[Mb-civic] Youthful convictions - Elissa Ely - Boston Globe Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sun Feb 26 07:58:25 PST 2006

  Youthful convictions

By Elissa Ely  |  February 26, 2006  |  The Boston Globe

MY STEPFATHER was an occasional oracle. It was one of his few
self-indulgences. He liked to reveal to us the ways we were going to
change with age and wisdom. The prophecies he made were infuriating and
unbelievable; he had no expertise in us.

I particularly remember the political prophecy he made -- that we would
grow more conservative with time. On the military front, we would move
from dove to hawk; it was preservation of self. On the domestic front,
once we started working hard for our money -- so hard that we were tired
by the end of the day -- we would think more carefully about supporting
those who did not work for theirs.

He spoke from experience that was hard to question. In my sleep I could
hear the tread of his shoes on the carpet by 6:15 a.m. The car was
warming in the garage by 6:20. It slid down the driveway by 6:45. It
slid back into the garage between 6:30 and 6:45 p.m., minutes after the
iceberg lettuce, refrigerator crystals still on the leaves, had been
placed on salad plates for dinner at 7:00.

He worked these hours into his late 70s, and on Sundays sat at the
dining room table surrounded by tool manuals, listening to opera in his
socks, cross-indexing some client's catalog by hand before it went to
press. He would have preferred lying on the sofa, conducting opera with
his toes and napping, but work superseded Sunday pleasures. Sometimes, I
caught him napping upright. On the topic of money honestly earned, his
authority was unquestionable, even by the harshest family critics.

I grew up. I began to work. I made money. It was satisfying. I never
lost the conviction that those who were impoverished, whatever the
reason, must be supported.

My line of work sometimes involves filling out disability and Social
Security Administration applications. The first time I received one, in
residency, I was so anxious to make the case for my patient that I
frontloaded the form with footnotes and flying arrows, little weapons
landing on more proof by example. I photocopied pages from the chart and
added my own pages because the space Massachusetts had provided me with
was physically insufficient to convey the details. I used many
adjectives; it was a beautiful piece of writing. The Social Security
examiner called to say he had never received such a thorough response.
It seemed like an excellent use of wordsmanship. The pen was stronger
than any government resistance.

Many applications have been filled out since then. Sometimes one or
another is rejected; then it becomes a personal project to rebut the
doubts, strengthen the case for need, and reapply. When it comes
through, the occasion can feel oddly jubilant, as if it were cause for
celebration. The patient is safe now, provided for. Another oversized,
green envelope with someone else's name is waiting in the mailbox.

A few months ago, an examiner left a message. He wanted more information
on a case. He assured me the application would go through -- the need
was clear, he was going to approve it -- but he just wanted further
details. I started to give them. After so many years, descriptions are
generally more professional and less impassioned.

The case is not unusual for these times; a man with serious substance
abuse, trying for sobriety (again), coping with anxiety and depression,
intermittently homeless. He is physically strong but has not worked for
years. He realizes what drugs and anxiety have done to him; his
motivation and dread are equally high. Funding would be a source of
stabilization while he recovered.

I looked at the form. I could see the questions in my sleep, the sleep
my stepfather walked through. Here was a man capable of some kind of
work when sober, yet I was making a case for his disability. He had no
psychosis. He was a lovely man in the throes of an injured life.

Preexisting anxiety and depression had probably led to the substance
abuse, which then worsened the psychiatric symptoms in the usual cycle.

A source of steady -- though by no means luxurious -- income would
provide security. A repayee would arrange its responsible use. It would
relieve us all. But wouldn't a job do that, too?

Why WASN'T he working? I could make the case to the state as usual --
but suddenly, less to myself. Was this the end of liberalism as I had
planned to live it and had argued about it, in the days of the oracle?
Money honestly earned buys self-respect. I was being paid to formalize
his dependence. I was working so he could remain unemployed. It
dignified him to reconsider.

We hate to prove our parents right.

Elissa Ely is a psychiatrist.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2006/02/26/youthful_convictions/