[Mb-civic] Showtime at the White House - Ari Fleischer - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Thu Apr 27 03:59:19 PDT 2006

Showtime at the White House
<>
By Ari Fleischer
The Washington Post
Thursday, April 27, 2006; A27

The Washington press corps -- working in an industry that's been
transformed by talk radio, 24-hour cable news and the Internet -- still
views the White House briefing room as it was back in the 1950s -- or
the '60s, '70s, '80s or even early '90s. Despite dramatic changes forged
by live coverage and instant analysis, the press fondly adheres to the
notion that the briefing can be conducted the way it used to be.

But as Tony Snow, the new White House press secretary, will soon
discover, the briefing is no longer a briefing, it's a TV show.

Gone are the days when this daily session was a serious affair, with
mostly serious questions asked and mostly serious answers given.
Instead, the public is now treated to a spectacle in which the media do
their best to pressure the White House, regardless of which party is in
power, into admitting that much of what the president is doing is wrong,
and the White House pushes back. The two sides talk past each other, and
the viewing public gets to watch a good fight.

Before 24-hour cable news and the Internet, reporters at the briefings
asked tough questions and generally received straight answers. Because
the quantity of coverage was limited and the quality was driven by the
next day's newspapers and the 6:30 evening news, with major figures such
as Walter Cronkite delivering it, press secretaries didn't have to worry
that their every word or thought would instantly be reported live on the
North Lawn of the White House.

There was only one news cycle, and it lasted about 24 hours. Today
there's no telling when a news cycle begins and ends. It's 24 hours a
day, and reporters are under constant pressure from editors to update
their stories a dozen times a day. Reporters are in endless pursuit of
"the latest development" or "this just in," even if there are no
developments of late or even if what's "just in" is barely news at all.

Press secretaries realize that their audience isn't only the couple of
dozen reporters in the room. It's also the hundreds of thousands of
people who tune in to watch, giving the press secretary a forum to "get
out the message."

Not so long ago, when Marlin Fitzwater was press secretary to the first
President Bush, TV cameras weren't permitted to cover the briefing live.
One of President Bill Clinton's press secretaries, Mike McCurry, in an
effort to accommodate the new 24-hour-a-day cable news programs, allowed
his briefings to be open to TV coverage. Poor Mike. The first briefing
the press covered live was on the day the Monica Lewinsky story broke.
Since then the briefing room has never been the same.

In addition to the televised session, I used to brief the press every
morning in something called "the gaggle." It was on the record, but no
TV cameras were allowed. The gaggle was more informative and serious
than the briefing. Reporters didn't posture as much for their colleagues
and editors, since their reporting wasn't on the air. If I ducked a
question at the gaggle -- such as the ones I was asked immediately after
Sept. 11, 2001, about whether a military strike was "coming within
hours, days, weeks or months" (I was asked that actual question) -- the
reporters didn't attempt to ask me the same thing 17 different ways, as
they did at the televised briefing. They got the point: The White House
wasn't answering.

Of course, the reporters aren't the only ones who behave differently
before the cameras. I acted differently, too. At the televised briefing
I would sometimes lean into the podium, raise my hand and do my best to
deliver a sound bite for the evening news. I liked mixing it up with
reporters. I enjoyed a good intellectual televised argument. But the
briefing always had an air of theater to it -- on both sides of the
podium. It was easier to give thoughtful explanations of controversial
issues at the gaggle or during the numerous times a day reporters
strolled into my office to talk with me.

It may not be the briefing it once was, but it is still an important show.

The writer was President Bush's press secretary from January 2001 to
July 2003.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/26/AR2006042602352.html