[Mb-civic] RE: Coretta Scott King: A Full Partner in The Dream - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Wed Feb 1 03:41:11 PST 2006

A Full Partner in The Dream
Widow Quickly Found Own Voice for Change

By Yvonne Shinhoster Lamb
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, February 1, 2006; A01

Coretta Scott King, who with grace and determination kept her husband's
legacy alive and emerged as one of America's most influential voices for
social change and human rights, died yesterday at an alternative medical
clinic in Mexico. She was 78.

Mrs. King, who suffered a debilitating stroke and heart attack in
August, went to Hospital Santa Monica in Rosarito Beach, a few miles
south of San Diego in Baja California, Mexico, within the past two weeks
for observation and treatment of ovarian cancer.

Widowed by an assassin's bullet on April 4, 1968, Mrs. King did not
grieve publicly. Instead, she immediately filled the void of leadership
and continued to preach the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s philosophy of
nonviolence, making it her own. To ensure that his dream of racial
equality and justice remained etched in the collective consciousness of
the nation and the world, Mrs. King founded the Martin Luther King Jr.
Center for Nonviolent Social Change in his home town of Atlanta. She
also overcame persistent opposition to secure the establishment of a
national federal holiday to honor her late husband, the only such
holiday honoring an African American.

Mrs. King did not simply inherit her husband's legacy; instead, she was
a full partner in marriage and in the struggle for equality, Del.
Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.) said yesterday.

"When we lost King, she did what partners do," said Norton, a veteran of
the civil rights movement. "Coretta carried forward the authentic
essence of their life's work for nonviolence and universal human rights.
She worked so ceaselessly and magnificently for the great causes they
had both embraced that she succeeded in creating her own way and carving
her own unique and matchless role."

A woman whose determination shone through a poised, regal demeanor, Mrs.
King emerged from her husband's enormous shadow within days of his death
and began casting a bright light of her own. As a newly widowed, single
mother of four young children, she set a new course for her life as an
advocate of many causes, an international speaker, an author and a
humanitarian.

Standing in Ebenezer Baptist Church two days after her husband was
killed on the balcony of the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, Mrs. King told a
crowd: "My husband faced the possibility of death without bitterness or
hatred. He knew that this was a sick society, totally infested with
racism and violence. . . . He struggled with every ounce of his energy
to save that society from itself. He never hated. He never despaired of
well-doing. And he encouraged us to do likewise, and so he prepared us
constantly for tragedy. . . . Our concern now is that his work does not
die."

A day before his funeral, Mrs. King, with her three oldest children by
her side, led tens of thousands of people in a protest march for
sanitation workers in Memphis that her husband planned. "See that his
spirit never dies," she said.

In the ensuing days and months, under the glare of media attention, she
marched in her husband's place at protests and spoke at anti-Vietnam War
rallies and the Poor People's Campaign in Washington. She also tried to
calm the raging anger and violence that his death ignited in several
U.S. cities.

Prominent among her accomplishments was the establishment of Martin
Luther King Jr. Day.

It took 15 years of pushing, with some 6 million petitions presented to
Congress, before the first holiday was officially commemorated in 1986.
In 1983, President Ronald Reagan, who had initially opposed the holiday
as too costly, signed legislation marking the third Monday in January.

"People said it wouldn't happen," Lynn Cothern, Mrs. King's special
assistant, told the Kansas City Star in 1999. "She did it the
old-fashioned way: It was presented every year to Congress. She'd lobby
for it, and she took petitions to [then House Speaker] Tip O'Neill."

Determined still to create a lasting legacy, Mrs. King founded the King
Center in the basement of her home in 1968.

Some civil rights leaders and others complained that it would divert
money from the movement, including the organization her husband founded,
the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, but she pressed on in
spite of many obstacles. The scholarly center, which holds King's
speeches and other documents about the movement, sits on 23 acres of
national parkland near his grave site and family home. Mrs. King served
as president of the center for 26 years until stepping down in 1994 and
turning the organization over to her youngest son, Dexter.

Her other son, Martin Luther King III, assumed leadership of the center
in 2004. The future of the center is now in question amid family
disagreements over a potential sale to the National Park Service.

A Steady Voice for Change

Over the years, Mrs. King traveled the world, speaking on college
campuses and at churches, meeting with heads of state and political
leaders. She supported legislation for full employment and advocated for
equal rights and economic justice for women. She disparaged war and
promoted world peace. She marched against discrimination in the South
and was arrested in the United States for protesting apartheid in South
Africa. She became an advocate for the rights of gay men and lesbians,
much to the chagrin of some black religious and political leaders and
against the preaching of her youngest daughter, Bernice.

For a generation of African American women, who saw her as a picture of
dignity and strength draped in black and comforting her young daughter
at her husband's funeral, she was "the black Jackie Onassis." More than
anything, though, throughout the past 37 years and despite her own
significant activism, she was known as "Dr. King's widow."

She probably would not have had it any other way.

She once told Ebony magazine: "I will always be out here doing the
things I do, and I'm not going to stop talking about Martin and
promoting what I think is important in terms of teaching other people
his meaning so they can live in such a way as to make a contribution to
our advancement and progress."

