[Mb-civic] Satirizing Dick Cheney - Ellen Goodman - Boston Globe Op-Ed

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Fri Feb 17 07:39:00 PST 2006

Ms. Goodman says: "But many suggest that the furor over the cartoons was actually ratcheted up by Middle Eastern governments trying to turn the attention of their citizenry from their own ineptitude to the culture wars. In that case, the peppering of Dick Cheney is an international reminder to both sides that the real reason to protect free speech is to criticize the people who govern you. The real reason for satire is to make fun, with impunity, of your leaders." (Emphasis mine)

Maybe so.  But it is not their political leaders - the ones who "govern" them - that are being made fun of, it is their spiritual leader.

Certainly freedom of speech/press should include the right to make fun of George Bush, Dick Cheney et al.  They are the leaders who "govern us" (badly).  Yet despite the fact that most in the Bush Administration would call Jesus their "spiritual leader" (I might add, in almost all cases falsely...), we do not see cartoons or jokes demonizing Jesus.

To keep with Ms. Goodman's runaway metaphors, this is where she - and so many others - show that they can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Peace.