[Mb-civic] Steele Apologizes for Holocaust Remarks - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Feb 11 05:52:10 PST 2006

Steele Apologizes for Holocaust Remarks
Compared Stem Cell Research to Nazi Medical Experiments

By Robert Barnes and Matthew Mosk
Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, February 11, 2006; B01

Maryland Lt. Gov. Michael S. Steele profusely apologized yesterday for
comments linking stem cell research to Nazi experimentation, but the
offhand analogy could undermine what had been a concerted effort by the
Republican to run for the U.S. Senate as a moderate "bridge" between
Democrats and Republicans in his left-leaning state.

Steele issued apologies in a radio interview and in phone conversations
with Jewish leaders in Baltimore and Washington, and then continued to
express regret throughout a series of stops in Prince George's County.

"I offended members of the Jewish community and members of the Maryland
community," Steele said outside a Prince George's nursing home. "It was
a remark that was an improper inference, because I never specifically
said Holocaust. . . . And it did not reflect my attitude and my belief,
and I am really sorry about the whole thing."

Besides offending those Steele was trying to befriend, some politicians
and political observers said his remarks appeared to hurt him in several
ways: putting him on the wrong side of a popular issue, reinforcing a
worry among even some Republicans that he can be an accident-prone
candidate in a high-profile race, and signaling to swing voters that he
is more conservative than the almost-nonpartisan image he has cultivated.

"Some people could think he's not moderate . . . but a hard-right
Republican," said University of Maryland Prof. Ronald Walters, who has
been closely following Steele's campaign.

Keith Haller, who conducts polls for Maryland media and others, said his
recent surveys show that Steele has "risen above the cacophony of
partisan battles" in the state. "His popularity has been steadily
soaring, so he certainly didn't need to engage on this issue, in such an
awkward way."

In an appearance Thursday before the Baltimore Jewish Council, Steele
responded to a question about stem cell research by saying he was
"cautious" about the idea of "tinkering around with life," and added:

"Look, you of all folks know what happens when people decide they want
to experiment on human beings, when they want to take your life and use
it as a tool," Steele said, according to a recording of the event. "I
know that as well from my community and our experience with slavery."

Jewish leaders, for the most part, accepted Steele's apology. Ron
Halber, executive director of the Jewish Community Relations Council of
Greater Washington, said he considered it an exercise of bad judgment by
a good man.

"He understands his remarks were offensive," Halber said. "People in the
Jewish community are upset about them. What was behind the words were
not the feelings of a hatemonger, though."

His Democratic opponents were glad Steele apologized but sharp in their
criticism.

"Michael Steele does not have the right to compare the lifesaving
potential of stem cell research to the barbarity of the Holocaust," said
Rep. Benjamin L. Cardin, one of several Democrats running to replace
retiring Sen. Paul S. Sarbanes (D). "His remarks were offensive to the
millions of Americans who stand to benefit [from] this research, as well
as to Holocaust survivors and their families."

State Sen. Sharon M. Grosfeld (D-Montgomery), the daughter of a
Holocaust survivor, said she was "shocked by the ignorance of the
statement." Another Senate candidate, former congressman and former
NAACP president Kweisi Mfume, said he also was offended by Steele's
comments about slavery. "Any further comparison to equate slavery to
stem cell research is a reach that I and others who are the descendants
of slaves don't understand," he said.

Republican Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr., who has recommended $20 million
in state money for stem cell research but wants to let an outside panel
decide which kind of cell research should be funded, tried to deflect
criticism from his former running mate.

"I think after an adult, straight-up person makes a comment and then
apologizes for the comment, unless you want to make a political deal out
of it, or you want to cause some sort of political damage because you
dislike his candidacy, what else can the guy do?" Ehrlich told the
Associated Press.

Steele's Senate candidacy has been greatly aided by national Republican
leaders, who recruited him to run believing he is the party's best hope.
But Steele has studiously avoided following a GOP script in a state
where President Bush is a help only in fundraising.

The stem cell issue is one in which Marylanders differ greatly from Bush
and other prominent Republicans. Haller said that in his latest poll for
the Baltimore Sun, 60 percent of the voters supported embryonic stem
cell research; the state's increasingly important independent voters
favored it 3 to 1, and even a plurality of Republicans are in favor.

Steele has cited his strong Catholic faith -- he spent several years as
a seminarian -- in explaining his opposition to abortion and the death
penalty, even though he said yesterday he does not let his religion
enter into "policy discussions."

"It is a force in my life. I tried to share a little bit of that because
most politicians get up and give you the pat, 30-second sound bite,"
Steele said. "I will continue to do that, but unfortunately in that
process, there was an inference that was not right."

Steele was elected Maryland's first statewide African American
officeholder as Ehrlich's running mate and has not campaigned on his own
for such a high-profile job. He has regretted off-the-cuff remarks before.

Last summer, when news reports broke that Ehrlich had held a fundraiser
at an all-white country club, Steele said he didn't care because "I
don't play golf. It's not an issue with me." A couple of weeks later, he
changed his mind and said, "The core issue there is, the perception of
discrimination is just as insidious as the reality of discrimination."
He said his first answer was "flippant."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/09/AR2006020902540.html