[Mb-civic] climate crusader

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 20 22:06:29 PST 2006

The King and I
An interview with Sir David King, Britain's top scientist and
climate crusader
By Amanda Griscom Little
http://grist.org/news/maindish/2006/02/17/griscom-little/?source=daily>
British Prime Minister Tony Blair has earned a rep as a global leader in
the fight against climate change, and, at least in part, he has Sir David
King to thank for it.

 Sir David King.

King, the U.K. government's chief scientific adviser and an outspoken
advocate of aggressive action to forestall global warming, has pushed
the climate crisis up the PM's priority list. He was instrumental in
making the U.K. the first nation to commit to greenhouse-gas
reductions that go beyond Kyoto, and in positioning climate as one of
two top issues at last year's G8 summit, hosted by Blair.

King's headline-grabbing rhetoric has put climate change in the
spotlight, and King himself in the hot seat. He's become a target of the
American right and been publicly heckled by U.S. climate skeptics
during lectures. He has also raised the ire of some in the
environmental community for arguing that nuclear power, gasified coal,
and carbon sequestration are necessary weapons in the battle against
global warming.

 Your comment that climate change poses a bigger threat to humanity
than terrorism turned a lot of heads internationally. How did you come
to this conclusion?

 That sentence originated from an article I wrote in Science. I pointed
out that, for example, the 30,000 deaths in Europe from the hot
summer of 2003 -- which have been closely correlated to global
warming -- indicate the kind of security problems we are faced with.

Let me be clear: I in no way diminish the threat of terrorism to our
society and way of life, quite the reverse. It is a very serious threat. But
I don't think it is even comparable to the threat to our civilization that
global warming represents.

 How did you help bring climate change to the prime minister's
attention?

 I engineered an invitation to give a lecture on the current state of
climate-change science in 2002, the Zuckerman Lecture [PDF], that
went around to all the cabinet and many influential people in British
government. The most important turning point was the decision the
prime minister made very quickly after that -- he is, by the way, a very
decisive sort of person -- to look at the U.K.'s energy policy in light of
global-warming science. That led to further research and eventually a
white paper in 2003 that committed the government to reducing carbon
dioxide 60 percent by 2050. It was the first time a government had
come forward and said, "We are going to go beyond Kyoto."

 Was it intended as a challenge to other heads of state to follow suit?

 In part. We put ourselves on that path so as to provide Britain with a
strong position in negotiating with other countries. The prime minister
has followed this up with clear advice to his cabinet ministers to raise
the profile of climate change worldwide. I became his unofficial
ambassador on the matter, and in the past 18 months, I've delivered
over 140 lectures on climate science around the world at his behest.

 What was the 60 percent CO2 reduction figure based on?

 It was consistent with figures from the Intergovernmental Panel on
Climate Change. Without reductions of 60 percent by mid-century, I
believe the melting of the Greenland ice sheet would be irreversible,
and sea levels would rise by seven meters from that alone. Knowing
that the world's great cities are on coastlines and would therefore be
underwater, we felt that was something to be avoided.

 What would the global-warming impacts be on the U.K.?

 We did the most detailed analysis yet conducted of the impact of
climate change on any one country, examining the flood and coastal
defense risks for the U.K. over the next 80 years. It demonstrates that
if we globally continue burning fossil fuels at the current rate, by 2080 it
will be extremely difficult to protect British homes and cities from
coastal flooding, fluvial flooding, and flooding from rainfall in our cities.

 Are you already seeing impacts?

 Rainfall patterns are already changing across cities. Just in the last
decade, we've been seeing flash floods from tropical storms that bring
a lot more water to our cities than we've previously experienced. Our
drainage and sewage systems are not able to cope, so we get massive
flooding.

 Many of the politicians and oil-industry executives of the U.K., such as
Lord John Browne of BP, are seen as global leaders on the climate
issue. Why, would you say, are your leaders ahead of the game on this
matter?

 It's a nontrivial fact that the U.K. has always been very interested in
the weather. Remember that Britain developed its leadership position
through trade and war. In order to be one ahead of the opposition, you
need to predict weather better than they do. So our meteorological
office is placed within the military, which means it has always been
exceptionally well funded. That's why the Hadley Center, which is in
the Ministry of Defense, is a world leader on modeling climate change.
It is widely respected in the U.K., both by our leaders and our citizens.
A recent opinion poll revealed that about 90 percent of the British
public believes that global warming is a real threat.

