[Mb-civic] Privacy rights and public safety - David Cohen & Kathy Glick-Weil - Boston Globe Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Thu Feb 16 06:53:40 PST 2006

  Privacy rights and public safety

By David Cohen and Kathy Glick-Weil  |  February 16, 2006  |  The Boston
Globe

SOMETHING HAPPENED in Newton recently that should be reassuring to us
all. We found that we were able to protect public safety without having
to sacrifice the privacy of law-abiding Newton citizens.

We did this by requiring the FBI to follow the law and obtain a warrant
before accessing library computers believed to be used in e-mailing a
threat to Brandeis University.

By requiring a warrant, we ensured that the FBI received the information
it needed to pursue the perpetrator of a serious crime, while ensuring
that the information of the other law-abiding users of those same
computers was kept private. This is precisely how the American system of
justice is meant to work.

The events in Newton appear to have struck a chord with people,
considering all of the discussion it has generated. We have heard from
hundreds of people from across the country, many of them pleased with
our actions, some of them expressing outrage. We have been the subject
of several talk-radio programs, local and national television news
stories, newspaper articles, and opinion editorials. Again, some
praising us, some deriding us.

Let us say, in no uncertain terms, that our insistence on a warrant did
not put public safety at risk. If the federal authorities needed
immediate access to those computers to protect people's safety, the FBI
and US attorney's office would have cited their specific authority to
take them without a warrant, and we would have cooperated fully. At no
time did these agencies indicate that this was necessary.

It should also be noted that city officials, contrary to being
''uncooperative" with federal authorities as was sometimes reported,
worked with the FBI by preserving the crime scene and by making the
library's computer personnel and staff available to ensure that
authorities had instant access to the information they needed as soon as
the warrant was obtained.

We are at a precipitous time in our nation's history. The United States
has taken the leading role in the fight against terrorism, and in doing
so has heightened our national awareness of our potential vulnerabilities.

Since the devastating attack on the World Trade Center buildings, we
have reorganized the federal government and reallocated our resources.
We have changed how we travel, attend events, and in many ways how we
live our lives. We have made prudent and sensible changes to enhance our
safety and security. While the benefits of these changes are clear, we
must also be forthright about the costs these changes have brought to
bear as well.

There are those who believe that all security measures trump privacy
rights. There are just as many people who believe the loss of our right
to privacy at the hands of law enforcement is unconscionable. But what
we can all be hopeful about is that we do not have to sacrifice one to
preserve the other.

America has always been the land of the free, and our freedom has indeed
come with a cost. But we must never forget what Benjamin Franklin put so
eloquently: ''They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little

The question before us today is nothing less than this: Can we expect
law enforcement agencies to respect privacy rights while they fight the
war on terror? At a time when Congress is debating the president's power
to wiretap without judicial approval, the time to answer this question
is now. And if the incident in Newton is any indication, the answer is yes.

David Cohen is the mayor of Newton. Kathy Glick-Weil is director of the
Newton Free Library.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2006/02/16/privacy_rights_and_public_safety/