relationships, contain threats and drive
common interests. In the case of Iran, we need a replacement for a
worn-out and abused nuclear nonproliferation regime.</p>
hardly policies that can be run from the State Department alone. The
reason the NSC has risen in influence in the past is that relationships
such as these require genuine collaboration among all agencies,
mutually conceived and orchestrated policies, and these can only be
driven and implemented by the White House. The decline of the NSC is
antithetical to the new challenges we face. It's good to have a more
effective, engaged State Department and a diminution of the role of the
vice president, who is in no position to play the role of honest
broker. But the real challenges of our time require that Rice and
Hadley go well beyond process and damage control. Being better than the
last term is not enough.</p>
Rothkopf is a visiting scholar at the Carnegie Endowment for
International Peace and the author of "Running the World: The Inside
Story of the National Security Council and the Architects of American
<a
 href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/10/AR2006031002060.html">http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/10/AR2006031002060.html</a><br>