[Mb-civic] E-VOTING 2006: The Approaching Train Wreck + Actions!

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 20 21:36:08 PDT 2006

E-VOTING 2006: The Approaching Train Wreck  by John Gideon,
VotersUnite.org and VoteTrustUSA.
Our Elections are Now Officially 'A National Disaster in the
Making'
Normally this space is taken with my ideas of what are the "Top 5"
voting news stories for the week. Today I am going to use this space to
talk about what I see as the beginning of a disaster in the making with
our elections. This isn't the election fraud that some point to when they
talk about the vendors and some elections officials. It's not about
recounts or audits. This is a real, get your hands around it, happening
problem that will disrupt our election process if we do not do something
about it now. While we have been involved in all of our issues about
Direct Recording Electronic (DRE or "touch-screen") voting machines
or paper ballots the electronic voting machine vendors have been
wreaking complete havoc across the country.

So far this year two states have conducted primary elections. In Texas
there is at least one candidate who has stepped forward and has
challenged the election because of anomalies in vote counts and
known voting machine failures. One county's machines counted some
votes up to 6 times which resulted in approximately 100,000 more
votes being counted than were cast. Though the vendor, Hart
Intercivic, initially blamed the problem on human error, they finally had
to admit that it was a programming error and not poll workers or voters
who had erred. In Illinois some county officials are threatening to
withhold final payment of funds on contracts with Sequoia Voting
Systems because of failures with their machines that ended with
results in the primary not being known for over a week after the voters
went to the polls. In both states the involved vendors were very
successful in the media with deflecting the blame from their machines
to "human errors" or "glitches". However, when you listen to people
who were there and who saw and worked through the problems you
get a very different picture.

As these primaries were being conducted Summit County Ohio
announced that over 70% of the memory cards for their precinct based
optical-scan machines would not work. The vendor, ES&S, announced
that their memory card contractor had made mistakes on some cards
and they would be replaced. Memory cards for electronic voting
machines store vote tabulations amongst other things.

Apparently ES&S does not consider 'Quality Control' to be a worthwhile
corporate value because they never bothered to check those cards.
They replaced the bad cards and 20% of those cards failed. Now, this
week, the newest batch of cards were delivered after being tested
twice by ES&S. They were tested by the county who found that 4% of
those cards failed. In the meantime all 1000 memory cards delivered
to the state of North Carolina were replaced because of a large
percentage of failures. There is no report, yet, of how many of the
1000 memory cards are bad and will need replacement except that
local counties still have not received their cards.

Meanwhile early voting began in Indiana and Nebraska. 69 of the 93
counties in Nebraska have no paper ballots from their vendor, ES&S,
and no ballot programming for their voting machines. 11 counties in
Indiana have the same problems and they are threatening lawsuits.
Prebel County Ohio reported they had not gotten their paper ballots.
On March 29 the Texas Secretary of State sent an urgent
memorandum to all county clerks, elections administrators and county
chairs noting that many officials had not received electronic
programming or paper ballots for primary runoff elections to be held on
April 11.
"We recognize that this kind of service from our certified voting
systems vendors is completely unacceptable and disturbing," the
memo states. "We will be pursuing all appropriate remedies from a
state level that are available to us."
(continued bel
In Pennsylvania ES&S has become the main provider of voting
systems and they are not able to deliver all machines that they are
contracted to deliver to the counties in time for the primary. They are
asking counties to accept a small percentage of the machines they
need to conduct elections. In some instances counties may be left with
fewer machines than they need to satisfy the accessibility mandates of
HAVA and they will have to find another means of meeting that
requirement.
Why don't the states or counties speak out? Just this week Marion
County Indiana  held a county council meeting and demanded that the
local ES&S representative attend. Marion County's ballots for a school
board position were received with no instructions printed for the voters.
Instead ES&S sent an attorney with orders not to say anything except
that the representative was involved in a conference call that began 15
minutes before the council meeting and that he would not be able to
attend.

Johnson County Clerk, Jill Jackson had this to say about their
experience with ES&S:
    "I guess what bothered us the most is that it's like it's no big
    deal that they missed a statutory deadline," Jackson said of
    ES&S. "They're a big company and it's like they don't care, that
    they'll get (the ballots) to us when they get them done, and
    that's not acceptable. I'm extremely disappointed in the vendor."
What is reported above is only what has been in the media. We now
have reports from Nevada County, California that ES&S has missed its
deadline for delivery of paper ballots to the county. They were due to
be delivered on April 6. On April 7 the county registrar received
Democratic ballots only and those were filled with errors and will need
to be returned to ES&S. The county also has not had their ballot
programming done, as promised.

