[Mb-civic] Port Deal To Have Broader Review - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Mon Feb 27 03:49:47 PST 2006

Port Deal To Have Broader Review
Dubai Firm Sought U.S. Security Probe

By Jonathan Weisman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, February 27, 2006; A01

The Bush administration said yesterday that it has accepted a proposal
from a Dubai maritime company to conduct a 45-day review of the national
security implications of the company's plans to take control of
significant operations at six U.S. ports.

The announcement by Dubai Ports World, brokered by the White House and
Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.), appears to satisfy the
demands of many members of Congress, who had threatened to force a
security review if the administration would not conduct one. The deal
also offered pledges to reassure the United States that the ports deal
would not pose any threats to American safety and security.

The administration had approved DP World's $6.85 billion purchase of
London-based Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co. (P&O) earlier
this month without conducting a security review, after a broad
interagency panel that looked at the transaction concluded the takeover
of port operations in the United States would not affect the nation's
safety.

But last week, members of both political parties erupted in furor,
questioning the administration's judgment and promising to delay the
deal, if not scuttle it. After President Bush vowed to veto any
legislation that would thwart the Dubai company's plans, the most public
clash between the Republican Congress and the Bush White House seemed in
the offing. But yesterday's announcement may have headed off any showdown.

"We recognize that there are concerns regarding DP World's acquisition
of P&O's U.S. terminal operations. Despite having already obtained
approval by the federal government, we continue to take voluntary steps
to assure people that the security of the U.S. will not be harmed as a
result of this acquisition," said Edward H. "Ted" Bilkey, DP World's
chief operating officer.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan said: "We are pleased that Dubai
Ports reached a middle ground with Congress. The transaction was closely
scrutinized by the appropriate national security and intelligence
officials, and important safeguards are in place. We believe, however,
the additional time and investigation at the request of the company will
provide Congress with a better understanding of the facts, and that
Congress will be comfortable with the transaction moving forward once it
does."

Eric Ueland, Frist's chief of staff, said yesterday that the Senate
majority leader would ask the relevant committees to continue oversight
while the administration conducts its review, and he said the company
will have to continue its efforts to reassure lawmakers.

But, he said, Frist and GOP leaders would not tamper with the secretive
interagency administration panel, known as the Committee on Foreign
Investment in the United States (CFIUS), during the review. The
committee said yesterday in a statement that it welcomes the
announcement and that it will "promptly initiate the review process and
fulfill Dubai's request for a full investigation."

Sen. John W. Warner (R-Va.), who supports the deal, said on NBC's "Meet
the Press" that the new agreement "spells out unequivocally the
willingness of this company to give every means of support to help work
this thing out."

Warner called the ports deal diplomatically and economically vital to
the United States. "This is going to establish a precedent, and it's got
to be done in a way not to choke off other opportunities," he said.

Lawmakers who had threatened to block or delay the deal welcomed a
longer investigation. Rep. Peter T. King (R-N.Y.) said the new proposal
probably would quell calls for emergency legislation in Congress this
week. He said a deeper investigation is necessary of a United Arab
Emirates-owned company operating U.S. ports.

"This was only 4 1/2 , five years ago that they were very close to bin
Laden, they were supporting Taliban," King, who heads the House Homeland
Security Committee, said on "Meet the Press." "And unless there's been a
complete transformation, I have real concerns."

Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.), another critic of the deal, agreed
that the delay would forestall immediate action in Congress but
emphasized that transparency is vital in the new investigation. "If,
after the 45-day investigation, it's kept secret, it's given to the
president, who after all has come out for this deal already, I don't
think that's going to assure the American people," he said on CBS's
"Face the Nation."

Under the terms of the deal announced by DP World, the company would
proceed with its takeover of P&O. That deal is to be completed Thursday.

But DP World said it would "guarantee" the independence of operations at
the ports of New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Miami and
New Orleans by establishing North American operations as a "completely
separate" business unit. Management of the North American operations
would be left in the hands of P&O's chief executive in London, who is
British. The chief security officer of the North American unit would
still be a U.S. citizen, unless the Coast Guard approves a change.

The rest of the current management of P&O in the United States also
would remain in place, and DP World pledged not to interfere with
operations, policies, procedures or security that was in place when P&O
ran the U.S. terminals.

The statement concluded that all these pledges would remain in place
until May 1 or the completion of the CFIUS review.

"We are confident the further review by CFIUS will confirm that DP
World's acquisition of P&O's U.S. operations does not pose any threat to
Americans' safety and security. We hope that voluntarily agreeing to
further scrutiny demonstrates our commitment to our long-standing
relationship with the United States," Bilkey said.

The deal was worked out over a series of meetings Friday among Frist,
Bilkey, DP World lawyers, Cabinet secretaries and White House officials.
Late Friday, Frist recommended to the government of the United Arab
Emirates and to House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) that DP World
request a security review and more clearly spell out how it intended to
separate its U.S. operations from port management around the world.

DP World executives and their lawyers worked through the agreement all
day Saturday, while GOP leaders in Congress and White House officials
focused on the next political steps. Ueland said Frist is pleased with
yesterday's company statement, indicating it comported with his
expectations.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/26/AR2006022600737.html?referrer=email