[Mb-civic] The Capitol's Tempest in a T-Shirt - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Thu Feb 2 03:47:08 PST 2006

The Capitol's Tempest in a T-Shirt
Chief Apologizes for Ejections at State of Union

By Petula Dvorak
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, February 2, 2006; A01

Two T-shirts -- one black, the other heather gray -- spotted in the
House gallery the night of the president's State of the Union speech
caused a major ruckus on Capitol Hill.

It spilled into yesterday and came complete with impassioned political
speeches, strident questions about rights being trampled, threats of
lawsuits and a hat-in-hand apology from the U.S. Capitol Police chief.

The black shirt with white letters was worn by celebrated war protester
Cindy Sheehan; the white letters read: "2,245 Dead. How Many More?"
Beverly Young, the wife of a Republican congressman, sported a heather
gray top with red, white and blue letters saying, "Support the Troops."

The wearers were hustled out of the House gallery by Capitol police who
said the shirts amounted to protesting.

Late yesterday, after C.W. Bill Young (R-Fla.) had taken to the floor
with an impassioned speech and his wife's T-shirt held aloft, Capitol
Police Chief Terrance W. Gainer showed up at his office to apologize.

Gainer said he also would ask that charges against Sheehan -- she was
arrested; Beverly Young left before it came to that -- be dropped. "It
was," he said, "a good-faith mistake by officers operating under poor
direction."

After a night of fingerprinting and booking and lockup, Sheehan departed
the city. But Young had not, and her response as she enjoyed hugs from
supporters yesterday after the apology was to call Gainer "an idiot."
Witnesses said her words for him were much saltier the night before.

The drama in cotton unfolded when Sheehan, who received a spectator
ticket from Rep. Lynn C. Woolsey (D-Calif.), took her seat and unzipped
her jacket, revealing her antiwar message. Sheehan's son, Casey, was a
soldier who was killed in Iraq in 2004.

A Capitol Police officer spotted the words, pointed to her and yelled,
"Protester!" Sheehan said. "He then ran over to me, hauled me out of my
seat, and roughly . . . shoved me up the stairs," she said, adding that
she was handcuffed, taken away, fingerprinted and booked.

That was before the speech.

About 45 minutes into the speech, an officer asked Beverly Young to step
outside, where he told her: "We consider you a protester" because of her
shirt, she said.

She said she angrily challenged officers to explain what law she had
violated, and they threatened arrest.

She said an officer mentioned that Sheehan was removed earlier and
therefore "it was kind of only fair" that she be asked to leave, too.

"They publicly humiliated me," Young told reporters. "They insulted our
troops."

When the congressman heard what had happened to his wife, he summoned
Gainer to his office and called Karl Rove, the president's deputy chief
of staff.

"When your wife is insulted and embarrassed, you do tend to get a little
offended," Young said yesterday, explaining his upbraiding of Gainer
that night and his fervent speech on the House floor yesterday morning,
when he waved the shirt and bellowed about his wife's ejection: "Shame!
Shame!"

Young said he wouldn't be so mad if it were just Sheehan. "I totally
disagree with everything she stands for," he said. But by removing his
wife, Gainer's officers clearly "acted precipitously," Young said.

Attorneys on Sheehan's side and attorneys for Young pored over case law
yesterday, trying to find precedent for the ejection.

Gainer's office didn't respond to inquiries until after 5 p.m., when he
walked into Young's office and apologized.

"We've asked the U.S. attorney's office to drop the charge against
Sheehan," Gainer said later. "Our interactions both with her and Beverly
Young were inappropriate."

He said he will clarify rules about disruption to remind officers that
"simply having a T-shirt on" does not constitute lawbreaking.

After the mea culpa, Beverly Young, in her T-shirt again, was not
forgiving, calling Gainer "an idiot" who should be replaced.

Her husband said he doesn't want Gainer fired, but when asked if he
might take legal action, he said, "I'm taking it one step at a time."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/01/AR2006020100348.html?nav=hcmodule