In Wake County, North Carolina they have 218, just tested, ES&S M-
100 precinct based optical-scan machines. ES&S acceptance tested
the 218 machines to their standards and failed 11 of those machines.
The remaining 207 machines were delivered to a county contractor,
InfoSentry, who tested those machines and failed 5. ES&S then
delivered 11 machines to replace the machines they had failed and
InfoSentry failed 2 of those. This represents a 7.8% failure rate or 18
failures out of 229 machines received. Where is the quality control?

Why is this happening? It is very apparent that some of the voting
machine vendors over-extended their ability to meet their contracts for
machines and for ancillary services like paper ballot printing. These
companies saw an opportunity to make a lot of money at the expense
of the tax payers and they saw a deadline of 1 January 2006 that fit
right in with their plans to get as much money as possible this year.
The vendors are raking in the money through deceptive practices and
shoddy workmanship.

Dennis Vadura is the former CEO of AccuPoll, a voting machine
vendor that has filed for bankruptcy. He has this to say about the
industry (emphasis added):
    "I am not happy about the outcome, or the state of the industry.
    I think that something needs to be done. I'm not sure what it is,
    it probably doesn't include AccuPoll at this point, but I do not
    feel that any of the vendors has a system that voters can
    trust. I think that vendors outright misrepresent the robustness,
    stability, and security of their systems. You just have to look at
    the litany of problems and it points at one thing, bad
    fundamental design, and not enough checks and balances. I
    also wonder why the other vendors were so adamant in fighting
    a VVPAT [Voter-Verified Paper Audit Trail] system requirement.
    They spent much more in fighting it than in implementing it."
Yesterday I heard a speech from my county auditor who is the head
election official in my county in Washington state. She said that those
who are raising concerns about voting and elections are just
undermining the confidence of the voting public. What a naïve
statement to make. We all need to be aware of what is happening to
our elections. We all need to talk to our counties, states, and federal
officials and let them know that we are headed for a disaster nationally.
Maybe your county is in good shape but this is a national issue and a
national disaster in the making.

The Help America Vote Act (HAVA) of 2002 should have been
changed to extend the dead-line for another year. Many of us argued
for this but our arguments fell on deaf ears. Now our local elections
officials are being held-up by vendors who know they have them over a
barrel and that the counties must do something right now or face
penalties from the Department of Justice.

This issue has nothing to do with security of voting machines or
accuracy or voter verified paper ballots or some vendor CEO having
ties to a political party. It is just about contractors who are out to grab
every dollar they can get and they don't seem to care that our elections
are going to suffer for their actions or inactions. And imagine, this is
only the first year. Counties have HAVA funds to spend this year. What
happens next year when those counties get the bills for technical
assistance, ballot printing, maintenance, ballot programming, and
machine storage? ES&S certainly doesn't care about that. They show
that every day.

I often get asked, "What can I do?" Well, the time for action is now.
Pass this article on to your local, state and federal elected officials and
ask them to do a little reading of the media reports included in this
article. They are far from being the only articles on this subject. Ask
them how they are going to handle these problems when it comes time
for their primaries. Don't let them tell you it won't happen there
because it very easily can happen there or here or the next state over.
We, you and I, need to take action on this now for the sake of our
elections. We are headed for a train wreck.

Actions to Take Now
All U.S. Citizens: Demand Fair Elections in Florida!
http://www.votetrustusa.org/Florida.htm

Nationwide: Support Emery County UT Clerk Bruce Funk
http://www.congressweb.com/cweb4/index.cfm?orgcode=VTUSA&hoti
ssue=15

National: Pass HR 550 As Written!
http://www.congressweb.com/cweb4/index.cfm?orgcode=VTUSA&hoti
ssue=1

National: Say No to Prohibited Software in Voting Machines!
http://www.congressweb.com/cweb4/index.cfm?orgcode=VTUSA&hoti
ssue=4

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

"A war of aggression is the supreme international crime." -- Robert Jackson,
 former U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice and Nuremberg prosecutor