[Mb-civic] A genius of a man, he believed in hope - James Carroll - Boston Globe Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Mon Apr 24 04:02:26 PDT 2006

  A genius of a man, he believed in hope

By James Carroll  |  April 24, 2006  |  The Boston Globe

''WILLIAM Sloane Coffin dies at 81," The New York Times headline read
last week. A subhead defined him as ''A preacher on behalf of the poor
to the most prominent."

The Globe headline read, ''CIA agent became beacon of antiwar movement."

Even these quick references caught the genius of the man, and, as I
collected my thoughts in preparing to speak at a memorial service, I saw
what had made him great. There was tension in the headlines -- poor
versus prominent, CIA versus antiwar -- and such tension gave structure
to his life. A first white man to stand with blacks in the civil rights
movement. A patrician who was tribune of the nobodies. A patriot who had
served his country nobly, but was suddenly in disobedient dissent. A
critical thinker with a simple faith. Bill embodied in his biography the
possibility that the divisions of life can be broughtinto resolution.

What made Bill Coffin famous was his rhetorical flair. His genius for
the energetic sound bite was the solution to every reporter's deadline
problem.

''It's not enough to pray for peace. Work for justice!"

''War is a coward's escape from the problems of peace."

''We must be governed by the force of law, not by the law of force."

Such language was a reflection of the choices that defined him -- the
dynamic of ''versus" again. This is the rhetoric of irony, a bringing
together of polarities to see how the tensions of life and the various
levels of meaning can be brought to resolution. Irony of this sort is
the essence of humor, which is why those who knew Bill Coffin, or ever
heard him speak, remember, above all, his great rolling laughter.

Irony depends on an exquisite balance of language and ideas both,
opposites held in tension with each other not to split them apart, but
to propose a new kind of unity. In the choices he made, and in the
language he used, Bill Coffin held up the possibility of hope. He
proclaimed by his preaching and his living that the human heart is not
doomed to break, however cracked it is by war, by injustice, or even by
the sorrows, say, of a child who dies too young.

By his preaching and living, Bill Coffin told us that the divisions of
the human heart can be brought into unexpected harmony. This, of course,
always assumes that ''the heart is a little to the left." That book
title of his, derived from the Brazilian Archbishop Helder Camarra, is
the perfect example of the free and freeing mind of Bill Coffin, a sly
but gentle jibe at right-wingers, reminding them that the human body
itself suggests we are all meant to be liberals.

A man of paradox and hope. For all of the political power that accrued
to Bill, through his civil rights and antiwar celebrity, it was his
religious conviction that most defined him. Peace and justice were his
absolute values. But, by his own account, he had those values not from
his privileged background, nor from his beloved America, nor from Yale.
To the mystification and even consternation of many, Bill Coffin defined
himself by Jesus. And what did Bill love about Jesus, if not the
paradox? The contradictions that added up to hope. Jesus, the peasant
nobody who is Lord of the universe. Jesus, the victim who is victorious.
Jesus, who can say, ''My God, my God, why have You abandoned me?" while
also saying, ''Into Your hands." With that habitual rhetorical flair of
his, Bill said, ''I don't know what is waiting for me after death, but I
do know Who." I first met Bill Coffin 40 years ago, when I was a
seminarian. He gave me a new idea of what the ministry could be. In
large part because of him, I became a college chaplain -- and then,
however timidly, a war resister. Once, I found myself in a jail cell
next to his after a demonstration. Through a long and -- to me --
terrible night, Bill led the cellblock in choruses from Handel's
''Messiah." Even now, when I hear its sweetest refrain -- ''Comfort ye!"
-- I hear his resonant voice. I am consoled and emboldened by both.

Through the decades, Bill faithfully maintained his commitments. He was
a firm critic of the unnecessary war in Iraq, and he never stopped
decrying America's unbroken bondage to nuclear weapons. But with his
unfailing generosity of spirit, he never stopped embodying the hope that
oppositions, even of the kind that still divide his beloved America, can
be overcome.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2006/04/24/a_genius_of_a_man_he_believed_in_hope/