Coretta Scott was born April 27, 1927, in Heiberger, Ala., in a house
her father, Obadiah Scott, built in 1920. He and his wife, Bernice
McMurry, had married that same year and taken up residence on land that
had been in his family for generations.

"By the time I was born, he had saved enough money to buy a truck and
was hauling logs and timber for the local sawmill operator," Mrs. King
wrote in a memoir.

During the Depression, her father began what he called "truck farming."
On its farm, the family raised vegetables as well as hogs, cows and
chickens.

As soon as she and her sister and brother were old enough to hold a hoe,
they helped out on the farm. At 10, Mrs. King was digging and chopping
cotton with the hired workers. She even hired herself out to make money
for school supplies.

"I remember one special year when I made seven dollars picking cotton,"
she said in her book, "My Life With Martin Luther King" (1963). "I was
always very strong, and I made a very good cotton picker. Martin used to
tease me about it, years later, saying that was why he had married me.
He would say, 'If you hadn't met me, you'd still be down there picking
cotton.' "

Her Own Dreams

As a young girl, Mrs. King knew she wanted something better than the
segregated life that rural Alabama could give her. She witnessed the
disparities in education between black and white students, noting once
that she had to walk six miles, no matter the weather, to and from her
one-room elementary school while white students were bused to brick
buildings in nearby Marion.

Her parents taught her that education was the path to freedom. She said
her mother forcefully told her: "You get an education and try to be
somebody. Then you won't have to be kicked around by anybody, and you
won't have to depend on anyone for your livelihood -- not even a man."

Her parents paid the $4.50-a-year tuition to send her to Lincoln High
School in Marion, a semiprivate school for blacks run by the American
Missionary Association.

Her musical talents blossomed there with teachers she admired greatly.
She learned to play the flutophone, the trumpet and the piano and
skillfully performed in various school programs. She also developed her
talents as a singer.

After graduating as valedictorian of her high school class in 1945, Mrs.
King enrolled at Antioch College in Yellow Springs, Ohio, following in
the footsteps of her older sister, Edythe, the first black student to
attend the college. At Antioch, she encountered racism not unlike what
she had experienced growing up in Alabama. She also found her voice and
her resolve as an activist.

She called it "an unfortunate thing" when she was "the first Negro" to
major in elementary education, because it required her to teach a year
in an Ohio public elementary school, which the Yellow Springs School
Board would not allow her to do.

Although disillusioned, she became more motivated than ever to see that
what happened to her wouldn't happen to others. She joined the local
chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored
People, a race-relations committee and a civil liberties committee. "I
was active on all of them," she wrote. "From the first, I had been
determined to get ahead not just for myself, but to do something for my
people and for all people."

Nevertheless, she was grateful for the opportunities that Antioch
afforded her, among them the chance to appear on a program with famous
baritone Paul Robeson.

A Life-Altering Meeting

After graduating in 1951, she followed her desire to develop her voice
as a concert artist by studying at the New England Conservatory in
Boston. Less than a year had passed when she was introduced to a young
minister who was a seminary student at Boston University, and her life
took a detour.

The two married on June 18, 1953, at the Scotts' home in Alabama, and
then the young students returned to Boston to complete their studies.
She graduated with a music degree in 1954, and he received his doctoral
degree.

That same year, the couple moved to Montgomery, Ala., where he took over
the pulpit at Dexter Avenue Baptist Church and she began her duties as a
pastor's wife. Within a year, the Montgomery bus boycott was ignited
when Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a city bus, and King was
thrust into the spotlight as the leader of the historic boycott.

Mrs. King, by then the mother of their first child, Yolanda, joined her
husband in the rights demonstrations from Montgomery to Memphis that
ultimately changed the country's most discriminatory laws. Throughout
the births of their other three children, she also was actively involved
in organizing and planning marches and protests.

She lent her finely tuned singing voice to a series of "Freedom
Concerts" that she originated to raise money for the SCLC and sometimes
gave speeches in her husband's stead. She traveled throughout the world
with King, spending a month with him on his pilgrimage to India in 1959
and accompanying him to Oslo in 1964 to receive the Nobel Peace Prize.

After his death, Mrs. King broadened the scope of her vision and her
speeches beyond race. She called for women of all hues "to fight the
three great evils of racism, poverty and war." She coordinated the
Coalition of Conscience in 1983, which sponsored the 20th anniversary of
the March on Washington, and attended a nuclear disarmament conference
in Geneva.

Mrs. King riled some civil rights leaders in 1997 when she called for a
new trial for James Earl Ray, the man convicted of killing her husband.
She had believed, like some others, that Ray was not the true killer but
that a government intelligence agency committed the crime.

Mrs. King's last public appearance was Jan. 14 at a "Salute to
Greatness" dinner in Atlanta, a fundraiser for the King Center. It also
celebrated the 20th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. She
smiled graciously from her wheelchair, receiving a standing ovation from
the 1,500 guests surprised and pleased by her presence.

Survivors include four children, a sister and a brother.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/31/AR2006013101598.html?referrer=email