 You've been heckled at your lectures by U.S. climate skeptics who
argue that climate science is "in its infancy" -- an opinion that has also
been voiced by members of the Bush administration.

 I've been chased around by several people funded by the Competitive
Enterprise Institute who make these kind of statements that simply fly
in the face of all the evidence. To say that climate science is in its
infancy is quite simply puerile. The greenhouse effect was established
by [Joseph] Fourier back in 1827. By 1896, [Svante] Arrhenius had
calculated that we would see global warming by five degrees
centigrade if the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere doubled. That's
pretty close to what current scientists are saying. So the state of
knowledge is 100 years old plus.

 What's your opinion of the Bush administration's approach to climate
change, in particular its argument that both Kyoto and domestic
regulations could pose a threat to the U.S. economy?

 What I'm not going to be able to do is criticize any other government. I
can say that in Britain our economy since 1990 has grown by about 40
percent, and our emissions have decreased by 14 percent. So to
argue that you destroy your economy by reducing emissions is
blatantly incorrect.

Furthermore, we feel we have a competitive advantage in getting into
the Kyoto CO2-trading program early; we believe it is an incredibly
important new commodity exercise that will spur crucial technology
development and soon begin to pay dividends for our country.

 You were quoted in a recent BBC article as saying that the U.K.'s
targets of reducing carbon dioxide emissions 20 percent below 1990
levels by 2010 are "a bit optimistic." Why?

 Meeting the 2010 target will be challenging, despite the significant
program of action under our 2003 white paper. The key problem is the
rapid decline in the contribution of nuclear power to the U.K.'s energy
mix that will be seen over the next decade as existing plants reach the
end of their lives. Ministers are currently considering what further steps
can be taken to get back on track, but it will be a tough call.

Spend Your $.02 Discuss this story in our blog, Gristmill.

 So do you worry that your mid-century targets are not achievable?

 I will not deny that significant further policy and technology innovation
will be needed over time for this to happen. I do think that we have the
framework right and will see emissions continue to decline significantly
to 2020 and beyond. The targets do not need to be adjusted; they are
achievable.

 To what extent will nuclear play a role in achieving these targets?

 Deploying a range of technologies to radically decarbonize our energy
systems over just a few decades is a challenge that should not be
underestimated. We need every tool in the bag to address it. Even
taking the most optimistic projections, dramatic investments in energy
efficiency and renewables will not be enough. I believe the government
is right to revisit now the question of new nuclear. The question of
nuclear waste is of course an important one. It is worth noting that the
next generation of nuclear plants would add only around 10 percent to
the U.K.'s nuclear waste pile over a 40-year period, given the greater
efficiency of more modern reactors.

 What about coal generation and carbon sequestration?

In The Same Vein Coal Reversal
Climate campaigners warm to "advanced coal" and sequestration,
despite Bush backing

 It also seems certain that fossil fuels -- coal and gas -- will continue to
contribute significantly to meeting U.K. and global energy needs for at
least the majority of this century. This is a political and practical reality
that it is important to acknowledge. Carbon capture and storage
technologies offer the possibility to address this.

 What have you personally and the British government in general done
to improve your energy efficiency?

 I drive around in a Toyota Prius. The government car service in
London is shifting over to hybrid-engine vehicles as fast as we can get
them. We are also deploying energy-efficiency measures on
government buildings and bolstering public transport systems.

The bigger point, however, is that there's a tremendous effort within
our government to get more people into science and technology. We
are doubling our funding in this area and now producing more science,
engineering, and technology graduates as a proportion of 22-year-olds
than almost any other country in the world.

 How much progress do you think was made at the recent Montreal
climate negotiations in the effort to forge a foundation for a post-Kyoto
international agreement?

 Excellent progress was made in Montreal on a number of important
fronts, including strengthening of the practical mechanisms for
reducing greenhouse-gas emissions under the Kyoto Protocol and the
agreement to launch a process for targets beyond 2012. Perhaps the
most encouraging aspect for me was the very constructive approach to
the discussions adopted by developing nations such as China and
India.

But it is of obvious importance that any future framework be inclusive,
bringing in the U.S. and involving fully key developing nations. There is
no question that the international community has a long way to go if it
is to minimize the risk of the most dangerous climate-change impacts
occurring.

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

"A war of aggression is the supreme international crime." -- Robert Jackson,
 former U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice and Nuremberg prosecutor