[Mb-civic] A Dubai Finesse - Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Feb 24 04:17:18 PST 2006

A Dubai Finesse

By Charles Krauthammer
Friday, February 24, 2006; A15

If only Churchill were alive today, none of this would be happening. The
proud imperialist would have taken care that the Peninsular and Oriental
Steam Navigation Co., chartered in 1840 by Victoria ("by the grace of
God . . . Queen defender of the faith" on "this thirty first day of
December in the fourth year of our reign"), would still be serving
afternoon tea and crumpets on some immaculate Jewel-in-the-Crown cricket
pitch in Ceylon.

The United Arab Emirates would still be a disunited bunch of subsistence
Arab tribes grateful for the protection of the British navy in the
Persian Gulf.

And we hapless Americans -- already desperately trying to mediate,
pacify and baby-sit the ruins of Churchill's Empire: Iraq, Palestine,
India/Pakistan, Yemen, even (Anglo-Egyptian) Sudan -- would not be in
the midst of a mini-firestorm over the sale of the venerable P&O, which
manages six American ports, to the UAE.

This has raised the obvious question of whether we want our ports,
through which a nuclear bomb could come, handled by a country two of
whose nationals flew into the South Tower on Sept. 11 and which has a
history of laundering money and nuclear secrets from bad guys to worse guys.

Congress is up in arms. The Democrats, in particular, are in full cry,
gleeful to at last get to the right of George Bush on an issue of
national security.

Gleeful, and shamelessly hypocritical. If a citizen of the UAE walked
into an airport in full burnoose and flowing robes, speaking only
Arabic, Democrats would be deeply offended, and might even sue, if the
security people were to give him any more scrutiny than they would to my
sweet 84-year-old mother.

Democrats loudly denounce any thought of racial profiling. But when that
same Arab, attired in business suit and MBA, and with a good record of
running ports in 15 countries, buys P&O, Democrats howl at the very idea
of allowing Arabs to run our ports. (Republicans are howling, too, but
they don't grandstand on the issue of racial profiling.)

On this, the Democrats are rank hypocrites. But even hypocrites can be
right. There is a problem. And the problem is not just the obvious one
that an Arab-run company, heavily staffed with Arab employees, is more
likely to be infiltrated by terrorists who might want to smuggle an
awful weapon into our ports. But that would probably require some
cooperation from the operating company. And neither the company nor the
government of the UAE, which has been pro-American and a reasonably good
ally in the war on terrorism, has any such record.

The greater and more immediate danger is that as soon as the Dubai
company takes over operations, it will necessarily become privy to
information about security provisions at crucial U.S. ports. That would
mean a transfer of information about our security operations -- and
perhaps even worse, about the holes in our security operations -- to a
company in an Arab state in which there might be employees who, for
reasons of corruption or ideology, would pass this invaluable knowledge
on to al-Qaeda types.

That is the danger, and it is a risk, probably an unnecessary one. It's
not quite the end of the world that Democratic and Republican critics
have portrayed it to be. After all, the UAE, which is run by a friendly
regime, manages ports in other countries without any such incidents.
Employees in other countries could leak or betray us just as easily. The
issue, however, is that they are statistically more likely to be found
in the UAE than, for example, in Britain.

It's a fairly close call. I can sympathize with the president's
stubbornness in sticking to the deal. He is responsible for our foreign
relations, and believes, not unreasonably, that it would harm our
broader national interest to reject and humiliate a moderate Middle
Eastern ally by pulling the contract just because a company is run by Arabs.

This contract should have been stopped at an earlier stage, but at this
point doing so would cause too much damage to our relations with
moderate Arab states. There are no very good options. The best exit
strategy is this: (1) Allow the contract to go through; (2) give it
heightened scrutiny by assigning a team of U.S. government agents to
work inside the company at least for the first few years to make sure
security is tight and information closely held; (3) have the team report
every six months to both the executive and a select congressional committee.

Not nearly as clean as the Harriet Miers exit. But as I said, there are
no very good options. There have not been very many since Britannia
stopped ruling the waves and it all fell to us.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/23/AR2006022301393.html?nav=hcmodule