[Mb-civic] EXCELLENT, WORTH A LOOK: Jim Frey and my son - Jim Bildner - Boston Globe

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sun Feb 12 07:32:35 PST 2006

  Jim Frey and my son

By Jim Bildner  |  February 12, 2006  |  The Boston Globe

WHAT BOTH author Jim Frey and Oprah Winfrey have missed is that the real
damage Frey has done in fabricating large parts of his book, ''A Million
Little Pieces," has nothing to do with literature and being honest with
one's readers. It's much worse than that.

By marginalizing the truth, Frey has marginalized the depth of the
problem of substance abuse and addiction in our country. While many
readers still see the book as a powerful look into one addict's life,
too many others see themselves as being conned, once again, by an addict.

What Frey still doesn't understand is that you don't need to embellish
the truth when it comes to addiction. The reality of the world of drugs
is horrible enough, as are the wave of destruction and collateral damage
it creates for the families caught in its vices. I know firsthand the
truth of this experience because I lived it as my son battled his own
substance abuse for the last three years of his life. He died three
weeks before Christmas, at 21.

In justifying why he lied, Frey said in recent interviews that he needed
to make things up because he wanted the stories in the book ''to ebb and
flow, to have dramatic arcs, to have the tension that all great stories
require." But those of us who have experienced the truth of addiction
know that is just another lie. There is already plenty of drama and
tension in addiction. I watched my son's life ''ebb and flow" for three
years before my eyes. And while Frey, his editor, and his publisher
continue to engage in finger-pointing, they would all be well advised to
consider who the real victims are in this. I know one of them. She's my
daughter.

At her brother's memorial service, she stood in front of a church full
of friends, neighbors, and family and summoned the courage to speak on
her brother's behalf now that his voice was silenced. Choking back
tears, she read a passage from Frey's ''memoir" hoping the truth of his
words would help those of us assembled to understand what so many of us
don't -- that our son, like millions of Americans, fought every day of
his life to make it through to the next day. That the struggle to stay
sober is a battle without an end that is waged every minute in a
recovering addict's life. When my daughter finished reading from ''A
Million Little Pieces" she proclaimed her love for her brother, and
warned us what too few realize -- that drugs are everywhere and
addiction affects everyone, in one way or another. And she's right.

National recidivism rates are in the high 80s and climbing as street
drugs have become purer and first-time users are being exposed at
younger ages. It's a lethal combination that's not easy to stop or
comfortable for most of us to talk about. That's why we're losing this war.

Well it's time to talk about it. And believe me, the subject matter
needs no embellishing. We need to find ways to keep these drugs from
getting into our communities and our schools. And until real change
takes hold, we need to let every child and parent know that what
happened to my son can happen to theirs -- it's that simple. If you're
looking for a silver bullet, look in the mirror --right now, a parent is
the only defense a child has from the horrors of drugs and addiction.

Our son's struggle and the struggle that others go through each day to
stay sober and alive are pure truth. The day after his memorial service,
I went to clean out his apartment. In one of his dresser drawers in his
bedroom, I found a diary that he kept. One sentence after another
recount the truth of his experience and the constant battle between his
mind and body wanting to use and his fight to recover and be sober.

The truth of our son's diary is absolute. He didn't write it to make a
good story or to sell more books. He wrote it to stay alive.

Frey's con doesn't just hurt himself or his publisher. It hurts all
those who are trying desperately to survive and all of us who care for
them by allowing so many to discount the truth that was in the book.

That's the real tragedy of this story.

Jim Bildner is chairman of The Literary Ventures Fund.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2006/02/12/jim_frey_and_my_son/