[Mb-civic] Lessons Taught by Grammy - Eugene Robinson - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Feb 10 03:59:38 PST 2006

Lessons Taught by Grammy

By Eugene Robinson
Friday, February 10, 2006; A19

Was his insolent claim that "George Bush doesn't care about black
people" the reason Kanye West didn't win the prestigious album of the
year and record of the year awards he deserved at the Grammys the other
night? That's just part of the story, I think, and we'll get back to it
after we first survey the Big Picture.

I've always thought the Grammy Awards offered a better, more finely
detailed portrait of the American zeitgeist than either the Oscars or
the Emmys. The sheer profusion of recorded music that comes out in any
given year -- thousands upon thousands of CDs and EPs and singles and
downloads and ring tones -- gives the analyst far more data points to
plot than the relative paucity of movies or television shows ever could.

So what did we discover Wednesday night? For one thing, we learned that
"American Idol" rules the known world. "Idol" beat the Grammys head to
head in the ratings, which means that viewers chose to watch fumbling
amateurs over such legends as Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen and Sly
Stone (who, by the way, looked as if he'd been exhumed for the evening).
The first "Idol" winner, Kelly Clarkson, is now a Grammy winner as well.
She got to perform, as did fellow "Idol" winner Fantasia Barrino. "Idol"
judge Randy Jackson thumped away on bass during a tribute to the
cadaverous Sly.

What this "American Idol" hegemony says about America -- whether it
speaks of our great national optimism or heralds the final collapse of
civilization -- depends on whether or not you've sipped the Kool-Aid.

We also learned that our society gives nothing away to China in
venerating esteemed elders, with perhaps a few exceptions. When Madonna
came out to open the show, my 15-year-old son turned and asked, "Who's
that lady?" -- a sad, inadvertent echo of her 1987 movie, "Who's That Girl?"

But McCartney outrocked rockers young enough to be his grandchildren
with a rowdy version of "Helter Skelter," and Springsteen's solo
performance of the antiwar ballad "Devils & Dust" was riveting. "Bring
'em home," he said at the end, turning a generic statement about war
into a specific one about Iraq.

Now back to Kanye West, the hyper-talented rapper and producer whose
album "Late Registration" was nominated for eight Grammys and praised by
most music critics as far and away the best of the year. West ended up
taking home three Grammys, but not the coveted album of the year award.
The same thing happened last year with West's acclaimed debut album,
"The College Dropout."

You will recall that last year, during a Hurricane Katrina telethon,
West departed from the script and blurted out his now-famous line about
Bush and black people. Even after seeing those images of poor, black
survivors in New Orleans, it was startling to hear West say publicly
what many others were thinking. Still, I don't think that was the only
reason his album got snubbed.

When it's time to hand out Grammys, the Recording Academy, in its role
as spokesman for the American subconscious, has always been reluctant to
fully embrace hip-hop music and culture. As far as the subgenre of
gangsta rap is concerned, that hesitance is understandable. The record
industry is happy to sell the stuff by the truckload, but does anyone
really want to give an official seal of approval to music that
celebrates nihilistic violence? The current master of the form, 50 Cent,
was nominated for three Grammys and got shut out. That whole scene is
just a little too scary.

But West's vibe is preppie, not gangsta. His music is as cerebral as it
is visceral, and the dangers it flirts with are intellectual and
political. One song on "Late Registration" is about the trade in
so-called conflict diamonds, which has fueled wars in developing
countries such as Sierra Leone. Another song, called "Crack Music,"
basically says that whites invented crack cocaine and watched as the
drug devastated black communities, but now blacks are turning the tables
by selling gangsta music to rap-dependent white consumers.

"This dark diction has become America's addiction," the song goes.
"Those who ain't even black use it. We gon' keep baggin' up this here
crack music."

West is cocky to the point of arrogance. At the Grammys, in his one
televised trip to the podium for best rap album, he said the award was a
surprise -- then ostentatiously unfolded a prepared speech with "THANK
YOU LIST" printed on the back in letters big enough for everyone to read.

So you can understand the Recording Academy's skittishness. A young
black man who's smart, talented, political and uppity, too? Now that's
really scary.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/09/AR2006020901436.html