[Mb-civic] Endangered predator - The Boston Globe

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Wed Feb 15 02:49:46 PST 2006

  Endangered predator

By Derrick Z. Jackson, Globe Columnist  |  February 15, 2006

AUTHOR PETER Benchley, filmmaker Steven Spielberg, and composer John
Williams scared the planet so well in their 1975 movie ''Jaws" that
three decades later my underwater photos of harmless nurse sharks
inspire fear -- with not an incisor in sight. Nurse sharks, in fact,
have whiskery barbels that make them look more like a giant catfish than
a great white.

''How close were you?" I am commonly asked of the nurse sharks on my
office wall or when I show the slides to schoolchildren. When I say
''three feet," adults and children alike invariably roll their eyes and
jerk back their necks as if the shark lunged out of the photo or the
screen. Amazement about the grace of a turtle, the vibrancy of a
parrotfish, and the playfulness of a seal nipping at my fins suddenly
become accusations that I need a little man in a white jacket.

And that is before my closing slide for my younger son's classmates when
he was in elementary school. That one features a sandtiger shark in the
New England Aquarium tank. Never mind that sandtigers are also sluggish
and relatively docile. Its exposed, jagged teeth, thrusting forth from
rosy gums that could suggest a recent bloody feast, were always enough
to make the room explode ''Whoaaa!!!" This is then followed by calls for
men in white jackets.

I dutifully attempt to use the shock value of the teeth to get to the
irony that humans are chomping the sharks out of the sea. Benchley, who
died last weekend at the age of 65, came to understand that to the point
of becoming a global shark protectionist. He told the London Daily
Express in an interview published just nine days ago:

'' 'Jaws' was entirely a fiction. Knowing what I know now, I could never
write that book today." He added, ''Sharks don't target human beings,
and they certainly don't hold grudges. There's no such thing as a rogue
man-eater shark with a taste for human flesh. In fact, sharks rarely
take more than one bite out of people, because we're so lean and
unappetizing to them."

We have become the rogues with our appetite for sharks. Researchers for
the Pew Institute for Ocean Science's global shark assessment say that
in the Gulf of Mexico, whitetip, silky, and dusky sharks have declined
by 99 percent, 91 percent, and 79 percent, respectively, since the
1950s. In a 2004 study, Ransom Myers and Boris Worm of Dalhousie
University in Halifax, Nova Scotia, found that large predatory fish
communities have declined worldwide by 90 percent over the last 50 to
100 years. ''These declines are general and even higher for sensitive
species such as sharks," the study said.

Despite global bans on shark fins for soups that the affluent in Asia
pay $100 to $200 a bowl for, the global catch of sharks, rays, and
skates is between 800,000 and 900,000 tons a year. That is at least
three and possibly four times the catch of the 1950s, according to the
United Nations and the World Conservation Union. Well-known species such
as hammerhead, basking, blue, bull, and mako have been affected.

In some other places, like Bimini in the Bahamas, coastal resort
development that wipes out mangrove nurseries and dredges the ocean
floor bare is threatening the lemon shark. The Florida Museum of Natural
History's website is full of extinction threats from around the world.
In the Philippines, a rare megamouth shark was accidentally caught by
fishermen. Researchers in South Africa predict coastal shark extinctions
within a decade because of beach nets meant to protect swimmers.

In Australia, the gray nurse shark is on the verge of extinction and the
average size of whale sharks spotted off the coast has shrunk from 21
feet long to 15 feet long. Whale sharks are the biggest fish on Earth.
They can grow up to 60 feet long over lives than can span 150 years. But
they do not reach sexual maturity until 2 and 3 decades old.

This is no fiction. From poaching to overfishing to resorts, the decline
of the shark is becoming a symbol of the human feeding frenzy.
Unfortunately, protecting the oceans is not yet a strong suit of the
United States. In President Bush's budget for 2007, the National Oceans
Service, the National Fisheries Service, and the Oceanic and Atmospheric
Research service were all cut.

Peter Benchley died saying ''Jaws" was only a film. Because of our jaws,
sharks are headed to the day when the only place we will see them is in
the movies.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2006/02/15/endangered_predator/