[Mb-civic] Tension Rises Over Cartoons of Muhammad - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sun Feb 5 06:30:27 PST 2006

Tension Rises Over Cartoons of Muhammad
Publication Widens In Europe as Protests Grow in Islamic World

By Molly Moore and Faiza Saleh Ambah
Washington Post Foreign Service
Friday, February 3, 2006; A01

PARIS, Feb. 2 -- Protests against European newspapers' publication of
cartoons lampooning the prophet Muhammad gained momentum across the
Islamic world Thursday as Pakistani schoolchildren burned French and
Danish flags and Muslim presidents denounced the drawings. At the same
time, more European news organizations printed or broadcast the
caricatures, citing a need to defend freedom of expression.

In another day of confrontation between the largely secular nations of
Europe and Muslim countries where religion remains a strong force in
daily life, Islamic activists threatened more widespread protests and
boycotts of European businesses. While some European officials sought to
defuse the crisis, many journalists insisted that despite Islamic
outrage, religious sensibilities should not result in censorship.

"We would have done exactly the same thing if it had been a pope, rabbi
or priest caricature," wrote Editor in Chief Serge Faubert in Thursday's
editions of France Soir, one of the newspapers that printed the cartoons.

Mahmoud A. Hashem, a businessman in Saudi Arabia reflecting broad
sentiment in Muslim societies, called the cartoons just another example
of a "sport to insult Islam and Muslims" after the attacks of Sept. 11,
2001.

Under Islamic teachings, any depiction of Muhammad, the faith's founder
and messenger of God, is blasphemy, including depictions that are not
negative. The cartoons violated that dictum, and many of them also
ridiculed the prophet. In one, he is depicted as a terrorist, with his
turban holding a bomb with a burning fuse.

Political analysts from both sides described the newspapers' printing of
the cartoons as a dangerous incitement in a conflict that has already
alienated the growing Muslim populations of West European nations and
hardened extremists in both camps.

Alexandre Adler, author of "Rendez-vous With Islam," criticized the
newspapers. "We're at war," he said, citing the Iraq insurgency and the
electoral victories of the radical Palestinian group Hamas and Iranian
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. "And sometimes war demands censorship. In
this context, anything that might strengthen the hate of the West is
irresponsible."

The European Union's trade commissioner, Peter Mandelson, said the
continued printing of the cartoons was "throwing petrol onto the
flames." Acknowledging the desire to stand up for press freedom, he said
newspapers must understand "the offense that is caused by publishing
cartoons of this nature."

But more news organizations continued to display the cartoons Thursday,
including the BBC, which said it hoped to "give audiences an
understanding of the strong feelings evoked by the story."

In the West Bank city of Nablus, Palestinian gunmen kidnapped a German
citizen from a hotel restaurant and threatened to seize more foreigners.
The German was later released, Palestinian security officials said.

Many Europeans left the Gaza Strip as a precaution Thursday. The E.U.
shuttered its office there after warnings that staff members would be
kidnapped. About a dozen gunmen briefly surrounded the empty building,
firing their weapons. Some European countries warned citizens against
travel in the Middle East.

In the city of Multan in central Pakistan, several hundred students from
Islamic schools burned French and Danish flags in protest. Boycotts of
Danish grocery products expanded across the Middle East

Presidents Hosni Mubarak of Egypt and Ahmadinejad of Iran issued
statements of condemnation, as did King Abdullah of Jordan. In a speech
in Washington, the monarch said that while "we respect and revere
freedom of speech, we condemn needless desecration and injury of Islamic
sensibilities, such as the recent cartoons misrepresenting and vilifying
my ancestor, the prophet."

Newspapers throughout the Muslim world condemned their European
counterparts. Bahrain's Gulf Daily News ran a one-word headline on its
front page that summarized sentiment in the region: "Apologize!"

The Egyptian publisher of France Soir, which printed the controversial
caricatures Wednesday, fired the paper's managing editor, Jacques
LeFranc, late Wednesday night, saying, "We present our regrets to the
Muslim community and to all people who have been shocked or made
indignant by this publication."

