[Mb-civic] In Quizzing a Reticent Gonzales, Senators Encounter a Power Shortage - Dana Milbank - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Feb 7 03:55:19 PST 2006

In Quizzing a Reticent Gonzales, Senators Encounter a Power Shortage

By Dana Milbank
Tuesday, February 7, 2006; A02

In an entire day of testimony about the Bush administration's secret
wiretapping program, Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales recognized the
supremacy of congressional authority in precisely one instance: the
power to declare a recess.

"Attorney General Gonzales, would you like a break?" Judiciary Committee
Chairman Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) inquired after 90 minutes of back-and-forth.

"If you're offering a break, Mr. Chairman," the attorney general replied.

"Well, I'm not going to offer you one unless you want one," the chairman
insisted.

Gonzales would have none of it. "I will defer to you, Mr. Chairman," he
said, before finally accepting a brief recess.

Otherwise, Gonzales offered the legislative branch little deference
yesterday, and certainly no apology for the administration's decision
not to seek congressional approval for its surveillance program. "The
short answer is that we didn't think we needed to, quite frankly," he
declared in a typical exchange.

When did the administration decide it had the authority? "I'm not going
to give an exact date," he said.

What does the administration do with the information it collects? "I
can't talk about specifics."

Is the information used to obtain search warrants? "I am uncomfortable
talking in great detail."

More interesting than what the attorney general said was what he would
not say. Has President Bush, invoking his "inherent powers" under the
Constitution, also authorized warrantless eavesdropping on domestic
calls, opening of Americans' mail and e-mail, and searches of their
homes and offices?

"I am not comfortable going down the road of saying yes or no as to what
the president has or has not authorized," Gonzales, shifting frequently
in his chair, informed the senators.

Just 13 months ago, at his confirmation hearing, Gonzales vowed that he
would "no longer represent only the White House," instead representing
"the United States of America and its people." Yesterday, however, he
relapsed, referring to Bush at one point as "the client."

Fortunately for Gonzales, the committee members did not seem to be in
any position to impose restrictions on the executive branch. They
couldn't even agree on whether to administer an oath.

"He said he would be willing to be sworn," Specter reported to his
colleagues, but "I think it is unwarranted."

"But Mr. Chairman, may I ask, if the witness has no objection to being
sworn, why not just do it?" Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (D-Vt.) persisted.

Specter grew irritated. "The reason I'm not going to swear him in is not
up to him. Attorney General Gonzales is not the chairman. I am."

"I appeal the ruling of the chair," Sen. Russell Feingold (D-Wis.)
blurted out.

Specter held a voice vote. Feingold demanded a roll-call vote. Specter
complied. Feingold demanded to see the proxies.

"This," Specter observed, "is really not a very good way to begin this
hearing."

The attorney general entered the hearing room flanked by bodyguards and
trailed by a phalanx of lawyers carrying thick briefing books. Gonzales,
in an opening statement that mentioned "enemy" 10 times and "al Qaeda"
20 times, suggested that those who questioned the legality of the
program were aiding the terrorists.

"Our enemy is listening, and I cannot help but wonder if they aren't
shaking their heads in amazement at the thought that anyone would
imperil such a sensitive program," he said. "How can anyone conclude
that it is not necessary and appropriate to intercept al Qaeda phone calls?"

Nobody had concluded that, except perhaps for the demonstrator who
shouted "You're a fascist!" at Gonzales. Democrats, worried about being
branded terrorist-huggers, merely complained that they hadn't been
consulted. "We make the laws," Leahy pleaded. "If you believe you need
new laws, then come and tell us." Gonzales nodded, his lips pinched tightly.

A trio of Republicans on the committee vied to serve as Gonzales's chief
defender. Sen. Orrin G. Hatch (Utah) used his questioning time to attack
those "people who are wildly saying that the president is violating the
law." Sens. Jeff Sessions (Ala.) and John Cornyn (Tex.) joined the
sister of a Sept. 11 victim at a news conference outside the hearing room.

But other Republicans were skeptical. "In all honesty, Mr. Attorney
General," Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (S.C.) advised, the "argument that
you're making is very dangerous." He warned that, eventually, "there is
no check and balance."

As the hearing stretched late into the afternoon, the witness grew
testier. When Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) asked him about domestic
surveillance, Gonzales cut him down with "I'm not going to respond to
that" and "I'm not going to answer." At another point, Gonzales cited
the secret program in his boast that "it's not simply a coincidence that
the United States of America has not been hit again."

After yet another rebuffed question, Leahy replied to Gonzales with a
tone of mock sympathy: "Of course. I'm sorry, Mr. Attorney General, I
forgot: You can't answer any questions that might be relevant."

It was about time for Congress to exercise its constitutional authority
to call another recess.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/06/AR2006020601426.html?nav=hcmodule