[Mb-civic] CBC News - HARPER 'REGRETS' PUBLICATION OF MUSLIM CARICATURES; GROUP WARNS OF DANGER TO TROOPS

CBC News Online nwonline at toronto.cbc.ca
Tue Feb 14 16:40:52 PST 2006

This email has been sent to you by harry.sifton at sympatico.ca
The following is a news item posted on CBC NEWS ONLINE
at http://www.cbc.ca/news
HARPER 'REGRETS' PUBLICATION OF MUSLIM CARICATURES; GROUP WARNS OF DANGER TO TROOPS
WebPosted Tue Feb 14 14:59:34 2006

---On the same day a Canadian Islamic group warned that reprinting
cartoons of Muhammad could endanger Canadian troops overseas, Prime
Minister Stephen Harper said he regretted their publication.

"Free speech is a right that all Canadians enjoy; Canadians also have the
right to voice their opinion on the free speech of others," Harper said
in a statement, his first comments on the controversy.

"I regret the publication of this material in several media outlets.
While we understand this issue is divisive, our government wishes that
people be respectful of the beliefs of others. I commend the Canadian
Muslim community for voicing its opinion peacefully, respectfully and
democratically."

Harper's comments come as the Canadian Council on American-Islamic
Relations held a news conference in Ottawa a day after the Western
Standard magazine reprinted some of the cartoons. At least three other
Canadian publications had already printed one or more of the cartoons.

 FROM FEB. 13, 2006: Western Canadian magazine publishes Muhammad
 cartoons

"I think the fact that people choose to reprint the cartoons could put
our troops in danger," said council spokesperson Riad Saloojee.

"That's, I think, one of the reasons why major [Canadian] media outlets
have been responsible and chosen not to do that."

 VIEWPOINT: Cartoons and religion: Why CBC News drew the line

More than 1,500 Canadians are serving in Afghanistan, a number that will
grow to more than 2,200 within weeks. Eight Canadians have been killed
while serving in the war-torn country in the past four years.

The publication of Danish cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad set off
violent protests and riots in some Middle Eastern countries as some
Muslims consider any image of the Prophet blasphemous. As many as 10
people were killed in Afghanistan during violence related to the
caricatures.

The council on Tuesday launched an educational campaign on the life of
Muhammad and Islam, called "Explore the Life of Muhammad."

Council members are calling on mosques around the country to hold open
houses for non-Muslims.

Copyright (C) 2006 CBC. All rights reserved.