[Mb-civic] Lawmakers Deride Assurances on Arab Port Firm - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Mon Feb 20 05:00:52 PST 2006

Lawmakers Deride Assurances on Arab Port Firm

By Will Lester
Associated Press
Monday, February 20, 2006; A07

U.S. terms for approving an Arab company's takeover of operations at six
major American ports are insufficient to guard against terrorist
infiltration, the chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee said
yesterday.

"I'm aware of the conditions, and they relate entirely to how the
company carries out its procedures, but it doesn't go to who they hire,
or how they hire people," said Rep. Peter T. King (R-N.Y.).

"They're better than nothing, but to me they don't address the
underlying conditions, which is how are they going to guard against
things like infiltration by al Qaeda or someone else, how are they going
to guard against corruption?" King said.

King spoke in response to Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff's
comments yesterday about conditions of the sale. King said he learned
about the government's terms for approving the sale from meetings with
senior Bush administration officials.

Chertoff defended the security review of Dubai Ports World of the United
Arab Emirates, the company given permission to take over the port
operations. Chertoff said the government typically builds in "certain
conditions or requirements that the company has to agree to to make sure
we address the national security concerns." But Chertoff declined to
discuss specifics, saying that information is classified.

"We make sure there are assurances in place, in general, sufficient to
satisfy us that the deal is appropriate from a national security
standpoint," Chertoff said on ABC's "This Week."

London-based Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co. was bought
last week by DP World, a state-owned business. Peninsular and Oriental
runs major commercial operations in New York, New Jersey, Baltimore, New
Orleans, Miami and Philadelphia.

A Miami company, Continental Stevedoring & Terminals Inc., has sued in
Florida, challenging the deal. A subsidiary of Eller & Company Inc.,
Continental says it will become an "involuntary partner" with Dubai's
government under the sale.

Lawmakers from both parties are questioning the sale as a possible risk
to national security.

"It's unbelievably tone deaf politically at this point in our history,"
Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) said on "Fox News Sunday."

Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.), on CBS's "Face the Nation," said, "It is
ridiculous to say you're taking secret steps to make sure that it's okay
for a nation that had ties to 9/11, [to] take over part of our port
operations in many of our largest ports. This has to stop."

At least one Senate oversight hearing is planned for later this month.

Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.), who is working on legislation to prohibit
companies owned or controlled by foreign governments from running port
operations in the United States, said Chertoff's comments showed him
that the administration "just does not get it."

Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) joined some relatives of Sept. 11
victims at a news conference to urge President Bush to personally
intervene. The president "should override the agreement and conduct a
special investigation into the matter," Schumer said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/19/AR2006021900307.html