[Mb-civic] No End to the Phony Populism - E. J. Dionne - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Feb 17 06:25:41 PST 2006

No End to the Phony Populism

By E. J. Dionne Jr.
Friday, February 17, 2006; A19

Many people turn away from politics because so many of the players evade
difficult questions by attacking their critics and changing the subject.
Phony populism is the technique of choice, and it is much favored by the
current administration.

On the same day this week, Americans were offered two examples of the
politics of aggression and evasion. In both instances, politicians
sought to duck hard issues by inventing an elitist enemy. In both, they
ascribed to their adversaries views their critics don't hold, and never did.

Take, first, the case that received little attention. Campaigning at the
Ohio headquarters of the Wendy's fast-food chain for his proposal to
expand health savings accounts, President Bush dismissed critics who
contend that the accounts "are not a solution for the uninsured, they're
regressive, they favor the wealthy."

That was an accurate enough description of the opponents' criticisms,
but then came this zinger: "It's kind of basically saying, if you're not
making a lot of money you can't make decisions for yourself. That's kind
of a Washington attitude, isn't it -- we'll decide for you, you can't
figure it out yourself. I think a lot of folks here at Wendy's would
argue that point of view is just simply backwards and not true."

But opponents of Bush's plan are not "kind of basically saying" anything
of the sort. They want people "not making a lot of money" to have a
chance to buy affordable health insurance. They are arguing that HSAs,
as the accounts are known, would offer a lot of money to the most
well-off among our fellow citizens without increasing health coverage.
Indeed, there is good evidence, mustered this week by the liberal Center
on Budget and Policy Priorities, that HSAs would instead lead to a net
increase in the number of uninsured.

And, as Elisabeth Bumiller pointed out in the New York Times, a $5,000
contribution to an HSA would have saved a couple with two children and a
combined income of $40,000 just $630 on their 2005 federal income taxes.
(And that assumes the couple could have afforded to put away the whole
five grand, which is unlikely.) But a comparable couple with an income
of $120,000 would have saved $1,500.

In other words, HSAs give the smallest benefits to those least able to
afford health insurance. That is not exactly showing respect for those
who are "not making a lot of money." The elitism here lies with those
making the proposal, not with its critics.

The same phony populism was on display during Dick Cheney's more widely
noted interview the same day on Republican State Television -- excuse
me, Fox News -- in which the vice president tried to dismiss questions
as to why he waited so long to tell the world he had shot Harry Whittington.

Let's let others argue about Cheney's claim that he was waiting only so
he could put out an accurate story, and move directly to his efforts to
change the subject.

"I had a bit of the feeling that the press corps was upset because, to
some extent, it was about them -- they didn't like the idea that we
called the Corpus Christi Caller-Times instead of the New York Times,"
Cheney said. "But it strikes me that the Corpus Christi Caller-Times is
just as valid a news outlet as the New York Times is, especially for
covering a major story in south Texas."

Now there's populist jujitsu for you. Absolutely no one is saying that
Cheney should have leaked to the New York Times. The question is why he
didn't make the story public, early on, for everybody, at the same time.

Cheney wanted one of his "good friends," Republican loyalist Katharine
Armstrong, to tip off "reporters she knew" so she could put the story
in, well, perspective. Armstrong helpfully explained to the Texas paper
that getting shot is "a risk when any shooting sport is involved" and
that in this instance, "Everybody behaved exactly as you would want them
to."

By the way, the two Corpus Christi reporters who covered this, Kathryn
Garcia and Jaime Powell, were not diverted from one of the central
mysteries of the case: In their original story, they reported that the
tip to their paper came "18 hours after the incident occurred."

So thank goodness there are limits to spin, but up to now, there have
been no limits on the administration's willingness to divert attention
from its problems through attacks on elitist straw men. The flaws in
Bush's policy arguments will rarely make big news. But perhaps the
reaction to an unfortunate event in south Texas's wide open spaces will
help bring an end to phony populism by exposing it for what it is.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/16/AR2006021601554.html?nav=hcmodule