[Mb-civic] Bridging the Divide on Abortion - E. J. Dionne - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Feb 14 04:04:04 PST 2006

Bridging the Divide on Abortion

By E. J. Dionne Jr.
Tuesday, February 14, 2006; A15

NEW YORK -- For many staunch supporters and opponents of abortion
rights, the search for a third way on the issue seems like so much phony
political positioning.

But the truth is that politicians are already engaging in strained
positioning on abortion. They know there is a large ambivalent middle
ground of public opinion that is uneasy with abortion itself and also
uneasy with a government ban on the procedure. So they fudge.

No one has been more masterful at holding his pro-life base and
appealing to the middle than President Bush. He speaks regularly of his
support for a "culture of life" but never says he would overturn Roe v.
Wade. In Congress, supporters of abortion rights in both parties will
signal their moderation by opposing partial-birth abortion or favoring
parental notification laws for minors seeking abortions. Whatever their
merits, such laws do little to cut the abortion rate.

But there is a new argument on abortion that may establish a more
authentic middle ground. It would use government not to outlaw abortion
altogether but to reduce its likelihood. And at least one politician,
Thomas R. Suozzi, the county executive of New York's Nassau County, has
shown that the position involves more than soothing rhetoric.

Last May Suozzi, a Democrat, gave an important speech calling on both
sides to create "a better world where there are fewer unplanned
pregnancies, and where women who face unplanned pregnancies receive
greater support and where men take more responsibility for their actions."

Last week Suozzi put money behind his words. He announced nearly $1
million in county government grants to groups ranging from Planned
Parenthood to Catholic Charities for an array of programs -- adoption
and housing, sex education, and abstinence promotion -- to reduce
unwanted pregnancies and to help pregnant women who want to bring their
children into the world. Suozzi calls his initiative "Common Sense for
the Common Good" and, as Newsday reported, he was joined at his news
conference by people at both ends of the abortion debate.

This is a matter on which no good deed goes unpunished, and Suozzi was
immediately denounced by Kelli Conlin, executive director of NARAL
Pro-Choice New York, for the grants that went to abstinence-only
programs, which, she insisted, do not work.

As the National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy has argued for years,
the best approach to the problem involves neither abstinence-only nor
contraception-only programs but a combination of the two. But the merits
of the issue aside, it's unfortunate that Suozzi's initiative is caught
in the cross fire of this year's campaign for governor of New York.
Suozzi is expected to challenge state Attorney General Eliot Spitzer,
the front-runner for the Democratic nomination. NARAL strongly supports
Spitzer, who opposes the ban on partial-birth abortion that Suozzi --
otherwise an abortion rights supporter -- favors.

Still, it's a good sign for the long run that in an interview on Monday,
Conlin was careful to praise most of Suozzi's grants program -- "the
vast majority of it we are totally in agreement with" -- adding that
"prevention is the key."

Nancy Keenan, the president of the national NARAL group, is also
stressing prevention. Her organization ran an advertisement last year
explicitly inviting the "right-to-life movement" to join in an effort to
"help us prevent abortions." Usually NARAL's allies refer to abortion
opponents as "anti-choice," so the conciliatory language itself was a
welcome departure. At the federal level, NARAL is pushing for a bill
promoting contraception introduced by Senate Democratic leader Harry
Reid, an opponent of abortion.

Right about this point, I can see my friends in the right-to-life
movement rolling their eyes and insisting that all this prevention talk
is a dodge. Maybe so, but my question to them is whether they honestly
think that their current political strategy, focused on knocking down
Roe and making abortion illegal, will actually protect fetal life by
substantially reducing the number of abortions.

Even if Roe falls, legislatures in the most populous states are likely
to keep abortion legal. And if a ban on abortion were ever to take hold,
does anyone doubt that a large, illegal abortion industry would quickly
come into being?

I have more sympathy than most liberals with the right-to-life movement
because I believe most right-to-lifers are animated not by sexism or
some punitive attitude toward sexuality but by a genuine desire to
defend the defenseless. Surely that view should encompass efforts to
reduce the number of abortions in our nation. That's why I hope Tom
Suozzi finds imitators, and allies on both sides of the question.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/13/AR2006021301570.html?nav=hcmodule