But the dismissed editor's boss, Faubert, wrote an unrepentant editorial
in Thursday's editions: "We had no desire to add oil to the fire as some
may think. A fundamental principle of democracy and secularism is being
threatened."

But critics argued that publishers should be more discerning in the
battles they choose over freedom of expression. "This is the sort of
thing that will feed into al Qaeda, alienating and angering a lot of
educated young people," Najam Sethi, editor of Pakistan's Daily Times
and Friday Times, said in a telephone interview from Lahore.

Sethi and others see a double standard at work. "People who question
some of the facts of the Holocaust are ostracized; most publishers are
so sensitive they won't even get into the argument," Sethi said. "A
degree of censorship is imposed that is not articulated in this case."

International journalist organizations have condemned the threats of
violence against the European journalists who published the cartoons.

"We defend unpopular speech around the world all the time," said Joel
Simon, deputy director of the New York-based Committee to Protect
Journalists. "We don't make judgments whether we agree or disagree" with
the message. "Sometimes we sort of have to hold our nose, but they've
got the right to say that, and we defend their right."

Europe has roughly 15 million Muslims, who in some countries make up
more than 10 percent of the population. Many analysts see growing social
divisions between the Muslims and the majority populations of the
countries, which are historically Christian but are increasingly secular
in outlook.

Tensions continue in the Netherlands, where in 2004 Dutch filmmaker Theo
van Gogh, whose work carried strong anti-Islamic messages, was
assassinated by Mohammed Bouyeri, a Muslim extremist. In a court
appearance Thursday in that city, Bouyeri said that "the fact that you
see me as the black standard-bearer of Islam in Europe fills me with
honor, pride and joy."

Geert Wilders, a member of the Dutch parliament who has proposed a law
that would ban women from wearing burqas in the Netherlands and has been
the target of death threats, posted the cartoons on his Web site
Thursday under this explanation: "What is the price of freedom? As a
token of support to the Danish cartoonists and to stand up for free
speech, we will place their drawings here."

The controversy, which has inflamed the Middle Eastern press and Islamic
organizations, began when the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten published
the cartoons in September. The newspaper's editors had asked 12 artists
to draw their depictions of Muhammad after an author had complained that
he could not find an artist willing, under his or her own name, to
illustrate a book about the prophet.

The issue received little attention in Europe, however, until this week,
when the Danish company Arla Foods -- the second-largest dairy producer
in Europe -- announced that its Middle Eastern sales had completely
dried up as the controversy continued. On Thursday, the company said it
was laying off about 125 workers because of those losses.

Mahmoud Hashem, 51, who owns a company based in the seaside Saudi city
of Jiddah, said he had sent e-mails to more than 500 people urging them
to stop buying Danish products.

"I think that all Muslims should unite and do something about this,"
said Hashem, reached on his cell phone as he was leaving prayers at a
Jiddah mosque Thursday afternoon. "Anybody who wants to get some press
uses Muslims as a punching bag."

At Sawari Superstores, one of the largest supermarket chains in Jiddah,
signs were posted in the dairy section saying, "We do not sell any
Danish products."

"I am not willing to buy any product from a country that has insulted my
prophet, my religion and my dignity as a Muslim," said Leila Faleh, 42,
a hospital administrator shopping at the store. "I would rather go back
to drinking milk from a cow and eating dates."

Yuri Thamrin, a spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of Indonesia, the
world's most populous Muslim country, called the cartoons' publication
an act of insensitivity that has stoked anger across the Muslim world.
"We as a democratic country value freedom of expression, but believe
freedom of expression has to be conducted wisely and not as a cover to
denigrate or insult religious symbols," Thamrin said.

"It is nothing new," lamented Mohammed Hussein Mudhaffer, a 33-year-old
mechanical engineer in the southern Iraqi city of Najaf. "The publishing
of such cartoons showing the prophet Muhammad is part of the savage
campaign waged by the West against Islam and Muslims."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/02/AR2006020202720.html?nav=hcmodule