[Mb-civic] The cruelest cuts - Derrick Z. Jackson - Boston Globe Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Wed Feb 8 03:56:29 PST 2006

  The cruelest cuts

By Derrick Z. Jackson  |  February 8, 2006  |  The Boston Globe

PRESIDENT BUSH said in his State of the Union address, ''we strive to be
a compassionate, decent, hopeful society."

The next day, he and his fellow Republicans ambushed the poor.

The majority-Republican House last week narrowly passed $39 billion in
budget cuts for Medicaid, Medicare, student loans, and child support.
The Republican-majority Senate had already passed the cuts. Roy Blunt of
Missouri, the former acting Republican House majority leader, declared,
''Once again, House Republicans are on record as defending budget
discipline. We have achieved $39 billion in savings, while streamlining
government."

It was a cutthroat lie. Everyone knows the cuts are meant to fund $70
billion in tax breaks for the rich. Bush repeated in the State of the
Union that he wants to make the tax cuts permanent. As the government
streamlines and disciplines the poor, hope springs eternal for
entitlements for the rich.

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office estimated last week that the
cuts in Medicaid would result in 13 million people paying higher prices
for prescription drugs by 2010 and 20 million people by 2015. It
estimated that federal cuts would force states to impose cost-sharing
requirements for at least one nonprescription health service or raise
them for 13 million people by 2015.

The CBO predicts that cuts at the federal level would force already
strapped states to impose premiums on 900,000 Medicaid enrollees by 2010
and 1.3 million by 2015. Similarly, 900,000 enrollees would see their
benefits cut to take care of their teeth, eyes, and mental health.

The CBO estimates that higher healthcare premiums will result in 45,000
enrollees -- more than can fit into Fenway Park -- losing coverage by
2010. By 2015, the number would be 65,000 by 2015, equivalent to the
number of privileged people who just packed Detroit's Ford Field for the
Super Bowl.

The particularly vicious nature of the Medicaid cuts comes in three
particular sentences in the CBO's report. On prescription drugs, it
said, ''About one-third of those affected would be children and almost
half would be individuals with income below the poverty level." On
cost-sharing for nonprescription services, it said, ''half of those
enrollees would be children."

On the people who would be driven out of coverage altogether, the report
said, ''About 60 percent of those losing coverage would be children."

The cuts are a prescription for making the exploding crisis on
healthcare much worse. When Bush ran for president in 2000, the nation's
uninsured numbered 39.8 million. It rose to 45.8 million in 2004. Todd
Gilmer and Richard Kronick, medical researchers at the University of
California at San Diego, projected the number to increase to 56 million
by 2013.

In June 2003, when the official number of uninsured was 41 million, the
National Academy of Sciences' Institute of Medicine published a major
report that estimated that ''the diminished health and shorter life
spans of Americans" who lack health insurance have cost the nation
between $65 billion and $130 billion a year. The study estimated that
the human toll of uninsurance amounts to 8 million people with chronic
illnesses not getting full services and 18,000 people dying prematurely.

The nation is already at a state where, according to the Centers for
Disease Control, uninsured children are 10 times more likely not to have
a usual source of healthcare and three times more likely not to have
seen a doctor of any kind in a calendar year. Of course, uninsured
children are more likely than insured children to get their care in more
expensive emergency rooms. This is hardly what we need in a nation where
child obesity and diabetes are out of control.

No matter how much Congress tries to make the poor disappear, it still
comes back to hit us even more profoundly in our wallets. The Institute
of Medicine study noted that 600,000 to 700,000 people with severe
mental illness are jailed each year, a ridiculously more expensive
option than healthcare itself. A study by the health advocacy group
Families USA found that unreimbursed care for the uninsured ultimately
finds its way into our private premiums, to the average tune of $922 for
families and $341 for individuals. By 2010, care for the uninsured could
add an average of $1,502 and $532, respectively, to family and
individual premiums.

Bush said that we strive for a compassionate society. But the Institute
of Medicine report concluded, ''we cannot excuse the unfairness and
insufficient compassion with which our society deploys its considerable
healthcare resources and expertise." The rich get compassion and tax
cuts. The poor get no compassion. They just get cut.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2006/02/08/the_cruelest_cuts/